Powdered sugar dusting disappears on cake

Reaction score
My daughter makes a wonderful chocolate bundt cake that is rich enough not to need any type of frosting or glaze. She does typically dust it with powdered sugar just to make it look pretty. However, the cake is so moist that it takes very little time before the sugar is just absorbed into the cake and disappears. Is there a way to keep this from happening? She has twice taken a beautiful cake to a potluck only to be disappointed when she removes the cover for dinner to find just a plain chocolate cake sitting there.

Reaction score
I think that's pretty normal that powder sugar would dissolve like this on a wet-ish cake. She could either sprinkle at the last moment, or not sprinkle at all and then powder it when it's on individual plates. Or she could find something else to top it?

Reaction score
It is normal. The only option would be to first it there or not dust it at all.
Icing sugar/super fine sugar is a hydrphyllic compound and loves to absorb water. It is one of the reasons that the stuff you buy in the shops contains corn starch, to allow it to flow freely and tolerate a little water in the air. But that does give me an idea. She could try mixing the icing sugar with more corn starch as an experiment. It may just last longer and give her the effect she is after. I think it is a test it first option though!

Reaction score
If it was me I'd not dust it at all, unless I was having some people over, then I'd just dust it right in the other room before everyone sees it. I'd then come out with my newly dusted cake ;) Mission accomplished... everyone has seen the dusted cake...

Reaction score
I would make sure it was absolutely cold before dusting, and if it's still disappearing at that point, just dust it right at the last minute before serving. It's a tricky one to get just right - especially with bundt cakes.

Reaction score
I was going to say the same thing about making sure it's cooled all the way through before dusting. I get impatient and tend not to cool things long enough. I want to get done and move on to the next thing. I've learned to wait longer now, after a few mishaps in this department. I'd also consider waiting until she's ready to serve it to dust it.

Reaction score
You have to take a bag of powdered sugar with you and dust right before serving. There is not way to prevent this from happening because the moisture in the cake will be absorbed by the sugar.

Ask a Question