How to avoid over baking cookies

Reaction score
Over baking cookies can be a result of varying oven temperatures (an oven's actual temperature may fluctuate widely); using an oven thermometer to correctly gauge the actual temperature of your oven can also help a great deal.

Reaction score
Several factors lie into making sure you don't over bake your cookies. The biggest reason would be putting them into the oven and forgetting about them. (I'm guilty of this!) A timer set should be a good habit to get into.

Reaction score
I use parchament paper too to avoid the bottoms of the cookies getting burned. Some people say this is cheating, but my cookies turn out perfect everytime.

Reaction score
I use parchament paper too to avoid the bottoms of the cookies getting burned. Some people say this is cheating, but my cookies turn out perfect everytime.

I wouldn't call it cheating, I call it sensible! Some of my baking sheets can get really hot, and the cookies can burn easily if they are in direct contact. Also, it's a bit hit and miss and to whether or not they'll stick, so better safe than sorry. ;) I will always opt for baking parchment for cookies.

Reaction score

Awesome video on how to avoid over baking cookies(From Youtube). It works.

Woww! Thank you so much for the suggestion! I honestly believe that this should be attached to every cookie recipe, at least to edify those who aren't aware of this anti-burn cookie-baking method! I always end up testing and testing and testing away my cookies, while exposing myself to the heat of the oven, and getting frustrated because my cookies just aren't ready yet. Well, with this method, I think I have a greater insight into how baking cookies works, and at least now, I know what to look for when checking to see if my cookies are ready!
Here's to perfect cookies! Thanks!

Reaction score
Woww! Thank you so much for the suggestion! I honestly believe that this should be attached to every cookie recipe, at least to edify those who aren't aware of this anti-burn cookie-baking method! I always end up testing and testing and testing away my cookies, while exposing myself to the heat of the oven, and getting frustrated because my cookies just aren't ready yet. Well, with this method, I think I have a greater insight into how baking cookies works, and at least now, I know what to look for when checking to see if my cookies are ready!
Here's to perfect cookies! Thanks!

The only thing I would disagree with in the video is the suggestion that it's better to under-bake than over-bake your cookies - but this is just a personal preference. I was experimenting with lemon, cardamom and white chocolate chip cookies yesterday, and some were over-baked because I forgot about them(!!) but they tasted even better than the baked-just-right ones.

Purely personal preference though. ;)

Reaction score
Lol, that's great though! I think that I actually get what you mean! Did you prefer the crispiness of the texture when you were able to savor these traditionally over-baked cookies?
I agree that underbaking cookies can be a bit off-putting, but as you've rightly stated, I think it boils down to "personal preference", because in all honesty, I really do prefer me a good, soft and gooey cookie, on ANY day!
Thanks for sharing though; I'll definitely bear your advice in mind when I'm catering to persons who prefer a crispier cookie!

Reaction score
Thanks for the video. It gave me a lot of insight on baking cookies. I think this will work for me.

Reaction score
I like to slightly under bake my cookies and then leave them on the hot baking sheet for a few minutes after I take them out of the oven. This prevent the cookie from geting too brown and the left over heat from the cookei sheet adds some additional baking time.

Reaction score

Awesome video on how to avoid over baking cookies(From Youtube). It works.
It's hard to get it to an exact science, however, I always take my cookies out of the oven 1 minute before the designated time. The reason for this is they still cook slightly even after you remove them from the oven. The cookie sheet is at such a high temperature it's just what happens. This way I can make sure my cookies stay soft. :)

Thanks for sharing this video, very informative. :)

Danyel :)

Reaction score
I was always taught to keep a close eye on them and use my oven light. I'm guessing not everyone has a good oven light they can use perhaps, but I find it so helpful in seeing the cookies without having to open the door and cause a change in temperature. Once you get familiar with cookies and what they look like, it's pretty easy to tell what it looks like when they are done.

Ask a Question