Pumpkin Swirl Brownies

Reaction score
Found this great sounding recipe for pumpkin brownies that I'm going to try once I can get to the store. Anyone else a fan of pumpkin and chocolate together? Any recipes or tricks to share? ;)

Ingredients
  • Pumpkin batter:
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • orange food coloring, optional
  • Brownie batter:
  • 8 tablespoons (4 ounces) unsalted butter
  • 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) granulated sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup (3 3/4 ounces) all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
Procedures

1. Adjust rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Place cupcake liners in a 12-cup muffin pan. Stir cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Whisk in pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, egg yolk, and vanilla until combined. Add a few dabs of orange food coloring if desired. Set aside.

2. Heat butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water, stirring, until melted and smooth. Place eggs, sugar, and salt in large bowl and whisk until lightened, about 45 seconds. Whisk in chocolate mixture and vanilla until mixture is glossy and smooth. Add flour, cocoa, and baking powder and then whisk until completely combined.

3. Divide brownie batter between the cups, reserving about 3/4 cup. Divide pumpkin batter between the cups. Portion the remaining brownie batter between the cups. Using a butter knife, swirl the batters together.

4. Bake until edges are slightly puffed and center is just set, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan before removing. These can be eaten room temperature (they will be soft) or chill to fully set. Refrigerate leftovers.

Reaction score
This sounds quite tasty to be honest. I hAve a box of brownie mix in my cabinet so I may just mix the pumpkin stuff together and fold into my brownie mix.

Reaction score
I can't get on board with the chocolate + pumpkin combo. However, I will happily incorporate your yummy pumpkin swirl into some blondies. Thanks for the recipe and inspiration!

Reaction score
Sweetkymom, awesome, let me know how they turn out & if you like them ;).

MonkeyBoots, really? I wasn't sure at first but I've grown quite addicted to it, lol. To each their own though, I'm glad you could get some inspiration out of it. :)

Reaction score
Sweetkymom, awesome, let me know how they turn out & if you like them ;).

MonkeyBoots, really? I wasn't sure at first but I've grown quite addicted to it, lol. To each their own though, I'm glad you could get some inspiration out of it. :)
I do have to admit that I bristled at the thought of chocolate chip banana bread, too...until I tasted it. Maybe I should give the pumpkin-chocolate combo a chance. Hey, I'm an open-minded girl!

Reaction score
I do have to admit that I bristled at the thought of chocolate chip banana bread, too...until I tasted it. Maybe I should give the pumpkin-chocolate combo a chance. Hey, I'm an open-minded girl!

Yes, I'm familiar with that kind of reaction...I don't know what it is about certain combinations but sometimes our mind just won't accept something as delicious and awesome until we actually try it ;). I do think you should give it a shot if you're feeling adventurous. There is definitely a right and wrong way to do it, if you know what I mean, but if you get the right balance it is really amazing together.

Ask a Question