How old is too old and how young is too young?

Reaction score
When it comes to dating, how old is too old for you and how young is too young for you. I'm not the type to date anyone who is way older than me and I was never into dating anyone really younger than me. I'm in a very committed relationship now but I think the oldest guy I was ever involved with was 5 years older than me but I preferred someone a year or two older than me and the youngest guy is my boyfriend now, he's 3 years younger than me. I don't judge people but I could never be with someone who is 20 years older than me.

Reaction score
I dated a guy that was 12 years older than me. It was fun for a while but I quickly learned that we weren't compatible at all. He had a mortgage and lived in California and I was a poor college student. I admit that we had some fun times, he would fly me out and we would go see some really cool sites but he wasn't relationship material and he knew that. I have never dated anyone younger than me and now my husband is 2 years older than me.

Reaction score
I've only dated 2 people in my life. The first was about 3 months younger than me, which is definitely as young as I would go and the 2nd is (I'm currently dating him) 7 years older than me. It seems like a drastic change from youngest to oldest but love comes in the strangest ways. I would never date anyone who is 10+ years older than me and no less than a few months younger. I'm no judging either, but I honestly can't imagine how it is that someone can date someone who is 20 years older, life doesn't last forever.

Reaction score
I don't set myself any age restrictions or other rules. Things I look for are more along the lines of deeply rooted connection and making sure both parties want the same things. Most people I dated were older than me though.

Reaction score
I have only dated men younger, but I don't have a particular preference. I only limit the age to ten years apart either way. I will not date anyone who is more than ten years older or younger.

Reaction score
I think when you meet someone and 'it clicks' you might not care anymore about your age rule : )) But that's just me. I used to have my little checklist but every time I met someone special I ignored them :p

Reaction score
Up until recently I only dated men who were older than me, the oldest being 19 years older than I was (what a mess that was) and the average being 5-7 years older than I am. My current boyfriend is 3 years younger than me and I think that is as young as I would go. But I don't like to put set limits on these types of things because I think maturity levels really depend on the person.

Reaction score
Well, my husband is eight years older than me, and we met when I was fourteen. We've been together, in some form or another, pretty much ever since. We didn't really start dating until I was fifteen, but looking back we were dating really since the first time we met to be honest, we just didn't know it at the time.

It all depends upon the person if you ask me.

Reaction score
I think when you are little, being with someone younger is easier than at later stage, because in your 20s-30s for example you might end up in different stages- you in university with him working or the other way around, or you being ready for marriage while he is still enjoying his freedom and so on...Not that any of those can not work, but it is a bigger problem when you are in different life stages.
Same goes the other way around for someone older. The older you are the bigger age difference you can handle in a relationship, I think. As for me, I did date someone 3 years younger than me in university once. Didn't work. Generally I seem to get along the best with someone a little older than me(I always felt older than my age). I'm currently in a relationship with a guy that's 3 years older, and it has been the best one I have had so far.

Reaction score
I think when you are little, being with someone younger is easier than at later stage, because in your 20s-30s for example you might end up in different stages- you in university with him working or the other way around, or you being ready for marriage while he is still enjoying his freedom and so on...Not that any of those can not work, but it is a bigger problem when you are in different life stages.
Same goes the other way around for someone older. The older you are the bigger age difference you can handle in a relationship, I think. As for me, I did date someone 3 years younger than me in university once. Didn't work. Generally I seem to get along the best with someone a little older than me(I always felt older than my age). I'm currently in a relationship with a guy that's 3 years older, and it has been the best one I have had so far.
That's true, being in totally different life stages can indeed cause some problems. You can overcome it if you try and really like the person, but...yeah, it's difficult to connect with someone that is too far apart from you.

Reaction score
For me, I would say no more than 5 years' difference. Actually, at 25, I wouldn't even go that much younger. I was wild and crazy and 20 and am very settled now. I'm be 26 on April 30, and my boyfriend will be 30 in December. I think that's a pretty reasonable age difference.

Reaction score
I guess I would put the limit on 5 years, for me at least. I don't judge people who are with people older than they are--although I sometimes shudder at the thought of a couple with a 20-year age gap. But I guess there's different strokes for different folks and nobody has a right to judge others for their choice of partners. As long as they really love each other, I guess its okay.

Reaction score
I really can't see myself dating someone that is significantly younger than me. I don't even think I could manage dating a 20 year old. It would just feel awkward to me, to be with someone that is younger. I am 23 years old and my boyfriend is 32. I can't imagine dating someone with more than a ten gap difference, but then again I couldn't see myself with someone in their thirties.

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess it depends. I dated a 32-year-old when I was 21, but that was very, very brief. It was also pretty meaningless LOL. I think when there is too much of an age difference, it can make it so that you don't really have anything in common. plus, being at different stages in life really makes a difference.

Reaction score
Luckily, my boyfriend and I have a ton in common in our 9-year-gap. We bump heads sometimes, but overall we get along. :]

Reaction score
M finace is about 6 years older than me and I think that would be about the limit. I would never go for someone who was younger than me as guys can be immature.

Reaction score
I like dating men that are a little bit older than me, but not too old- 5 years older is the most i'll go, and 5 years younger as well. There are exceptions of course though :)

Reaction score
I don't want to let my children date too young, I'll just not let that happen! I'll not allow them to date until they are 18 or they're done with college, yeah, I know it sounds crazy, but I know what can happen if they date too soon. I know someone who let their kids have ''girlfriends'' since they were 6 years old, yes, 6! They just hanged out, kissed, but even that is too much for a kid? Don't you think???

As for me, I'd never date a guy who is 20 years older than me! I once dated a guy who was 10 years older than me, we had a bad time... I was too immature back then tho. I'd never date a guy who is 10 years younger than me, that's for sure, lol.

Reaction score
I really can't see myself dating someone that is significantly younger than me. I don't even think I could manage dating a 20 year old. It would just feel awkward to me, to be with someone that is younger. I am 23 years old and my boyfriend is 32. I can't imagine dating someone with more than a ten gap difference, but then again I couldn't see myself with someone in their thirties.

Same here! I can see myself dealing with an older guy, but never a young guy. Good, even some guys in their 30's are so damn immature, now can you imagine a 20 year old? Jesus! I very much prefer older guys, younger guys could be fine for a night out, but never a relationship.

Ask a Question