Ricotta Pie

Reaction score
I can't find my Mom's ricotta pie recipe, so I started looking around online. There are many variations of ricotta pie, and this seems closest to the one my Mom used to make at Christmas. Many of the recipes don't specify, but it's best to get the firmer type of ricotta from an Italian deli, or buy the full fat variety from your usual source, and drain it well before using. There are also other recipes in this article, and they all sound delicious. Ricotta pie is similar to cheesecake, but denser, and somewhat firmer. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=88470828

Do you have a favorite ricotta pie recipe? Share it here, so we can all try it.

Reaction score
Interestingly I'm half Italian but my Nonna never made ricotta pie - it sounds fun, though!! Perhaps it's specific to a particular region of Italy.

I've only used ricotta in cooking to make pancakes, to give them that light and fluffy aerated feel. I'm curious though now to give ricotta pie a whirl - a denser, firmer cheesecake sounds yummy!

Reaction score
I've never used it in making pancakes, mostly just in ricotta pie, cannolis and stuffed shells, lasagna and manicotti, but it's always been a favorite of mine, so I try to keep some on hand. If you try the recipe, i hope you enjoy the result, it's truly a delight!

Reaction score
Oh my, I love ricotta! I also happen to love pies ;) So it's weird I hadn't seen this thread before! The pie from this recipe sounds and looks amazing, I guess it's like a cheese pie but with ricotta and pineapple, right? I once made a cheese pie with some ricotta and panela cheese, the panela cheese made it harder tho. I will try this recipe.

Reaction score
Oh my, I love ricotta! I also happen to love pies ;) So it's weird I hadn't seen this thread before! The pie from this recipe sounds and looks amazing, I guess it's like a cheese pie but with ricotta and pineapple, right? I once made a cheese pie with some ricotta and panela cheese, the panela cheese made it harder tho. I will try this recipe.

I've never had a cheese pie, but it's a firm, dense consistency, and is delicious. I've had it with powdered sugar sifted on top, and that seems to really complement the flavor of the ricotta. Definitely make sure if you make this that you use the firm consistency ricotta, or drain it well, otherwise if might fall apart.

Reaction score
I've never had a cheese pie, but it's a firm, dense consistency, and is delicious. I've had it with powdered sugar sifted on top, and that seems to really complement the flavor of the ricotta. Definitely make sure if you make this that you use the firm consistency ricotta, or drain it well, otherwise if might fall apart.

Thanks a lot for the tip, me and my fiance love cheese inmmensely, lol. I will make sure to give it a try, it sounds delicious! Specially with those sweet pineapples added to the mix! Yum!

Ask a Question