Meringue Problems...

Reaction score
Yesterday I tried to make a lemon meringue pie but my first round of meringue didn't fluff at all and stayed very watery. what could have been the problem. I followed the recipe perfectly so I'm not sure what I could have done wrong.

Reaction score
Hi Pretty,
Do you think there was some residual fat of any kind in the bowl? Or did a bit of yolk sneak into the mix?
Meringue is a complicated beast.

Reaction score
My first thought is did you beat it enough? If it's watery it sounds like it hasn't fully reached the stiff peak stage. You need to check this by pulling up on the meringue when you switch off your whisk, and double checking that the peaks stand straight without flopping over.

Like monkeyboots has said, meringue is a difficult beast to tame, but once you get it, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about in learning it. I would firstly make sure that my bowl and beaters were absolutely clean; even if you take them out of your cupboard clean, wash them again in very hot soapy water, and rinse well before drying. Even the tiniest residue can interfere with the outcome of your meringue.

Try it again, and let us know how you get on.

Reaction score
Hi Pretty,
Do you think there was some residual fat of any kind in the bowl? Or did a bit of yolk sneak into the mix?
Meringue is a complicated beast.
Oh my gosh! I think you figured it out! There was just the littlest bit of yolk that got into the bowl but it was a pretty little amount so I didn't think it would matter. Do you think an amount smaller than a pencil eraser would affect it?

Reaction score
My first thought is did you beat it enough? If it's watery it sounds like it hasn't fully reached the stiff peak stage. You need to check this by pulling up on the meringue when you switch off your whisk, and double checking that the peaks stand straight without flopping over.

Like monkeyboots has said, meringue is a difficult beast to tame, but once you get it, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about in learning it. I would firstly make sure that my bowl and beaters were absolutely clean; even if you take them out of your cupboard clean, wash them again in very hot soapy water, and rinse well before drying. Even the tiniest residue can interfere with the outcome of your meringue.

Try it again, and let us know how you get on.
Thank you much! I'm now seeing that meringue is so picky that it could have been many things. I did remember that the smallest bit of yolk did get into the bowl of whites but I didn't think it would really affect it. I also didn't pay attention to my bowls or the beaters. I will try that next time for sure. I will also try to beat it longer.

Reaction score
Thank you much! I'm now seeing that meringue is so picky that it could have been many things. I did remember that the smallest bit of yolk did get into the bowl of whites but I didn't think it would really affect it. I also didn't pay attention to my bowls or the beaters. I will try that next time for sure. I will also try to beat it longer.

Yes, even the tiniest bit of yolk could have done it - they're so darn difficult! ;) I made all the same mistakes as you did when I did my first meringue, but once I got it right, I rarely have a mishap now - it'll be the same for you. Good luck for next time. :)

Reaction score
Yes, even the tiniest bit of yolk could have done it - they're so darn difficult! ;) I made all the same mistakes as you did when I did my first meringue, but once I got it right, I rarely have a mishap now - it'll be the same for you. Good luck for next time. :)
Thanks! Why do all the yummy things have to be so difficult

Reaction score
If you have a copper bowl they are great for whipping egg whites. Cold egg white stand up better than warm ones. Make sure that your bowls and mixers are clean and free from any fat.

Reaction score
Thanks! Why do all the yummy things have to be so difficult

I know what you mean! I love all of the more difficult stuff too - chocolate eclairs are the thing I'm trying to master these days. Cannot get choux pastry to work well for me, and always seems to be a little stodgy inside. But I'm going to continue practicing until I get it right. ;) In fact, pastry in general is my enemy, and never wants to co-operate! :rolleyes::mad:

If you have a copper bowl they are great for whipping egg whites. Cold egg white stand up better than warm ones. Make sure that your bowls and mixers are clean and free from any fat.

I didn't know that about copper bowls, and having the egg whites cold is also a good tip that I didn't know. Thank you NThomas! :)

Reaction score
The very tiniest bit of yolk in your egg whites will spell disaster. And definitly beat them to the stiff peak stage,, where the merague stands up when you remove the mixer blades. And a bit of cream of tartar in the egg whites help them to beat up properly and hold their stiff peak.

Reaction score
Here is a simple recipe for Lemon Pie in Merangue Crust. It makes a lovely pie.

Lemon Pie in Merangue Crust

Ingredients

3 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
4 egg yolks
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
Directions
1.Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form.
Gradually add 1 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
Spread onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate.
Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
2. In a large saucepan, combine the egg yolks, lemon juice and peel, salt and remaining sugar.
Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches 160° or is thick enough to coat the back
of a metal spoon. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
Cool to room temperature without stirring.
3. Fold half of the whipped cream into lemon filling; spread into meringue shell.
Top with remaining whipped cream. Refrigerate leftovers.Yield: 6-8 servings

Reaction score
Yesterday I tried to make a lemon meringue pie but my first round of meringue didn't fluff at all and stayed very watery. what could have been the problem. I followed the recipe perfectly so I'm not sure what I could have done wrong.
I haven't even made a lemon meringue pie myself but my mom is an expert!! So good! I have seen here bake them many times and she always throws hints my way . :) She always say... never get ANY yolk in the egg whites ... it will never fluff into a meringue!!

I have made meringue ( mostly because I love to eat it after baking it for a bit! :) and I learned that tip first hand!

Don't give up... you have to start somewhere. :)

Danyel :)

Reaction score
What i do to make shure that the bowl and wiskers are clean, i whipe them of with half a lemon (dont wipe it of with a cloth, just use it right after you've done). The juice will make everything fatt-free..

Reaction score
I've made meringues a few times in my life, and some yolk has broken into the the whites, but I never had any problems like this because of it.

The problem I've come across with watery whites, is that there is too much water in the egg itself and not enough albumen. If the egg is too watery, it will not whip up, regardless of yolks or not.

There are stabilization powders you can add to meringues when you whip them up to help them whip up and keep from breaking down once whipped. Depending on what you are doing with the meringues, will depend on what stabilization you should use.

Ask a Question