I love sweet breads!

Reaction score
I really love sweet breads, and often favor them over cakes or cookies. Recently, I've also been on a chai journey where cookies, and even a chai spiced banana cake have been made and enjoyed by my household. So, when I came across this recipe for a chai cinnamon swirl, I thought I'd share it with you all and see what you think. I'm thinking it might even be nice toasted.

The recipe is by the young lady who won the Great British Bake Off last year - she was really good, and very imaginative.

Enjoy!

http://blog.bakerybits.co.uk/francis-quinns-chai-cinnamon-swirl/

Reaction score
Raisin bread has being my favorite sweet bread forever...i enjoy having it on its own or with a thick slice of cheese alongside a tall glass of milk...this is a bread i could have everyday and it's also my family's favorite. Below is a recipe i found online:

Ingredients
  • 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
  • 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
  • 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
  • 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 5-3/4 to 6-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups raisins
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • GLAZE:
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1 tablespoon milk

Directions
  1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, 1/3 cup sugar, oil, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add raisins and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
  2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
  3. Punch dough down. On a lightly floured surface, divide in half. Roll each into a 15x7-in. rectangle. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over dough. Sprinkle with water. Starting with a short side, roll up tightly, jelly-roll style. Pinch seams and ends to seal. Place, seam side down, in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
  4. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm loaves. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).

Read more: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/raisin-cinnamon-bread#ixzz3Btak4u8D

Reaction score
I love chai flavored things, too. The swirled bread looks delicious.
I've been wanting to make both of these rolls for almost a year, but I am a bit intimidated.
http://www.grandbaby-cakes.com/2013/10/maple-chai-spiced-pumpkin-cinnamon-rolls/
http://indiaphile.info/chai-spiced-sticky-buns-for-bake-sale/
Just some more inspiration for you!

Both of these recipes look amazing, monkeyboots!! I particularly like the maple-chai-spiced rolls - I'm definitely going to try those.

Raisin bread has being my favorite sweet bread forever...i enjoy having it on its own or with a thick slice of cheese alongside a tall glass of milk...this is a bread i could have everyday and it's also my family's favorite. Below is a recipe i found online:

Ingredients
  • 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
  • 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
  • 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
  • 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 5-3/4 to 6-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups raisins
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • GLAZE:
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1 tablespoon milk

Directions
  1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, 1/3 cup sugar, oil, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add raisins and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
  2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
  3. Punch dough down. On a lightly floured surface, divide in half. Roll each into a 15x7-in. rectangle. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over dough. Sprinkle with water. Starting with a short side, roll up tightly, jelly-roll style. Pinch seams and ends to seal. Place, seam side down, in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
  4. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm loaves. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).

Read more: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/raisin-cinnamon-bread#ixzz3Btak4u8D

This recipes sounds delicious, kammy - I love raisin breads, especially for breakfast. Could I use some other oil instead of canola oil, do you think? Canola oil is not something I've ever seen here in the UK, so I'm wondering what I could substitute it with?

This recipe for cream cheese filled sweet bread looks delicious and easy. I love things like cheese danishes, so this is probably good.

http://www.positivelysplendid.com/2012/12/cream-cheese-filled-sweet-bread.html

I love cheese danish too, ACSAPA, and I think this would be a scrumptious addition to the sweet breads category.

Thanks everyone! :)

Reaction score
These breads are making me hungry. The cream cheese one wins my vote because I love anything with cream cheese in it. My favorite is pecan rolls with lots of cream cheese icing on top!

Reaction score
Both of these recipes look amazing, monkeyboots!! I particularly like the maple-chai-spiced rolls - I'm definitely going to try those.

This recipes sounds delicious, kammy - I love raisin breads, especially for breakfast. Could I use some other oil instead of canola oil, do you think? Canola oil is not something I've ever seen here in the UK, so I'm wondering what I could substitute it with?

I love cheese danish too, ACSAPA, and I think this would be a scrumptious addition to the sweet breads category.

Thanks everyone! :)

Pattycakes as a matter of fact i have never used canola oil, canola is a canadian oil...i did some research on it but it wasn't to my liking as i son't like the ways in which it is manufactured.

What i have used though is olive oil or vegetable oil in my baked products and the result is just always amazing.

Reaction score
Thank you for that, kammy. I sometimes pass by otherwise good recipes that aren't from the UK, because there's either trouble finding a particular ingredient, or I don't know enough about it to make a substitution. It's reassuring to hear that you've used olive or vegetable oil with good results - that makes it much easier for me to try. :)

Reaction score
Thank you for that, kammy. I sometimes pass by otherwise good recipes that aren't from the UK, because there's either trouble finding a particular ingredient, or I don't know enough about it to make a substitution. It's reassuring to hear that you've used olive or vegetable oil with good results - that makes it much easier for me to try. :)

Pattycakes i always tell myself that baking is an art; overtime you just perfect your skills and use your available resources to make some amazing products...i think i just get better at it as times goes by.

Ask a Question