My guy does not like cake!

Reaction score
My husband's birthday is tomorrow and I am trying to find something sweet to make him because he does not like cake...he is strange, yes! I do not want to make cookies. Does anyone have any suggestions because I am stuck.

Reaction score
Cookies would have been my suggestion, first. Though, IF not, I had a friend who hated cakes. I made them pies instead. Still sweet, and near on pudding for the filling so they can't tell a difference, baking a pie is a good way around the cake snafu.

If not, I'd suggest some type of birthday themed ice-creams. They can still get the flavor of the cake, but it's ice cream and still sweet.

Reaction score
Scones? they take roughly 30 minute start to finish.

What is it about cake he does not like? The sponge side of life?

Otherwise you could look at a homemade cheesecake, Lemon Meringue Pie or Apple Crumble, something like that. Flapjacks (UK style) are another that spring to mind. How about Nutella Chocolate Chip Brownies? I posted a recipe on here for those a few days ago,
https://www.baking-forums.com/threads/nutella-chocolate-chip-brownies.2535/
just don't cut them up and have them as one big one?

Reaction score
Pies!!! A nice meat pie always does the trick for me when I have guests who don't like sweet stuff much or who can't consume sugar for some reason. If he likes pecans then a pecan pie could also be a good option, those are always a hit at home ;) Even among those who are not supposed to consume sugar, hehehe.

Reaction score
I vote for pie, too...if he is a pie fan. Pie always seems special.
My husband loves pie. His favorites are Dutch apple and blueberry cream cheese.

Reaction score
I know some people who don't like cake; many times they have said they don't like how dry or "crumbly" the cake is. Maybe your husband just hasn't had a really good cake yet?

But you have plenty of other dessert options! Tarts, chocolate-based desserts, ice cream...there's a lot you can do for dessert :) What does he like?

Reaction score
Pie is cool! Brownies is fun, too. Ice cream cake could be a solution, also -- my mom is not a fan of cakes, but she likes ice cream cakes because... well, it's ice cream. For the same reason, she likes mousses. (And mousses are pretty fancy!)

Nothing pushed you to make something cakey, either. You could make some fancy jell-o, with whipped cream and decoratios. Or boozy Jell-O for sweets and party!

Reaction score
I agree with all those who are suggesting pies and those kinds of things. Of course that's provided he's not completely against sweets. Even so Trellum mentioned pecan pie. I am anxious to hear out things turned out as I can speak with a lot of authority here. Sometimes I think my husband isn't to much cakes and then he completely destroys them. Recently I had a fail with something I baked and he almost single-handedly took care of the cake. He never fails to amaze me.

Reaction score
I know this is a little late but I do not like cake either, I am more of a pie lover. But my grandmother used to make ( and I still do ) a cake called a Heath Bar Cake. It is whipped angel food cake with puddings, heath bar chips and whip cream. It is amazing and an instant favorite!

Grandma Charlie's Heath Bar Cake
1 package of Angel Food Cake
1 box instant ( or regular if you prefer ) vanilla pudding
1 box instant butterscotch pudding
1 bag of heath bar chips
1 tub of whip cream

Take the angel food cake and rip it into small pieces and put in a mixing bowl. Make the pudding according to the directions on the box and pour over the ripped up angel food cake. Then open the bag of heath bar chips and add half bag to the mixture.

Whip this very good with either a mixer or whisk for about 2 minutes.
Top with whip cream and sprinkles of the rest of the bag of heath bar chips
Let set for about an hour in the fridge then serve. :)

I'm sure you could substitute the Heath for any of his favorite chocolate candies. give it a try it is VERY addicting.

Reaction score
I'm late, sorry, but maybe for next time or for someone else... does cheesecake count or would he like that? Also, what about an ice cream "cake" that is all ice cream and no cake, but still looks like a cake? I've done that for my husband if he didn't want regular cake. It's fairly simple to do. Just make layers of ice cream with different things between the layers. I did a banana split cake once using the flavors you would find in a banana split. I topped it with sliced bananas.

Reaction score
With all these great ideas I am more than curious to know how everything turned out. Even if things did not turn out well for the hussy and I hope they did, we are still left with some interesting ideas for future reference. Pies are not something I should probably try next.

Reaction score
With all these great ideas I am more than curious to know how everything turned out. Even if things did not turn out well for the hussy and I hope they did, we are still left with some interesting ideas for future reference. Pies are not something I should probably try next.
@Winterybella For the "Hussy" Huh?:D LoL. I hope our suggestions helped you come up with an idea for him, let us know what works! :)

Reaction score
I ended up just buying him ice cream because we both worked a lot this last week and I was not in the mood to get too creative in the kitchen. He enjoyed his ice cream and I made him tacos for dinner. Next year I will have to go all out for his dessert.

Reaction score
At times it's the thought that counts; the next time around you could think about getting him a Hershey Pie, it's just so delicious!

Reaction score
Her hey pies are very tasty. I actually got a whole Hershey bake book a couple of years ago for Christmas and love it. The ingredients can be quite spend though!

Reaction score
If you feel like making a dessert that is easy and good for anytime is a Cookies and Cream pie..Oreos, Candy chips of your choosing, A Gram Cracker pie crust, Whip Cream &I use just a tiny bit vanilla ice cream which not only helps the texture but it also helps to keep it cold once removing from the fridge. So very simple to put together, mix the 4 ingredients and pour into the crust. Top with your favorite candy chips. :)

Reaction score
All these ideas sound wonderful, especially the Heath Bar cake!

My sister and I used to make this Ice Cream Pie W/Oreo Cookie Crust for get-togethers. Not only is it delicious and refreshing on a hot summer day, but it's super easy to make, and you can make it a day ahead if you think you'll be pressed for time on the day you need the dessert. Your guests will rave about it!

20 Oreos, crushed
1 1/4 stick butter - melted
1/2 gallon ice cream, softened - I've tried strawberry, cherry and chocolate fudge swirl - any flavor will do!

Crust: Place Oreos in your blender or food processer and crush them. Mix crushed Oreos and the melted butter. Mold the Oreo mixture into bottom of 9 x 13 inch pan and freeze.
Filling: Add softened ice cream and smooth out. Add a whipped topping or nuts if you like!
ENJOY!

Ask a Question