How to Make Jamaican Beef Patties

Have you tried a Jamaican beef patty before?

• No, but I would love to.

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Yes, and I loved it!

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Patty.jpg

If you can't see the image clearly, that's supposed to be a Jamaican Beef Patty. This is, of course, a savory dish which is a short crust pastry stuffed with minced beef. I would like to give you some tips before making this recipe: some of you may or may not know that when making short crust pastry, the water that is being used should be icy cold, as well as the margarine and shortening. You should also chill the flour too as well as the instruments that you are using to make the pastry crust (that is, the mixing bowl, rolling pin, pastry blender or metal knives). This will ensure that the pastry crust is flaky and crispy. I got this tip when Martha Stewart was a guest on the NBC Today Show.

Now here's the recipe:

These are the ingredients for making the crust:

2 cups all purpose flour
1 ½ tsp. curry powder
1 dash salt
¼ cup margarine
¼ cup shortening
1/3 cup water
These are the ingredients for the beef filling:
2 tbs. butter
1 pound minced beef
1 small onion (finely diced)
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
½ scotch bonnet pepper (or cayenne pepper), diced
2 stalks of scallion, chopped
2 tbs. soy sauce
2 tbs. fish and meat sauce
¼ tsp. sugar
½ tsp. ground all spice
½ cup beef broth
½ cup dry bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten

Here's how you make it:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine flour, curry, and dash of salt.
  2. Cut in margarine and shortening with metal spatula, two knives, or pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water until mixture forms a ball.
  3. Shape dough into a log, cut into 10 equal sections. Roll each section into a six inch circle with rolling pin (approximately 1/8 inch thick). Set aside.
  4. Melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat.
  5. Sauté onion until soft and translucent. Stir in ground beef.
  6. Season with salt, black pepper, thyme, sugar, all spice, fish and meat sauce, and soy sauce. Cook until beef is fully cooked through and evenly browned while stirring constantly. Stir in beef broth and bread crumbs. Simmer until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat.
  7. Spoon equal amounts of filling into each pastry circle before folding over, and pressing edges together to make a half circle. Use a fork to press edges. Brush the top of each patty with a beaten egg.
  8. Bake in preheated oven until golden brown or for 30 minutes. Enjoy!

Reaction score
Ooh they look and sound delicious! I've not had them before, but this is something I'm going to have to try :D

Reaction score
I love Jamaican beef patties so much that i even have them at times for my dinner...this is a meal that i can never get tried of especially when they are cheese patties...yum yum...it's just a great delight.

Reaction score
Jamaican patties are so popular here in Miami that they even sell them frozen and have food trucks and fast food stands for them. I'm not sure if I'll make them because the ingredient list looks kind of long. Maybe someday. I do like them and sometimes get a craving for them.

Reaction score
I've had them before but I've never made them- those look and sound absolutely fantastic though! Thanks for posting the recipe, I think that I will try them at some point :)

Reaction score
Jamaican patties are a hit here in Barbados. A big hit. I have a friend who once I saw him in the mall back in the day, he was going to get his patty. The Jamaican restaurant eventually moved and he doesn't want any unless it's from a Jamaican restaurant. I have not had any recently but they are quite tasty.

I got excited when I saw the recipe posted. It does look a little long but the up side for me is that I probably have most or all the ingredients on hand. It's not going to happen tomorrow, but at some point I am going to try this.

Reaction score
Never tried them but they look and sound delicious! Reminds me a little bit of the ingredients that go in an Australian meat pie, although they look very different from one another. I'll have to give the recipe a try at some point since everyone is saying they're fabulous!

Ask a Question