How much to serve at parties

Reaction score
Super useful guide for those who offer or might be thinking of offering a party :)

682c0fa59e1fb495f6056aad752e44b5.jpg

Reaction score
Oh gosh - lifesaver. I blame my overcatering tendencies on the fact that I'm half Italian and my Nonna didn't know how to cater appropriately - apparently to her we all needed about 5 full meals any time we sat down to dinner at her house. She'd always tell me I was looking too skinny even if I'd gained a few pounds!

Gonna print this out and stick it on my fridge, I think!

Reaction score
This is the greatest chart ever! I am one of those that always gets way too much food and then has to deal with a mountain of leftovers. I do not mind snacking on what is left, but more food costs more money.

Reaction score
It is indeed, one of the greatest charts ever. I never knew how to accurately prepare per guest, I always guesstimated and failed by making too much or too little. This indeed a reference I may even print and keep with me! Handy.

Reaction score
We had experienced it many times at home how to organized and prepared foods for our family party. It was just based on estimates counting the members of the family of our relatives and their other companions who are invited. That is why we are always preparing excess foods to be sure we will not run out of shortage when the party is already held. But sometimes not all that are invited comes that is why in order not to waste the extra foods we offer them to bring take out foods to bring them home. This serving guide for a party is awesome and I will surely made this as a reference if we had an upcoming party. Thanks for sharing!

Reaction score
That sounds like a great idea @ReadmeByAmy i might actually try that the next time I offer a party, my grandma always did that when she knew there would be a lot leftovers :) She hated to waste food an sometimes not everyone you invite can make it.

Reaction score
It is indeed, one of the greatest charts ever. I never knew how to accurately prepare per guest, I always guesstimated and failed by making too much or too little. This indeed a reference I may even print and keep with me! Handy.

You are welcome and I am glad it was useful to you, I hope your next party is a total and complete success :) I think having a visual guide like this one helps!

This is the greatest chart ever! I am one of those that always gets way too much food and then has to deal with a mountain of leftovers. I do not mind snacking on what is left, but more food costs more money.

Yeah, I hate seeing food going to waste and sometimes you just ca't finish all the leftovers, that is why I started doing what my grandma did: offer as take out so people would take some of that food home, because I knew I'd not finish it all anyway. But with this guide you can avoid spending that much on food :)

Reaction score
Oh gosh - lifesaver. I blame my overcatering tendencies on the fact that I'm half Italian and my Nonna didn't know how to cater appropriately - apparently to her we all needed about 5 full meals any time we sat down to dinner at her house. She'd always tell me I was looking too skinny even if I'd gained a few pounds!

Gonna print this out and stick it on my fridge, I think!

Aww, your grandma must have been such a sweetheart, and let me tell you Jewish grandmothers are a lot like that as well, they love to feed their family. I am not a grandma yet, but I already like to feed everyone around me, I'll definitely be one of those grandmothers if I ever get that old =D

Glad to hear you found it that useful :) I'm sure your next party will be a complete success.

Reaction score
Aww, your grandma must have been such a sweetheart, and let me tell you Jewish grandmothers are a lot like that as well, they love to feed their family. I am not a grandma yet, but I already like to feed everyone around me, I'll definitely be one of those grandmothers if I ever get that old =D

Glad to hear you found it that useful :) I'm sure your next party will be a complete success.

Haha, I think a lot of grandmas are like that! They love to just look after us and food is a big way of showing their love. She was an amazing cook but BOY did she over-cater! We all got to bring home leftovers though so it wasn't too bad!

Reaction score
Haha, I think a lot of grandmas are like that! They love to just look after us and food is a big way of showing their love. She was an amazing cook but BOY did she over-cater! We all got to bring home leftovers though so it wasn't too bad!

My grandma was also a good cook, sadly my mom didn't take after that :( She doesn't like to cook or bake to this date :( So I didn't get to really enjoy a lot things as a child, only when we went to see grandma :p It was awesome!

Ask a Question