Pumpkin or Sweet Potato Pie

Reaction score
I have never eaten pumpkin pie but was told that it tastes like sweet potato. Is this true?

Reaction score
I wouldn't know, I've never had sweet potato pie before.. I'll have to give it a shot. I hadn't had pumpkin pie in years because I detested it as a child and now that I've tried it again and actually don't mind it, I do taste a similarity to sweet potatoes, I suppose. I made a sweet potato mash once that sort of reminded me of it too..

Reaction score
Same here! Never have tasted a sweet potato pie yet.

On the other hand, while a sweet pumpkin pie is commonly served at Thanksgiving day, there is a savory variety because pumpkin tastes good also when used in salty recipes.

Reaction score
I like both of them but pumpkin pie wins hands down in my opinion. I enjoy the taste and the texture of the pumpkin pie over sweet potato pie. I would rather have sweet potato casserole instead of sweet potato pie.

Reaction score
Every Halloween when we carve pumpkins we hollow out the center and use it to make pumpkin related everything! No Halloween season is complete without pumpkin pie- it's just so yummy and if I see it on the menu in restaurants year round, I always make sure to order it.

Reaction score
They do taste rather similar, especially since you are using the same spices and other ingredients in both of them. I will eat either, but I too prefer the texture of pumpkin pie. It's smoother and not starchy like sweet potato pie - which I find to be a little too rich. Especially when I've just had a big meal for Thanksgiving.

I did see a recipe however, for a whipped sweet potato casserole with a pistachio crumb topping (in place of the uber sweet marshmellows), which looks interesting though.

Reaction score
I do not like sweet potatoes and so I would venture to say that pumpkin pie us much better. I really hate the baked sweet potatoes people have with marshmallows too...gross.

Reaction score
I have never had pumpkin pies but there is nothing to me like sweet potatoes...especially sweet potato puddings..however i think i'll need to check out the pumpkin pie and see if there's any similarity in their tastes.

Reaction score
I suppose they do have a similar taste, but I think there are significant differences...it's hard to explain. Sweet potato pie is definitely worth a try though, I love pumpkin but sweet potato is great as well.

Reaction score
To me they are completely different in taste and texture. Sweet potatoes are a starch, while pumpkin is just a vegetable. That's a huge difference is composition of the food and the calories. Sweet potatoes are often eaten just mashed with a little butter added while pumpkin is usually not served by itself, though many pumpkins can be eaten in the same way one would eat a butternut squash.

Reaction score
To me they are completely different in taste and texture. Sweet potatoes are a starch, while pumpkin is just a vegetable. That's a huge difference is composition of the food and the calories. Sweet potatoes are often eaten just mashed with a little butter added while pumpkin is usually not served by itself, though many pumpkins can be eaten in the same way one would eat a butternut squash.

Of course I agree they're hugely different ingredients, but I've had pies where they taste quite similar...though sometimes I think people are really trying for that- in particular, really trying to have their sweet potato pies resemble/taste like pumpkin pies.

Reaction score
I love both, but given the choice , I go for a goood sweet potato pie. For those who say they tase pretty much the same ,you have never had a really good sweet potato pie.

Reaction score
I am glad I stumbled on this thread. I have been eating pumpkin for a few days now and not doing much to jazz it up. Either too lazy or can't decide how to make something special of it without adding too much to diminish it's health benefits. I could really get carried away and turn it into something tastier than sweet potato pie.

Even after all that I still prefer sweet potato pie not to mention it's easier to perfect while retaining it's natural flavor. That's provided it is not a tasteless sweet potato.When it is, it them becomes the same as a pumpkin you have to work magic on.

Reaction score
They both taste the same to me, but I like pumpkin better because sweet potato pie still has that starchy sweet potato texture, while pumpkin pie is smooth,

Ask a Question