Healthy Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe

Reaction score
The tricky thing I find with vegan baking (as I try to stick to as much of a whole food basis as possible) is that a lot of oil is generally used to make up for the lack of eggs. This recipe which I stumbled across, while it's a bit more complicated than your average microwave cake, makes up for the extra hassle by being a lot lower in calories!

4 tbsp white whole wheat flour
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
1/4 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp nondairy milk
¼+ cup unsweetened applesauce
vanilla extract
dash cinnamon
2-3 tbsp vegan chocolate chips (optional)

The applesauce and nondairy milk (I even made one with plain water once and it was perfectly acceptable, not quite as delicious though, but it still hit the spot) add moisture without adding liquid calories from oil. You simply mix everything in a mug and microwave for 3 minutes! If you have a very powerful microwave I would think 2 and a half minutes should do the trick. Enjoy!

Reaction score
I've only tried vegan baking a couple of times and a lot of the time it calls for a flax egg or even chia egg and it seems to work well if you don't mind the seeds! :)

Reaction score
Honestly, I was actually more interested with the microwave thing. ;) The vegan part of it has even added more to my interest. I'm always looking for easy ways to bake nowadays so the fact that this cake can be baked in a microwave oven in just minutes made me so interested. Thank you so much for sharing about this recipe. :)

Reaction score
Well despite not really liking using the microwave, I kind of love using the microwave...if that makes sense. It is easy is all I am saying, and for that I say thank you because this looks like an interesting use for one. I need that, too, to add a little variety, and low fat is never a bad thing. Good stuff, and thanks for sharing.

Ask a Question