Recipe suddenly stopped working

Reaction score
My mother-in-law has a recipe for Denver Chocolate Pudding (similar to a large molten lava cake) that she has used for 25 years. It's always been fail-proof...until the last two years. Every time she has tried it in the last couple of years, the cake has not set and the resulting texture is all wrong. She hasn't changed anything. We're baffled!

Reaction score
Has your mother-in-law moved? Sometimes different recipes only work at certain elevations or have to be adjusted according to your elevation. The same thing holds true for cooking temperatures and times. Other than that, I wouldn't know. Maybe someone else will come along who has more experience with that ...

Reaction score
Maybe something in the ingredients has changed. If it's not the ingredients, maybe there's some fault with the oven? Could try to put a thermometer in there to check that the heat capacity has not somehow declined. Though if that's the only recipe that changed, it would make no sense. Has anyone else in the family tried to make it?

Reaction score
I would say that either your oven has stopped working as well as it once did, or something about the ingredients you use has changed a bit. Have you tried using different brands of ingredients to see if that solves the problem? I know that some companies are working hard to make their ingredients more healthy than they used to be.

Reaction score
This is not my major but I wonder if it has anything to do with the oven or who knows one or more of the ingredients might have been altered by the manufacturers. I have to say, the thread caught my attention because I am just through baking my FIRST ever chocolate cake from scratch and I am nervous. I have a sneaky feeling something is wrong but I baked it for my son and I am not going to cut it until he comes homes. Actually I did a mug chocolate cake and that was not great.:(

Reaction score
Without really knowing more, like the ingredients and if she has moved house 3 years ago or had a new kitchen/oven it is hard to help. As others mentioned, my best guess is that she is using a cake mix as part of the ingredients and the manufacturer may have changed the ingredients.

Ask a Question