Pumpkin Spice Cake Balls

Reaction score
I love cake balls - they're delicious and also look so cute!

Here's a recipe I want to try which is from the blog "Back to her roots" - the link to the source is below! Going to make them this weekend so my husband can take them into work!

http://backtoherroots.com/2013/09/26/pumpkin-spice-cake-balls/

For the Cake
  • 1 box spice cake mix
  • 3 eggs
  • 1–15 ounce can pumpkin puree (or about 2 cups)
For the Frosting
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 stick butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Coating
  • 1 pound vanilla candy coating
  • 1-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 ounce semisweet chocolate
  • Sprinkles
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and lightly-flour two cake pans, set aside.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the cake mix, eggs, and pumpkin puree on medium-low speed until just combined. Then turn the speed up to medium-high and beat for 2 minutes, until light and fluffy. Divide the batter between the prepared cake pans and bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool completely.
  3. To make the frosting, beat together the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of a mixer. Add in the powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, until smooth.
  4. To make cake balls, break up the cake into a large bowl, add in the frosting, and using clean hands, smoosh it together until well-mixed. Using damp hands, form the mixture into 1″ balls and place them onto a baking sheet. Once you’ve finished with all the mixture, place the baking sheet in the freezer.
  5. While the cake balls are chilling, melt the candy coating in a saucepan over low heat, until smooth. Add in the vegetable oil, a tablespoon at a time, until the mixture is the thickness of a thin alfredo sauce. Do not try to thin out the coating with milk or water (it’ll just make it clumpy). Turn off the burner.
  6. Remove the cake balls from the freezer, and working one at a time, gently drop a cake ball into the candy coating, and spoon more over top to coat. Fish out the ball with a spoon, and place it on wax paper to harden. Repeat with remaining cake balls, you should have just enough candy coating to do all the balls.
  7. For decoration: melt the semisweet chocolate in the microwave, using a spoon, drizzle it on the cake balls and then top with sprinkles.

Reaction score
Oh this sounds really yummy. I love spice cake in the first place, and then when it's combined with cream cheese frosting, it's divine. I made cake balls years back, and they came out delicious, and were very popular. The good thing about a recipe like this is that even if the cake comes out uneven or falls, it doesn't matter, since you're tearing it apart to make the balls anyway, so this should be a popular recipe!

Reaction score
Oh this sounds really yummy. I love spice cake in the first place, and then when it's combined with cream cheese frosting, it's divine. I made cake balls years back, and they came out delicious, and were very popular. The good thing about a recipe like this is that even if the cake comes out uneven or falls, it doesn't matter, since you're tearing it apart to make the balls anyway, so this should be a popular recipe!

You read my mind - it's one of those low stress recipes for me, because like you said if there's anything aesthetically wrong with the cake it doesn't matter because it's all getting smashed up anyhow! I love making cake balls/pops for that very reason!

Reaction score
You read my mind - it's one of those low stress recipes for me, because like you said if there's anything aesthetically wrong with the cake it doesn't matter because it's all getting smashed up anyhow! I love making cake balls/pops for that very reason!

It's funny that right when this thread popped up the other day, I'd been wondering if cake pops were still popular. It seemed a while back that every time I turned on the television or logged on to social media sites, everyone was talking about cake pops. A friend and I had even discussed making and selling them at our impending garage sale, but I hadn't heard of them in a while, then up popped this thread. It's crazy how something becomes popular, and then the frenzy seems to even off. I still love them, because they're a nice way to eat something we traditionally sit down and have, but now that they're portable, we can easily transport them. And, I think one of the best features about them is as we've said, you can actually make something beautiful out of a cake that might otherwise be thrown out. Of course I'd never throw it out, but I've seen people doing so, which to me is a huge waste.

Reaction score
Awesome recipe! Thanks for sharing! Those look easy enough t make, I might give them a try, I had been thinking what other things (that are not cheap boring candies) I could offer to the kids during the St. marteen celebration (it's like the dutch version of Halloween. I might offer those next year :) I would place 3 in a little bag and just tie the top with a nice little ribbon :)

Ask a Question