Know you baking pans/ware

Reaction score
Do you? Do you know your baking pans or baking ware? I can't say I do as I am still a relatively new baker. I decided to start this thread when @Diane Lane asked if I baked my last cake in a Bundt pan. It turns out it wasn't and in my eyes the pan I used is just a pan with a pattern. I think it's time for me to get searching and learning some more about baking pans measurements and all. What about you? Do you know your pans well? Do you have lots of pans etc? Let's talk pans @ChesterV, @Trellum, @Zyni, @justme4910, @Becky and all of us.:) It's time I learned my pans so help me out.

Reaction score
This is your standard Bundt pan and cake.....they come in thousands of designs and shapes
iu
iu

Here's my favorite Bundt pan....
iu

This is an Angel Food/Devils Food pan and cake....
iu

iu

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is a Springform pan, which is usually used for making Cheesecakes....
they also come in different shapes and sizes...
iu
iu

This is an Airbake pan.....which I use. This is two pans made together so there is an air pocket between the outside and the inside of the pan. This keeps the cake from bulging up in the middle and bakes evenly.
They too, come in different sizes and shapes.
iu

Reaction score
Molded baking pans come in hundreds of thousands of different styles and shapes.
These types of pans go by many different names:
Molded pans
Art pans
Deco pans
Character pans
Sculpted pans
Jello pans (people used them for making Jello molds back in the 70's)
etc....

iu
iu

iu

iu

Reaction score
Sheet pan....for anything flat you don't want rolling off the edges of the pan, or for thin layer flat cakes, as used for "roll" cakes....(or cake rolls)
iu
iu

Cookie Sheet pan....for cookies, pizza, flat breads, etc...
iu

Reaction score
I do :) I actually pay more attention to the material of the pan, I never use non stick ones for baking or cooking... I am always on the look for non stick pans, specially now I am moving :) I'll be getting a lot new pans.

Reaction score
Wow! I knew @ChesterV would turn it up and I knew there are countless pans I don't have. I have the sheet pan for sure and recently when I could not find the muffin pans my husband brought me some foil muffin pans:eek:. Clearly he does not realise I am turning into a serious baker. Clearly I don't have the Bundt pan so that is something I should look at getting.

I noticed @chester has no glass ware there and a pan I use often for my banana bread is glass. Do any of you use glass in your cake making? @Trellum, I know you are quite big on material and not a big fan of all the Chinese products.

Reaction score
I love my non stick pans. Although, to tell the truth, if you don't use some nonstick spray in them, they will stick.

Of course you have to know what type of non stick is the best or doesn't work at all.

For you guys who don't know the difference, there is sprayed on non stick surfaces, and there is bonded non stick surfaces.

NEVER get the sprayed on stuff, it is meant for VERY low temp cooking. High temperature cooking will make the sprayed on coating separate from the metal (which it will do anyway), and you will get chips and nicks and even spots of coating coming off the inside of the pan.

ALWAYS get bonded non stick coating. This means the non stick coating has been forced into being part of the metal of the pan. It won't come off, chip, or come loose.

Always use high temperature plastic, rubber, or wooden utensils when dealing with any non stick surface.

Of course......the bonded non stick coating pans will be more expensive, but they will last YEARS longer than that cheap sprayed on stuff. And besides, you take a huge risk of that sprayed on stuff flaking off into the food you are making in it. ICK

Some of the best bonded non stick pans......
Calphalon
Analon
Circulon

There are other brands, but these I have used myself. I still have some non stick pans from Calphalon that are over 20 years old now, and have worn down a bit but still work perfectly!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow! I knew @ChesterV would turn it up and I knew there are countless pans I don't have. I have the sheet pan for sure and recently when I could not find the muffin pans my husband brought me some foil muffin pans:eek:. Clearly he does not realise I am turning into a serious baker. Clearly I don't have the Bundt pan so that is something I should look at getting.

I noticed @chester has no glass ware there and a pan I use often for my banana bread is glass. Do any of you use glass in your cake making? @Trellum, I know you are quite big on material and not a big fan of all the Chinese products.

Just for you.....

Pyrex baking pans/dishes

9 x 13 Casserole
(excellent for "leave in the pan" cheesecake!
new-pyrex-bakeware-4-8-quart-oblong-baking-dish-clear-6001040-free-shipping-61a5f1f75c7bfc5453d6d589a48c5c9d.jpg

Bread/Casserole
$_35.JPG

Pudding or Mini Casserole
31MK62CNE8L._SY355_.jpg

Bread/Meat Loaf Dish
319St-uCNkL._SX300_.jpg

Custard Cups
pyr_originals_10oz_rnd_cust_cup_4pk_6001143__81114__48006.jpg

Souffle dish
187830388_pyrex-glass-ramekin---pyrex-glass-souffle-dish.jpg

Pie Dish
P0000379087S0022T2.jpg

And my favorite Pyrex baking dish.....
8 x 8 square (in brown)
This pan makes killer brownies and awesome tuna pot pie!!!
Vintage-Collectible-Pyrex-Cranberry-Loaf-PanDishBaking15-Qt213R.jpg

Reaction score
I do :) I actually pay more attention to the material of the pan, I never use non stick ones for baking or cooking... I am always on the look for non stick pans, specially now I am moving :) I'll be getting a lot new pans.

Good pans are an investment. Cheap pans are a waste of money, as they don't last long.

I have found that spending a little extra money on some very good, well made pans will last you a long time.

As far as my bakeware is concerned, I like NordicWare. They make all of those super fancy, molded cake and Bundt cake pans. Most of them are bonded non stick now too. Although their non stick does tend to stick sometimes....I've found that a nice thick coating of non stick baking spray with flour usually does the trick.
4cf6cb203cae5_131020b.jpg

As previously stated, I am partial to Analon, Calphalon, or Circulon cookware.

All of these things are heavy duty, long lasting.....and in some cases, if you get them when they are running a special on them, the company will give you a lifetime warranty on what you buy! How awesome is that!!!!

Properly taken care of, these non stick brands can be handed down for generations.

If you want some good baking glass, then only get Pyrex. I've had my Pyrex pan since the 1980's, and there is nothing wrong with it at all! And I am clumbsy too! I've dropped it on the floor, hit it with a hard object (accident), burned food in it, and even accidentally left it on top of the stove on a live burner!!!! And it NEVER cracked, chipped, broke, or turned color!!! I'm not saying these things won't happen, but so far, this piece of Pyrex has had more hardships than all the metal pans I have combined, and it still looks new!!!!! Of course my metal pans look like hell. LOL

You don't have to go broke buying the best.........there are always deals out there. And a lot of companies do put out coupons on their company sites now! And there's Ebay, Amazon, and clearance centers!

Reaction score
@ChesterV Have you tried the petit four pan by Nordic?
I have tried and tried but can never get the definitions to come out.
Have gone as far as to use my homemade baker's grease and a paintbrush to make sure every nook and cranny is coated.
Nothing stuck but only a couple turned out.
Called their customer service and they suggested a pound cake batter but nope that didn't work either....
I have dropped the pan on a solid surface so many times that the pan is now dented so can't be that the batter isn't getting down there.
I do a lot of teas and really want this to work ....

Reaction score
@ChesterV Have you tried the petit four pan by Nordic?
I have tried and tried but can never get the definitions to come out.
Have gone as far as to use my homemade baker's grease and a paintbrush to make sure every nook and cranny is coated.
Nothing stuck but only a couple turned out.
Called their customer service and they suggested a pound cake batter but nope that didn't work either....
I have dropped the pan on a solid surface so many times that the pan is now dented so can't be that the batter isn't getting down there.
I do a lot of teas and really want this to work ....

You mean this?
58548_White.jpg

No, I have not used this.

I do have the mini bundt pan mentioned earlier, and I have had issues with the cake sticking in that as well. I really, REALLY have to bang the pan on the table to get the cakes to come out!!!

I have found though, using that spray with the flour in it, does actually help a lot.

The problem with really small molded shapes like this, is that the smaller you get, the worse the cake sticks. I've even heard that people who used silicone mold pans like this have a heck of a hard time getting the cake out.

I wish I could show you what I am about to explain to you, as it would be better visually, but I am unable to, so I hope this makes sense.....

First off, you want to use a thick, viscous batter, like an old fashioned wedding cake batter. It is thick, but bakes pretty solid, and comes out of molded pans the best. Which is why the guy told you to use a pound cake batter. The problem with pound cake though, is it is not viscous enough, as it will crack up a lot when trying to get it out of a pan.

Bake the cake to the point it just starts turning brown on top....maybe "dark beige". What this does is allows the cake to cook as solid as possible without burning or drying out. The more solid the cake, the better it will come out of a molded pan. Tiny molded pans like this are still a hazard though.

Once you get the cake pan out of the oven, tap the hell out of it! Tap it to the side, tap it this way, tap it that way, tap, tap, tap. This will loosen the hot cake from the sides of the mold. You should be able to see the cakes in the pan come loose from the sides.

Let the pan cool, with the cakes in it after tapping. Once cool enough to touch without burning yourself (you still want them warm), tap, tap, tap, tap, tap again.

Place a flat cookie sheet or baking pan over the cake pan, flip it over and "drop" it onto the counter or the table. Not enough to damage anything, but enough to jolt the pan.

Slowly lift one edge of the pan to see if the cakes come out of the molded pan. If some of them stick, dont force them out. Do the tapping thing all over again. Usually, the ones in the middle of the pan don't get jolted or tapped enough, as the ones on the edge do. So just take your time and tap the heck out of it until it comes loose. If it still looks like it wants to stay stuck in there, turn it upside down over the flat pan or cookie sheet and tap it upsidedown, against the table while holding it on one end at an angle, so you can see if the cake falls out or not.

If it still stays stuck, you can try and use a soft plastic knife or plastic flat toothpick to coax it out.
You might have to give up and just rip the little sucker out if it wants to be obstinate.

Well, thats the best way I can explain how to handle that situation. I hope it makes sense.

Another trick (this does not work for me) some people use, is to do the tap, tap, tap method to loosen the cakes in the pan, then stick the pan in the freezer for about 30 minutes. Supposedly the loosened cakes will shrink away from the pan and you can turn it over onto a cookie sheet or flat pan and tap it upside down to get them to fall out.

Let me know if any of that helps.

Reaction score
I have two more suggestions on this.....

Instead of cake, you might try a shortbread cookie dough, and press it into the molded pan.
You might also try a sweet bread dough. Both of those should be viscous enough to work in a small shaped pan like that and keep the shape.

I will see if I can find that old fashioned wedding cake recipe....

Ask a Question