Simple Pull-Apart Monkey Bread

Reaction score
We make monkey bread quite often. Its something the kids really enjoy, as well as us adults. I find that its very easy to make, though I never use exact amounts of ingredients, why? Because you really don't have to. It all works itself together.
I use a couple cans of regular, plain, flavorless biscuits and cut them into 4 pieces each. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, put a big ole glob of butter (baseball sized), brown sugar (a cup or so, more or less to your liking) melt and mix together, itll come out like a sauce. Put the biscuit pieces in a pan, loosely, do not smash together, and top with the sauce that you made. Cover it fully, heck, you may have a "puddle" of it around your biscuit pieces. Bake about 20 mins or so, maybe 25 mins... let cool and enjoy!! YUMM!

Reaction score
Yummy! This was the first thing I learned how to make in cooking class in school. I have not had monkey bread in years. It is so easy to make and really good to eat. I am going to have to buy a roll of biscuit dough and make some.

Reaction score
Well I am a little sleepy eyed so I'll have to revisit this monkey business here. I see simple and I get excited. Yet I am not sure it's as simple as it sounds or is it? I will read it again. Maybe it's the cans of plain flavorless biscuits that first has me in trouble. I am going to go Google this since I would also like to see what this pull apart looks like.

Fae

Reaction score
I haven't had monkey bread in awhile, as we normally make it with frozen dough instead of canned biscuits. Those frozen ones were delicious, and I think we've made both the traditional sweet one as well as garlic, herb, and cheese.

I've often considered using packaged biscuits, but the texture of them doesn't quite convince me that they'd make tasty monkey bread. Perhaps it's just that I've been using a brand not suited for a monkey bread texture? Pillsbury makes okay biscuits, but it's hard to see them as properly fluffy cinnamon nuggets.

Reaction score
Oh man, monkey bread is something I haven't had in ages - it's an old favorite though and definitely reminds me of my childhood. My daughter is slowly approaching the age where she seems more and more interested in what I am doing in the kitchen - I think that will be a first to make with her :)

Reaction score
First, I was wondering why the name monkey bread. Next, I find it amusing because the recipe looked so simple. But honestly, this is the first time I've heard of such a pastry. But I understand why it is called pull apart maybe because of the pieces of biscuits that are in the mixture. And I am guessing that the biscuits would somehow be caramelized by the brown sugar so it will be a sweet thing.

Reaction score
I was getting my cheesecake pan from storage the other day and came across my monkey bread pans, so I also grabbed those and washed them up. I'm planning on putting them to use soon. I like to make two small ones, that way I can keep one and share the other with the neighbors. It is a very easy dessert to make. I've seen a few recipes for it that are more savory lately, and I'm sure those are also delicious.

Ask a Question