Ok, You Asked For It...............

Reaction score
Ok, here are some pics from "way back when".
I worked in a grocery store bakery in a "high end" area of town, so my boss let me do what I wanted, since I brought in the money.

This is where I had to learn how to work with sculpting in buttercream, as fondant was very expensive at the time and my boss wouldn't order me any so I could learn how to decorate with it. (fondant looks pretty, but tastes nasty anyway)

So, just remember..........

I was teaching myself how to sculpt in cake and buttercream at this point, AND this was BEFORE cell phones had cameras in them. I could only afford disposable cameras at the time, and they did not take the clearest or sharpest pictures......so I'm sorry if some of them look out of focus or fuzzy.

mycakes.jpg

Reaction score
Display Case 1.png

I had my own display case, because this was a large store, we had an extra case we did not use, so my boss let me have it for all of my creations.

Frog-Spagetti-LadyBug-DollFace Cakes.png

Here is a Frog Cake, Spaghetti and Meatball Cake, LadyBug Cake (not mine), and a Doll Face Cake.

Spagetti-Hamburger-Watermelon Cakes.png

Here is a Spaghetti and Meatball Cake, Hamburger and Fries, and Watermelon Cake.

Reaction score
Beach Ball Cake.png

This was a special order cake....a Beach Ball (life sized), this was a HUGE cake!
The cake board is decorated with "grass" and gummie frogs.

Bear Face Cake.png

This is a Bear Face Cake

Dinosaur Cake.png

Dinosaur Cake.
This was a VERY popular cake and was a PAIN to make.
The color is washed out on this a bit. It's a brown dinosaur with pink spots.

Goldfish Cake.png

Goldfish Cake

Lady Bug Cake.png

LadyBug Cake
This was semi-popular.

Reaction score
Pig Cake.png

Piggy Cake

Terrier Cake.png

White Terrier Cake
The details are washed out, but you get the idea.

Trailer Cake.png

Trailer Cake.
I made this for my boss when she moved into a trailer house.
:p

Turtle Cake.png

Smiling Turtle Cake

It is time consuming having to scan these then trim, cut, and paste them.
I will put more pictures on when I'm not so pooped.

Reaction score
Wow, those cakes are amazing! You have such a great talent, it's a shame you don't do it anymore.

Reaction score
Wow, those cakes are amazing! You have such a great talent, it's a shame you don't do it anymore.

Well, like I said in other posts......I tried to get my own bakery for almost 15 years and was shot down and even laughed at when asking for small loans or anything to help me get going. I just finally gave up....it wasn't worth the aggravation anymore.

I would have stayed in the grocery store game, but it doesn't pay much. I told them I wanted to go into management training, and they said no. So I walked out the door and went into office work.

I did try to start an "at home" business, but nobody wanted to pay for it, they all wanted it for free.
I even created a small "menu" that listed sizes, types, and flavors of cakes, as well as some other stuff I make, like homemade sandwich spreads.

Reaction score
Yeah, it's certainly a very difficult market to go in to at the moment :(

Reaction score
Easter Bunny Cake.png

Easter Bunny Cake

Flower Power Cake
This one was popular, but a pain because of all the colors I had to pipe out
Flower Power Cake.png

Here was a Fathers Day cake I made....
a grill with a hamburger and hot dogs on it.
Grill Cake.png

Here is a VW Bug painted like a Lady Bug
Lady Bug VW Bug Cake.png

Reaction score
We had a lot of ginger bread houses left over from Christmas, so we decorated them for Valentines Day and called them "Love Shacks"
Love Shacks.png

Here is an "Over The Hill" cake
a man laying over a hill...........get it?
Over The Hill Cake.png

Smiley Face Cake
Smiley Face Cake.png

Soccer Ball Cake
Basketball Cake
Soccer-Basketball Cake.png

Reaction score
This was a specific order.......a lady wanted a "tye dye" cake.
It took me a few tries to figure out how to make it look like tye dye....but I did it
TyeDye Cake.png

Pink VW Bug cake
VW Bug Cake.png

VW Van Cake
VW Van Cake.png

Reaction score
I did a lot of wedding cakes also, but the photos were all washed out, as most of the cakes are all white or light colors so you cant see any detail.

Reaction score
Wow, these are really great. You are definitely talented. Looks like a LOT of work but great results.

I've only tinkered with a few simple shapes, mostly when the kids were little. Numbers, letters, flowers, a (very simple) dino for a cousin, and I did manage a bib and a onesie for my daughter's baby shower that turned out cute. I mostly do "straight lines," noting too fancy. Not like yours.

Nice!

Reaction score
Wow, these are really great. You are definitely talented. Looks like a LOT of work but great results.

I've only tinkered with a few simple shapes, mostly when the kids were little. Numbers, letters, flowers, a (very simple) dino for a cousin, and I did manage a bib and a onesie for my daughter's baby shower that turned out cute. I mostly do "straight lines," noting too fancy. Not like yours.

Nice!

Well, I found the secret to shaped cakes, is actually having SHAPED cake!! Not having to pile tons of frosting on and sculpt out of that. I taught myself how to shape cakes and then frost them and decorate to resemble something.

Reaction score
Amazing as I expected and I am here to tell you it isn't too late to accomplish your goals. I am positive there are ways to showcase your talent and make a living from it even. Just saying @ChesterV .....it can still happen.

Reaction score
Chester, these are awesome! Thanks first and foremost for taking the time to scan and upload all the pictures!

I LOVE the burger and fries cake. I think that's my favorite! I also love the effect you used to create the tie-dye looking cake - it really does look just like a tie-dyed shirt!

Reaction score
Great cakes, lots of variety there. I love the trailer and flower power cakes, and what a great idea to make 'love shacks' with the leftover gingerbread houses! I'm sure the owner really appreciated the inventiveness of that. I made the basics back when I took cake decorating, and afterwards for a bit, but then I got busy with work and school, and have since lost my skills.

Reaction score
Chester, these are awesome! Thanks first and foremost for taking the time to scan and upload all the pictures!

I LOVE the burger and fries cake. I think that's my favorite! I also love the effect you used to create the tie-dye looking cake - it really does look just like a tie-dyed shirt!

The burger and fries is cool, but I love the grill one. Too darned cute. The spaghetti and meatballs one is funny too. That's something I never would have thought up in a million years. I really like the watermelon slices as well. Heck, I just like all of them. So creative. :)

Reaction score
The burger and fries is cool, but I love the grill one. Too darned cute. The spaghetti and meatballs one is funny too. That's something I never would have thought up in a million years. I really like the watermelon slices as well. Heck, I just like all of them. So creative. :)

True...I would not complain at all if I received any of them as a birthday or special occasion cake! They're all awesome!

Reaction score
Ok, here are some more....

This is a Christmas cake, made to look like a snow scene.
I know its hard to make out some of the decor on it.
Cmas Cake.png

The first doll cake I ever made.
Doll Cake.png

This is a grave cake with arms and legs sticking out of it.
This was for some older people I worked with at the time.
They wanted to get married on Halloween, and their kids thought they were crazy and would not throw them a party. So we did at work.
Grave Cake.png

Easter Egg Cake
Easter Egg Cake.png

Ask a Question