Quick Homemade White Bread Recipe

Reaction score
My husband loves the homemade bread that his mother used to make growing up. It was just a white sandwich bread-type loaf. The problem is that the recipe says to start the dough the night before and then punch it down, roll it out, put it in pans and wait 2-3 more hours for it to rise before baking. There is only minimal kneading done before putting it in the refrigerator. Is there some way to shorten the process? Does it really need to have 9-10 hours in the fridge? I often don't decide to make bread until the day that I want to have it and therefore can't follow this recipe as written. And, unfortunately, I have yet to make another bread that husband likes as well. Help!

Reaction score
What type of yeast are you using? Fresh, dried, sourdough? I make bread using all three types, and the only one I put in the fridge overnight is sourdough - there's no avoiding that because the process is quite drawn out.

If you're using fresh or dried yeast, you can put it in the fridge overnight and I have done that in the past to work around my schedule. However, it's not necessary. What I would say at this point is that the best tasting bread with the fullest flavour is the bread that is allowed to rise very slowly; putting your dough in the fridge overnight retards the growth of the yeast, and slows everything down so that your loaf will have a much better flavour. That's the only reason for doing it. That said, I've made bread both ways, and provided I'm using good organic flour I've found that bread can be just as good when allowed to rise at room temperature for an hour or so.

Without seeing your recipe I can't say for certain, but make your dough and let it rise for an hour until it's doubled; deflate, shape, put in the tin and allow to double again for 30mins to one hour, then bake. You'll certainly get a well risen loaf in a short space of time, but whether or not it tastes as good is something you'll have to decide once you've tasted it.

Reaction score
Is oit a sourdough recipe? Proving overnight on the fridge is required for some of them, but you can prove at any temperature that does not kill the yeast ( natural a in sour dough year or yeast yeast) it is just that the taste will not develop in the same way and the holes may be a different size from my experience.

Ask a Question