Looking for "breakfast bread" suggestions for sunday brunch

Reaction score
HI everyone! I'm in desperate need of inspiration. I'm having some friends over on Sunday for brunch and I'm looking for some new "breakfast breads" to add to the menu. I usually make banana nut bread, muffins (blueberry or apple-cinnamon), or cinnamon rolls. (Just reading that list makes me yawn...) I'd really like to step up my brunch game and add something new and exciting to my repertoire. Any recipe suggestions?

Reaction score
You can try raisin bread mix with cinnamon. Or if you like cranberries you can try that bread it is quite tasty.

Reaction score
I think pumpkin and flaxseed works great for brown bread in the morning. I have made this twice before for breakfast and it made great toast.

Reaction score
How about getting creative with spreads and toppings? You could have a nice buffet-style layout of all sorts of homemade spreads and toppings.

Reaction score
Why don't you toast pieces of bread in different shapes and colors for a fresh look? I remember my mom used to do that in rainbow colors and in shapes like stars, hearts, and flowers. Have different choices of dips and spreads to match your toasted bread. I once was able to taste a spread that is made out of an eggplant and peanut and it was one of the best homemade spreads I have ever tasted! Be creative and wow your guests!

Reaction score
Whenever I have friends over for brunch, I make Madeleines for them. We usually have a variety of dishes and usually start off with milk tea and madeleines. They are really delicious too. I think I have perfected my madeleines after countless tries.

Reaction score
Scones are a personal favorite. You will need 5 tablespoons of very cold butter, cut in small chunks. Mix 2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1 tablespoon of baking powder, and whisk together. Add the cold butter and work with your fingertips until it resembles coarse cornmeal. Make a well in the middle and add 1 cup of heavy cream. Fold everything to incorporate and make sure you don't overwork the dough. Roll out in 3/4 inch thick and brush the top with more heavy cream. Bake in a 400°F preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until the scones are golden brown.

This is the base that I use. Sometimes I add some vanilla beans and the zest of 1-2 oranges. I have used chocolate chips; lemon zest; chopped walnuts: mixed berries; (if you will be using berries, make sure you add it with the flour mixture BEFORE you put in the heavy cream.) black currants; pistachios; macadamias; etc etc.

Reaction score
These all sound like great ideas! Makes me want to go out a make some bread...that first list you mentioned you said makes you want to yawn, but that sounds pretty good, but I guess if you've made it alot it can get boring.

Reaction score
I've tried an apricot, almond coconut bread. My first try didn't go so well but I'm determined to get it right. With a cream cheese glaze, I think it will be perfect for brunch during the summer months. My other go to summer bread is an orange, walnut prune bread. It gets positive comments but I'm like you, I'd rather branch out and try new things.

Reaction score
How about some simple cornbread muffins with a whipped honey butter. They are a bit substantial but with the whipped butter I think they would be great any time of day.

Reaction score
I love bread in general so I have an obscenely large folder of bread recipes, however for breakfast may I suggest blueberry cream cheese muffins, you could substitute any berry for the blue berries. I really like muffins with fruit in them for breakfast they just feel complete somehow, however I am also a fan of banana nut bread with honey butter sweet and simple but sense you're tired of it, how about the more complex flavor combination of orange glaze cranberry bread. Breakfast and bread were made for each other the options are endless so I will leave you with just one more, apple fritter pull part bread. ;)

Reaction score
Lemon bread is delicious! Its very moist and really very inviting. Pumpkin bread is another delicious bread. Coffee cake bread is yummy as well.

Reaction score
What about a orange cranberry bread ? It is a little different but still tasty tangy and sweet.

Reaction score
I don't have much experience in baking Zucchini bread but i have friends who have baked it and they say it's really great so you could consider giving it a try.

Reaction score
My partner's bread speciality are these little savoury bread spirals. They are divine. He makes up a basic white bread dough and turns it into lots of long worms. Each one is topped with thinly sliced cooked sausage, lots of garlic, little drops of mayonnaise, little drops of sweet chilli sauce. Then you wrap the bread around itself so it comes up into a spiral and bake them until golden.

This is not a healthy option.

Reaction score
I would go with pecan rolls or fresh made cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting. There is nothing better in this world than a fresh hot roll.

Ask a Question