Ice Cream Makers

Reaction score
I'm thinking of investing in an ice cream maker this year. I'm wondering if homemade ice cream is better and less expensive to make than shop bought ice cream? Do you make your own ice cream or do you tend to buy it?

Reaction score
I used to make my own ice cream many years back, but without the aid of an ice cream making machine, what made necessary the addition of a stabilizer product available where food additives are sold. However I mostly stop doing ice cream because of the hassle.

Some months ago I saw in Walmart a non-expensive ice cream maker that sounds like a good option to start trying again, but I'm waiting for Christmas time to get someone giving it to me as a gift ;)

Reaction score
we have an ice cream maker that is about 20 yrs old. Uses rock salt around the outside. We made ice cream in it about 4 times in the last 20 yrs. It is more expensive to make than to buy, because of the ingredients and quantity however, it tasts soooo much better.... worth the money if you want to make it once in a while for a get together or special occasion. It seriously tasts so good home made. No preservatives, nothing artificial.

Reaction score
Oh homemade is so much better! Have you ever looked into what's in icecream? Not to mention, what's in everything in small enough amounts that they don't even have to list it in the ingredients? Scary stuff. make your own... so worth it. If you go on Pinterest (of course haha) you'll even find ways to make ice cream without a machine :)

These days i do the banana trick too.. frozen banana and whatever goodies I choose, has the same consistency as ice cream.

Reaction score
Personally I don't eat ice cream nearly enough to justify investing in the equipment or ingredients to do this. Plus I've noticed that even stuff labeled as "cream" in the grocery stores still tends to have extra added ingredients in it, just like the store bought ice cream. I don't know anywhere near me to get actual fresh, and perhaps unpasteurized, milk or cream.

Reaction score
If you don't want to invest in an ice cream maker you can get two coffee cans one large on and one small one. Put your ingredients in the small can and place in the freezer for 15-20 minutes. Take the smal can and place it inside the large can make sure the top is tighly sealed. layer ice and salt in the large can around the small an over the lid. Now shake or roll the can fo 30 minutes.

Reaction score
My ice cream maker is currently collecting dust in a cupboard. I found it to me more of a pain in the butt, than anything.

The best frozen item I ever made was mango sorbet. I didn't use anything but a blender. All I needed to do was freeze it some, blend it, freeze it some more, and so on. It was delicious and healthier than ice cream.

Reaction score
I've been looking to get an ice cream maker, for me, I think it would be worth the investment because ice cream is actually my favorite dessert ever, and you could do so much with it! For example, for some reason nobody sells cake batter ice cream around here, even though I know there are several brands who have it. With this I could make my own!

Reaction score
I like ice cream and also frozen yogurt, and i think homemade ice cream would be much healthier than the processed product that we all buy at the store. I guess it has beaver anal glands in it, which is enough to really make you wonder if you really want to buy ice cream or not ??
However, fresh made ice cream would be all natural. Years ago, i had a little Salton ice cream maker, and you put everything in it, plugged it in, and stuck in the freezer for an hour or so. It had a special cord that the freezer door could shut over, so it was safe to plug it in and freeze it.
It worked really good, and was simple to do, didn't need ice or salt or anything besides the cream and flavorings.

Reaction score
I have a cheap ice cream maker that got good reviews on Amazon. I'm waiting until my daughter's summer vacation to start using it. Does anyone have some good ice cream recipes?

Reaction score
I have always thought about buying one but haven't yet. I wonder if I would actually use it much. I'm interested in hearing some good recipes from you guys, though.

Reaction score
Making ice-creams yourself is a much better alternative than shelling out huge sum of money. I prefer making ice-cream for my family myself.

Reaction score
Wow, I forgot that they make those. At the rate at which ice-cream is consumed by my family, it might be a good idea to invest in one, going to check that out. Should be able to get some good recipes, here or off other sites. Maybe I'll even find a book at amazon.

Reaction score
If you're a heath buff, albeit one who consumes a large amount of ice cream, then making your own ice cream is a must. There are cheap ice cream makers out there so you don't have to spend a lot to be on the healthier side of things.On the other hand, if you have a good blender or food processor, you can make a faux ice cream with over-ripe frozen bananas (the more black spots the better). You can flavor it any way you choose and it tastes great.

Reaction score
I love making my own ice cream, I think investing in a quality ice cream maker is a good idea. You will be in control of the contents, you can store it in serving sizes that are convenient for you and your family, the kids can help make batches of ice cream and it is less expensive than buying ice cream. I just can't see anything negative about buying an ice cream maker, except maybe eating too much. :)

Reaction score
I make my own fruit ice creams by chopping and freezing pieces of fruit and then chucking them into a food processor with a cup of whole cream. The texture and taste is comparable to store-bought ice cream and it's all natural! (Well at least it doesn't strange chemicals with E numbers in it).

hhh

Reaction score
I've invested in an ice cream maker, best choice I've ever made. First of all, it's really easy to use and clean! And you don't need to keep checking on it like you would when you don't use an ice cream maker. Before when I didn't have this equipment I used to just stuff it into the freezer, but often it would come out grainy which sucked but that's pretty much the reason I bought an ice cream maker I grew tired of grainy ice cream.

Reaction score
G
I've invested in an ice cream maker, best choice I've ever made. First of all, it's really easy to use and clean! And you don't need to keep checking on it like you would when you don't use an ice cream maker. Before when I didn't have this equipment I used to just stuff it into the freezer, but often it would come out grainy which sucked but that's pretty much the reason I bought an ice cream maker I grew tired of grainy ice cream.

Yes, the ease and convenience of having your own ice cream machine is pretty cool! I've been thinking of getting one, who's the manufacturer of your ice cream machine?

Reaction score
Making ice-creams yourself is a much better alternative than shelling out huge sum of money. I prefer making ice-cream for my family myself.

But you still shell out the money and time because you spend as much on cream ,rock salt and ice cream ingredients as you would on a gallon of ice cream. In fact you actually spend more. It's more of a labor of love than a cost cutting measure.

Reaction score
You really do not even need an ice cream maker to make fresh ice cream at home. There are several freezer ice cream recipes online. The latest one I found was that youmix condensed milk with whipping cream and flavoring and place it in the freezer for a couple hours until it is stiff. It tastes like the kind you buy in the store... abd without weird ingredients.

Ask a Question