Pop tarts

Reaction score
So I bought some pop tarts today and I just thought;surely there has to be a way to make these at home that would be cheaper, right? Because dammmmnnnnn those things are expensive!

Anyway, I came across this recipe in my travels and I thought I should share it with you guys. I dunno if it'll work out cheaper as such, but considering it means that you could make any flavour of pop tart that you want-some flavours are regional I believe-I think I'll be making them fairly soon, even if it's just as a tester.

Reaction score
Hi Livvy,
PopTarts are fun to make. I cheat and use Trader Joe's frozen pie crust.
I've made fruit ones and then I went crazy and made a batch with dulce de leche. Oh boy!
I need to make PopTarts again...thanks for the reminder!

Reaction score
Lately I've been coming across King Arthur Flour based recipes that bloggers can describe so appetizingly. This one is so simple, too, just the usual flour, sugar, salt, butter; eggs, milk... jam and cornstarch water for filling. This sounds like a great recipe for a beginner baker, just as enjoyable for those with more experience too. The pictures in your link look so charmingly rustic and homestyle, and that makes me want to eat them more!

Reaction score
Well, after I scoffed down my proper ones from Kellogs, I tried making some of my own. Which reminded me that I used to make them with my mum when I was younger. Or that I did once at some point. I may have refused to do it again because I think I ended up burning my mouth really badly on the strawberry jam, all because I refused to let my pop tart cool!

Reaction score
Do you put homemade pop tarts in the toaster, or do you bake them? I would be nervous to put my own in the toaster for fear they would break open.

Reaction score
Do you put homemade pop tarts in the toaster, or do you bake them? I would be nervous to put my own in the toaster for fear they would break open.
I've been using the oven myself, however I imagine that if you baked the pop tarts, and then saved them for later, you'd be able to use the toaster to heat them up again if you get me?

Reaction score
I used to make pop tarts for my kids when they were small. I just made pie crust, rolled it out sort of squarish, cut the rectangles, filled them with the jam of choice, put the top on, crimped the edges, made some small slits in the top and then into the oven until slightly brown. Yummy. HMMM makes me want to make some again with sugar free jam since I am now diabetic. I used to love those nasty little things from the store!

Reaction score
I used to make pop tarts for my kids when they were small. I just made pie crust, rolled it out sort of squarish, cut the rectangles, filled them with the jam of choice, put the top on, crimped the edges, made some small slits in the top and then into the oven until slightly brown. Yummy. HMMM makes me want to make some again with sugar free jam since I am now diabetic. I used to love those nasty little things from the store!
Yeah I believe my mum used to do this for me as well, but I can't remember for sure. I may be thinking of pancakes or something. Either way, I'm really anxious to try both of these things now, pop tarts and pancakes I mean.

Reaction score
I only buy Kellogg's Pop Tarts when I have coupons. Which, what do you know, I've been finding a lot lately. Pop Tarts don't last long around our house at all! I am very intrigued at the idea of making homemade Pop Tarts! Definitely something to look into!

Reaction score
They do sound really good. I don't buy Pop Tarts very often unless I can find them on sale somewhere. The great thing about the store bought ones is that you do not even need to heat them before you eat them, so they are good for an on the go breakfast.

Reaction score
I only buy Kellogg's Pop Tarts when I have coupons. Which, what do you know, I've been finding a lot lately. Pop Tarts don't last long around our house at all! I am very intrigued at the idea of making homemade Pop Tarts! Definitely something to look into!
Where on earth are you finding coupons for Pop tarts! Share them right this instant!

Reaction score
I never thought of making pop tarts at home - it's years since I've had them! The recipe in the link you've given looks really good, and it's very well laid out too.

I think I'd probably do mine in the oven first, then pop them in the toaster when I want to have one. I wonder if they would freeze well?

Reaction score
I never thought of making pop tarts at home - it's years since I've had them! The recipe in the link you've given looks really good, and it's very well laid out too.

I think I'd probably do mine in the oven first, then pop them in the toaster when I want to have one. I wonder if they would freeze well?
I don't see why they wouldn't. Pastry freezes quite well, and jam freezes well, so I don't see why them combined wouldn't freeze as well. And if you were to freeze them in large amounts, you could just take them out of the freezer whenever you want, leave them to defrost for a bit, and pop them in the toaster to cook!

Reaction score
I don't see why they wouldn't. Pastry freezes quite well, and jam freezes well, so I don't see why them combined wouldn't freeze as well. And if you were to freeze them in large amounts, you could just take them out of the freezer whenever you want, leave them to defrost for a bit, and pop them in the toaster to cook!

Sounds good to me! I'm trying to get into batch baking sweet treats (I do this all the time with my bread) and to have something on hand to quickly thaw and use when I want it. Frozen pop tarts would be great for weekend treats when we're both at home. I think I'll give that a go, and see if I can come up with some more yummy fillings that might freeze well.

Thanks Livvy :)

Reaction score
Sounds good to me! I'm trying to get into batch baking sweet treats (I do this all the time with my bread) and to have something on hand to quickly thaw and use when I want it. Frozen pop tarts would be great for weekend treats when we're both at home. I think I'll give that a go, and see if I can come up with some more yummy fillings that might freeze well.

Thanks Livvy :)
No problem! :) Please do get back to us on how it goes as well. Off the top of my head, jams would be your best bet, since I know they freeze well and keep for aaaages. As would chocolate spreads and the like, although I think you would need to make sure you leave a lttle wiggle room for the chocolate and jam now that I think about it. Just so it doesn't crack the pastry when it's freezing in place.

I dunno how quick you'd be able to thaw them out mind, although if you were to use your grill or something, I'm sure it'd be no time at all. I haven't ever tried defrosting something in the toaster, you know?

Reaction score
No problem! :) Please do get back to us on how it goes as well. Off the top of my head, jams would be your best bet, since I know they freeze well and keep for aaaages. As would chocolate spreads and the like, although I think you would need to make sure you leave a lttle wiggle room for the chocolate and jam now that I think about it. Just so it doesn't crack the pastry when it's freezing in place.

I dunno how quick you'd be able to thaw them out mind, although if you were to use your grill or something, I'm sure it'd be no time at all. I haven't ever tried defrosting something in the toaster, you know?

I'll definitely let you know it goes livvy. :) Very good point about allowing some wiggle room for expansion - what a mess it would be to have jam or chocolate spread oozing out!!! To be honest, I think jam or chocolate spread are the best ones anyway, so even if I don't come up with any other fillings, I'd be very happy with a stockpile of jam or chocolate spread in the freezer :):)

The thawing out part might be a challenge; I have a defrost setting on my toaster, but I might be better off allowing them to partly defrost before putting them in. Wish me luck! ;)

Reaction score
I used to love pop tarts but the las time I tasted them they were just alright. I think it would be best to make you own at home because they are very pricey and taste artifical. I like the idea of making them with fresh fruit.

Reaction score
I used to love pop tarts but the las time I tasted them they were just alright. I think it would be best to make you own at home because they are very pricey and taste artifical. I like the idea of making them with fresh fruit.

I agree. I'm going to have a go at making a batch this weekend, and freezing some.

Incidentally, I took a look at the list of ingredients on a packet of pop tarts I liked the sound of - they were brown sugar and cinnamon, I think. It openly said "artificial ingredients" and a list of other unrecognizable things. I love Pop Tarts, but not after reading that list!! :eek:

Ask a Question