Leek and Mushroom Quiche or Tart

Reaction score
The recipe calls it a tart, but to me it could also be considered a quiche (I tend to think of most "egg pie" type things as quiche, so don't necessarily listen to me... I don't know the strict definition, I just go with what sticks).

Anyway, it sounds good to me,, and I can think of lots of yummy additions and variations as well.

Does this sound good to you?

http://www.frugalfoodiefamily.com/2011/12/23/leek-and-mushroom-tart/

Reaction score
Dang it, it sounds yummy to me, but I usually have a reaction to both mushrooms and any type of onions. I think maybe they're calling this a tart because it's made in a tart pan, although of course it's very similar to a quiche. I have both, and mainly use the quiche pan for everything. I'm not an expert on pans, but speaking from the ones I have, the quiche pan is a little deeper and the edges are more scalloped than closely folded like a fan, the way the pan shown in the recipe's picture is. My quiche pan is easier to clean, which is probably why I default to it.

Reaction score
I'm all for whatever is easier to clean, ha ha. I hear ya on that. I just use a glass pie plate for quiche, but it tends to be my "go to" because it's a little deeper. My tart pan feels too small (though I realize it's the size it's supposed to be). When I make quiche, I consider it more of an entree, so I want the bigger pan.

Reaction score
It's quite a common vegetarian combination. Another idea is to use spinach in addition to leeks, or asparagus instead of leeks. I always find caramelized onions do well on the top of quiches, as it adds flavor and also looks good.

Reaction score
This one is definitely outside of my usual dishes in the routine, but I have to say that it is intriguing to me, but I am not sure why. I am still fifty fifty on my love for mushrooms, and it really depends on the texture, so if I can get that right here I can see a nice little dish to work in.

Reaction score
I'm actually weird in that I don't like quiche - because I don't like eggs, all that much (unless they're baked into a dessert and you can't tell there is egg in there, though!)

I do sometimes wish I liked it more - I hear of loads of yummy combinations for quiches, like sundried tomato and olive...that sounds yum!

Reaction score
That's the problem with a vegetarian recipe, they either have onions or leeks which I don't like. Pardon me for this comment. But with mushroom, it's okay with me. In fact, I love the mushroom burger in one restaurant in the province, that's the only mushroom burger store that I know. It may be a tart or a quiche or a pie but we call it empanada especially when the crust is brown and somewhat crunchy.

Reaction score
That's the problem with a vegetarian recipe, they either have onions or leeks which I don't like. Pardon me for this comment. But with mushroom, it's okay with me. In fact, I love the mushroom burger in one restaurant in the province, that's the only mushroom burger store that I know. It may be a tart or a quiche or a pie but we call it empanada especially when the crust is brown and somewhat crunchy.

No problem. You like what you like. :) I'm sure you could make this using just the mushroom or adding other things that you enjoy. You could probably even add some meat, if desired. I don't see why not.

Mushroom empanada? Sounds good to me.

Ask a Question