Melting white chocolate

Reaction score
I know this might sound silly, but, i have the hardest time melting white chocolate. It never comes out smooth, always chunky like it was overheated. I try to make cake pops covered in chocolate and its never smooth enough to get a even coating. It always seems like the consistency of frosting. Is melting white chocolate different from milk chocolate. If so what is the correct way.

Reaction score
White chocolate needs to be melted low and slow over a double. Whatever you do don't any water in your chocolate it will seize up. Avoid putting white chocolate in the microwave it can over heat it and make it difficult to work. Sometimes adding a tea spoon light oil not butter oil will help make your with chocolate melt smoother.

Reaction score
Argh...white chocolate is my nemesis! I love eating it,but cannot melt it to save my life! I've tried all the tips.

Reaction score
I'm glad you posted this. It didn't occur to me that it was going to be more difficult than milk chocolate. I melt this one time to cover some cookies and I figured the white chocolate will be the same. Now that I know, I will make a special note of it in my recipe.

Reaction score
Argh...white chocolate is my nemesis! I love eating it,but cannot melt it to save my life! I've tried all the tips.

Don't give up like anything else it takes pratice. Make sure you are buying good quality white chocolate, look for chocolate that is made for melting and bakeing. Somtimes the regular white chocolate chips that are ment for bakng cookies are a bit more difficult to work with becasue they are degined to stay whole when bake in to cookies. Try the baking blocke or waffes.

Reaction score
Don't give up like anything else it takes pratice. Make sure you are buying good quality white chocolate, look for chocolate that is made for melting and bakeing. Somtimes the regular white chocolate chips that are ment for bakng cookies are a bit more difficult to work with becasue they are degined to stay whole when bake in to cookies. Try the baking blocke or waffes.
I bought the regular white chocolate chips for baking and they did melt smoothly in my Mini Dipper crock pot. Low, indirect heat does the trick.

Reaction score
I bought the regular white chocolate chips for baking and they did melt smoothly in my Mini Dipper crock pot. Low, indirect heat does the trick.
Yes there are some regular chips that work well it depends on the brand. I have had some brand that never completely melted or became very oily when I melted them no matter how muchcare I put in to the process. To avoid the frustration , I stick to white chocolate that is made to be melted . I also have a melter and poor quality chocolate does not melt any better when I use it.

Reaction score
I need to invest in a little dipper, that is such a great idea. I tried melting white chocolate recently and had horrible results, but I thought it was because I was using cheap chocolate. I am going to buy a little dipper.

Reaction score
You need to use a double boiler for it. If it's too thick add milk. White chocolate is indeed different from real chocolate. For dark chocolates you would want to use oil to thin it out, but for white you use milk. I think that would help make it a bit smoother for you. It is indeed a difficult texture to work with.

Reaction score
Hmmm... I did white chocolate covered pretzels for Christmas one year (love those things), and I don't remember having issues. I did like Dancinglady said. Maybe it was the type of white chocolate I bought as suggested above.

The little dipper thing sounds like a good idea too.

Reaction score
This is also my problem when it comes to melting chocolate whether it is chocolate or white like what I asked in my previous thread. I am still working out to have a double boiler already so that I will come up with the right consistency that I want when it comes to melting chocolates. Thanks again guys for some of your tips and ideas :)

Reaction score
A double boiler is an expensive solution to a homemade bain marie.

Just get a saucepan and a bowl that is slightly larger than the saucepan in diameter. You don't want it to be able to touch the bottom of the pan.
Next half fill the saucepan with boiling water and put the bowl into the saucepan. Experience and knowledge of what works with what will come into play here, but basically the bowl needs to be in the water for a couple of inches, but not touching the base of the saucepan. Now lift the bowl up slightly and wedge something like a spare wooden spoon into the gap between the side of the bowl and the saucepan - to let hot air escape and stop the bowl from jumping around. Do this on the side away from you.

You are now ready to melt your chocolate. You control the heat of the chocolate by the heat of the surrounding water, so a slow simmer is usually all you need.
If the chocolate is melting too fast, lift the pan off the stove or add cold water to the saucepan making sure not to get any in the chocolate (last thing you want). Melt chocolate (any type) slowly and you can't go wrong.

One cheap solution with equipment you will have to hand and no money spent.

Ask a Question