Looking for variation on tacos

Reaction score
The family loves tacos, but it is always the same. It is usually soft tortillas, lettuce, tomato, sour cream, hamburger, cheese, and hot sauce/salsa. Once in awhile we will have hard shells. What variety can I introduce to make this meal more lively? We eat this at least three times a month, so I could really use some fresh ideas. Mind you, I have kids, so don't go too crazy! Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
What about using corn tortillas? :p They're easy to get in the house, you then can make potato tacos, those are delicious and easy to make. All you need to do is to simply boil some potatoes, make them puree. Then cut in thin strips some cabbage. You put the potato inside the tortilla, fry it. Then you can add the cabbage, some sour cream, ''queso fresco'', onion (if you like onions), tomato slices and some spicy sauce.

Reaction score
It is interesting you mentioned corn tortilla. My wife was given some authentic Mexican food at work the other day, and we ate some corn tortilla tacos. I liked it so much I bought a pack of my own. I fried them in a pan, and they taste like a cross between a hard shell and a flour tortilla. I used mashed garbanzos mixed with fresh cilantro, lemon, basil, oregano, garlic salt and hot sauce, and they were quite delicious.

I am not sure if I would like a potato taco. It doesn't sound like the potato "meat" is seasoned. I understand there are toppings, but the potato sounds like it would be awfully bland in combination with the tortilla. I thank you for the creative idea, nonetheless.

Reaction score
Have you tried making the tacos with shredded chicken instead of beef?
Or how about making some bean and cheese burritos?
There are a lot of different ways to make a taco. I even make them with ground pork sometimes.

Reaction score
It is interesting you mentioned corn tortilla. My wife was given some authentic Mexican food at work the other day, and we ate some corn tortilla tacos. I liked it so much I bought a pack of my own. I fried them in a pan, and they taste like a cross between a hard shell and a flour tortilla. I used mashed garbanzos mixed with fresh cilantro, lemon, basil, oregano, garlic salt and hot sauce, and they were quite delicious.

I am not sure if I would like a potato taco. It doesn't sound like the potato "meat" is seasoned. I understand there are toppings, but the potato sounds like it would be awfully bland in combination with the tortilla. I thank you for the creative idea, nonetheless.

I don't really like to season the ''potato meat'' at all, but I know some people do, I personally prefer not to, because that way you can savour the other ingredients better =D It is good believe me, but don't try it with soft tortillas! Another thing you could try for making tacos is either carnitas (very easy to make) and also fish tacos =D I personally love fish tacos, so many different versions tho, so you better pick the one you like most ;)

Reaction score
I have made fish tacos for myself, but the rest of my family doesn't like fish. I would like to try a seafood taco, completely with squid and crab (I don't like octopus). I might try a little avocado and spicy chilies to off-set the somewhat bland taste of the seafood. Again, this would be a meal for one. My family would never touch such a thing. But I like to try new things and the healthier the better for me.

Ask a Question