Pumpkin cookies with crushed cones?

Reaction score
I’ve done my share of baking with pumpkin, since we get a fair amount donated in the fall. Our residents who live at our retirement facility love the homemade stuff.
The months are going by and we still have quite a bit of pumpkin left I’m thinking of baking some more goodies.
I also recently received a gift of some spices, which included ginger and allspice - two spices I’m not so familiar with.
Also, I found we have some ice cream cones in the cupboard which might be a little past their peak.
I was thinking of crushing them up and using them (and reducing the amount of flour I use by a little).
Any feedback about this as well as the above-mentioned spices would be appreciated.
Thank you!

Reaction score
Oh, you had me at "pumpkin"!!!!! I LOOOOOOOVE pumpkin ANYTHING!!!!!

Allspice works well with pumpkin, if you are making sweet things to eat.
Ginger works with pumpkin if you are making something a little less sweet, or if you are using the pumpkin as a vegetable in a dish.

Old Ice Cream cones....are they the standard cones or are they the sugar cones/waffle cones?
If they are a bit stale, you can heat up a small oven to 100 degrees, if you have one (or use the regular one), turn off the heat, then place the cones on a cookie sheet and then place them in the oven. Leave them until the oven cools off. They should be less stale and viable.

If they are the sugar/waffle cones, you can crush them up and use them at garnish for the tops of custards or ice cream, or cookies. You can crush these up loose or put them in a food processor and turn them into a nice "powder" for sprinkling or garnishing things. You might be able to add this to cookie batter too.

If they are the standard type cones, I don't think there's much you can do with that type. The product its made from gets pretty slimy when crushed up and added to something else (I've tried it before). I would put this in the food processor with a bit of sugar and allspice and make a nice garnish powder out of it.

If these are the standard ice cream cones, and you use them as an ingredient, please let me know how it turns out.

If you search 'pumpkin' in the search bar at the top of the page, there should be a lot of pumpkin ideas that come up.

Reaction score
The turned out pretty good. I just substituted the cones in place of the oatmeal that was called for (I didn't have any oatmeal handy.
I must have put in twice the pumpkin I was supposed to by mistake, because I thought I had a couple of cups left over and it's no where to be found.
I'm glad because I didn't feel like more baking after the four dozen cookies I made. They were plenty sweet, though. I probably should have cut back more on the sugar due to the sweetness of the cones.

Ask a Question