Making your own pizza dough vs. buying one

Reaction score
So, I guess we can all have a big dispute here, whether one prefers to buy pizza dough or make it himself in the house. In my situation, when I make pizza, I usually prefer to buy the pizza dough, as it would require too much of an effort and too much time from me to make it myself, even if it turns out to be a little more expensive buying one. The pluses of making it myself would be that I could things like cheese, olives and ever garlic or onion easier, but I could do that with the bought one too, with a little more effort.

Reaction score
I prefer to make my own :) I know a recipe that only calls for 2 ingredients and tastes wonderfully, it can't get easier than that! Plus you never know what's in that store dough you get from the store, because you didn't make it yourself. Plus you can make a good batch of pizza dough and just froze in individual balls, so you can defrost it when you know you are going to need it :)

Reaction score
I make my own usually if I'm making pizza from scratch - I guess I almost feel like if I'm buying a pre made pizza base then I might as well just buy an entire pre made pizza. Plus, there's something lovely about making everything from scratch! When I have the time to do it, I really enjoy it!

Reaction score
At home we always make our own pizza.
My dad used to work at a pizza place and now he's really picky with the pizzas we order for delivery, so we just make our own from scratch.
There is a difference between the two though. Most pizza places near our residence make the dough either deflated or overflated, with the former you end up with a stomachache and with the latter you need more pizza to satisfy yourself.

It's not something you can do every day though, especially if you work full time.

Reaction score
The only reason I might make my own pizza dough is if the whole family was cooking in the kitchen and it would make for a fun activity for the kids, otherwise, I'd really rather just buy the dough also and save all that time and effort.

Reaction score
Well I really wish that I had the time and the energy to make my own every time versus buying them in the store, but alas I do live a normal life and that means distractions left and right all day long, so that is not always the case. I am always shocked at how expensive the pre-made ones are too, so that certainly does not help at all. I have a recipe for it, and I have done it before, but it is something that I need to start making a concerted effort to doing from now on. Thanks for the inspiration.

Reaction score
I have to be honest that I cannot make my own dough simply because I have no experience in that. Being a newbie in baking, no matter how I wanted to learn, I still have no time for the moment. My husband who manages our kitchen also do not know any baking with the dough so what he does is to order pizza for delivery. But I would love to make my own dough because I am fond of experimenting. Maybe when I take my one week vacation from work, I could fulfill that dream of baking. We have an oven here, mind you.

PS. I know that making your own dough can save you money.

Reaction score
As a pizza lover, I have to embarrassly admit that I haven't tried making my own pizza yet. I would love to make one soon though. Just in case I would be making my own home-made pizza one day, I think I would try to learn how to make my own dough first. I just feel like making my own pizza from the dough to the toppings would make my baking experience more fulfilling. :)

Reaction score
I've already tried to make my own dough, unfortunately it didn't come out right. I'm not discouraged though, I hardly expected to get it perfect on my first try. I'll give it another go on the weekend. Wish me luck.

Reaction score
When my sister was alive many years ago, I would call her and let her take me through the stages of making my own. It's not something I did often. In more recent times I have bought the ready done one in the store or pizza from a local food chain that I find outstanding. I was thinking of trying a whole wheat dough on my own.
I've already tried to make my own dough, unfortunately it didn't come out right. I'm not discouraged though, I hardly expected to get it perfect on my first try. I'll give it another go on the weekend. Wish me luck.
I am cheering for you!!!

Reaction score
I do some of both. I don't buy those pre-made crusts, but sometimes I buy dough that is refrigerated or is made from a package mix by just adding water. Most of the time I just make it from flour, yeast, sugar, water, salt, and the usual cast of ingredients. I think it largely depends upon the time I have to invest in a particular pizza making adventure. I make pizza quite often around here, so from scratch a few times a week is often impractical.

Reaction score
Well, pizza is something that I've given up on making at home (when I did make it, I always made the dough at home). With good reason though - pizza around where I live is always baked in a wood fired oven. You can't really compete with that taste. At all.

And I made once an estimation that I win very little by baking it at home - pizzas here are also quite cheap. (I think between ingredient and electricity costs I don't really save much.....)

But I presume that this is one of the benefits of living in Italy :)

Reaction score
I make my own. Way cheaper. Way better. And it only takes 15 minutes to mix the dough. There's very little work

Ask a Question