Baking gluten-free muffins: Separating sweet and savoury?

Reaction score
I am currently working in a small bakery and i have no experience with gluten free. So I got trained to do gluten free (sweet) muffins first make sure everything is clean and rinsed like bowls and equipment before making the mix etc etc..then do all the other muffin (hi-fibre...choc chip, blueberry etc) then got told when all other muffins are done to do gluten free savoury and put in oven last and of course on top tray in oven if any of the other muffins are still in oven. So my question is why can't I put both gluten free savoury and gluten free sweet in at the same time? Separate muffin tins obviously ? Trainers have left and I feel stupid to ring them and ask them. Also does anyone know why they was calling the blue plastic scraper a bakers friend? They are Australian so maybe it is an Australian term? I used to bake bread and have never heard anyone call it a bakers friend. Thank you for your time :)

Reaction score
Usually, you don't bake sweet and savory in the same oven at the same time.

Lets say you are baking onion and cheese muffins and also baking cranberry and walnut muffins......the scent and acidity of the onions could infuse a bit into the cranberry and walnut muffins, making them smell "off" a bit, or even taste a little "funny".

The same goes for the cranberry and walnut muffins affecting the onion and cheese muffins. Cranberries have acid in them as well, and can have a high aroma factor when being baked, so they might give the onion and cheese muffins a slight "sweet" or cranberry "tang" aroma, which you don't want.

As for the plastic scraper being called a "bakers friend", I've never heard of a scraper being called that either. But I know a lot of bakers and cooks alike use scrapers for just about anything and everything when they need something to work with, but a spoon, knife, or fork just will not work right. It could be an Australian kitchen term for a scraper, but I don't know any Australians. LOL

Hope that helps out, even though I see you posted earlier today....

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your reply :) makes more sense now to do it separately ! yes I've never heard of the term bakers friend at all and as a few colleagues keep saying it now I have said to them it is just a scraper lol not a bakers friend !

Reaction score
I grew up in Australia and lived there until my 20's (i'm in my 30's now!) and I've never heard the term bakers friend either! I'm wondering if perhaps it's a brand name of a certain type of scraper and that's why it ended up with that name. Sometimes that happens and people just end up adopting the brand name rather than just calling it a scraper!

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm also an Aussie, lived there until my late teens. I haven't heard this term, but definitely agree that we should all call the blue plastic scraper a Bakers Friend, as it's such a handy tool, for cutting, slicing dough, scraping cream off the sides of a mixer and mixing with it. I can't do without it :)

Ask a Question