Huckleberry pie anyone?

Reaction score
I saw some nice huckleberries the other day, but have never actually made anything with them before. Has anyone ever tried making a pie, or any dessert for that matter with them? I usually just eat them raw off the bush like I did as a kid.

Reaction score
When I would go visit my grandmother in Michigan, she always had huckleberries in her freezer. We kids always had them on our cereal, but she also made huckleberry pies for us and they were delicious with some whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream on top.

Reaction score
This deprived California girl has never had a huckleberry.:( Hmm...apparently they grow here. Why have I never had a huckleberry???
They look like blueberries...do they taste like blueberries or are they more tart?

Reaction score
I think they are a little more tart than blueberries. If you find a really ripe blueberry, they are typically sweet and I don't think I have actually had a really sweet huckleberry. They grow well in the mountains and so that is probably the location you will find them if they do infact grow in California. Maybe northern California? I thought they prefer cooler temperatures.

Reaction score
Thinking about it I don't think I have ever ate huckleberry before as I can't remember ever seeing this fruit in Jamaica; i must do an extensive search and see if it's available here.

Reaction score
What is a huckle berry I have never seen one in person. I have heard of this fruit but never even sen it in a jar of jam . I am begining to think it is very rare and only grows in select places. Can you buy thme in the store or are they something you must pick youreslf?

Ask a Question