Pizza Monkey Bread

Reaction score
I know we were talking recently about monkey bread, and I mentioned I'd seen some savory recipes for it. Here's one that I think I will try at some point. My monkey bread pans are half sized, so I guess I could use this recipe and split the ingredients between the two pans, or just substitute a full sized pan for that batch.

This is a pepperoni pizza monkey bread, but I'm sure there are other recipes floating around in cyber space for those who don't eat meat or just don't like pepperoni pizza. I like the idea of trying out a savory monkey bread, and this would probably work well for any family meal or also for a small get together meal or as an appetizer.

Attachments

• pizza monkey bread.jpg
    pizza monkey bread.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 512
Reaction score
I don't know. I don't recall if people I've spoken to outside of the U.S. are familiar with it or not. It's an easy recipe, and is quick to pull together if you suddenly have people coming over. It is always a hit, especially with children, since they enjoy eating with their hands/fingers.

It's sometimes called pull apart bread. The typical version is made with refrigerated biscuits that you cut into pieces and toss in a bag or bowl with sugar and cinnamon, and sometimes mixed nuts. They're then layered in a mini bundt pan or full-sized one if you've made enough pieces, and melted butter is also involved. There are other versions that can be found with an internet search. It's really delicious. The ones I've used in the past call for a lot of sugar, but I've cut back some on that, and I'm sure there are healthier versions to be found, as well.

Attachments

• upload_2016-10-13_13-31-58.jpeg
    upload_2016-10-13_13-31-58.jpeg
    10.2 KB · Views: 572
Reaction score
I think it's a US thing - hubby is American but I didn't grow up in the US, and I had never heard of it until I moved to the states! It IS delicious though - most often I see it as a cinnamon one, I liken it to a giant pull apart cinnamon roll (dangerously good!)

This pizza one sounds like a really yummy savory take on it! And pizza anything is a winner in my book!

Ask a Question