Something new you'd like to bake this year?

Reaction score
There a lot things I'd love to bake, but sadly I won't bake any of those this year. I'm waiting for the next year :) Still I'd like to share with you what things I'd like to try next year:

f3f96475ef61d1755f7dc30ccdb40268.jpg

bbcfc55370c7642c2ee5b0ba2e038ca5.jpg

cb5400c224ee868b4637e0da0b82957b.jpg

Apple crumble cake:

ff0ceebaf9d1548fc79cf155e695d77b.jpg

Lemon Blueberry Marble Cake

afa4785c74ab4a5d762502c05052d245.jpg

Apple Rose Tart

8a0b5d224158ef0f056d7a845bf61278.jpg

f5c14a372b1dd680e61cb8cec6a2396c.jpg

3-Ingredient Nutella Croissants

8d93bd7474f2b2fcb4e35e2bced11ce7.jpg

Reaction score
So... what about you girls? Is there something you'd really like to try this year or maybe the next? Something new and exciting? I honestly feel the next year will be about taking a lot risks and be adventurous... at least in the kitchen ;)

Reaction score
When I get another apartment, I'd like to try baking a Malaysian meat jerky that I got a recipe for on Pinterest. I also want to try using the maple bacon cake frosting that I got on sale for 25 cents on some kind of maple cake.

Reaction score
Maple bacon cake frosting?!? Can you explain that a bit further? :O I had never heard of such a thing, hehehe, I mean bacon and frosting in the same line, specially one after another :O

Reaction score
Maple bacon cake frosting?!? Can you explain that a bit furtherO I had never heard of such a thing, hehehe, I mean bacon and frosting in the same line, specially one after another :O
Pancakes with maple syrup and bacon is a pretty average breakfast in the US.
Last fall, Betty Crocker did an autumn frosting which was maple flavored frosting that included a packet of bacon bits as sprinkles. After Thanksgiving, the frosting went on sale for 25 cents each.

The maple frosting is good but the bacon bits were low quality. I'll either use the maple frosting on its own or use actual crumbled bacon on top of the cupcakes.
If you've ever had candied bacon or spilled syrup on your bacon, you know that it's a good combination.

Reaction score
Trellum, I thought you liked me:). These treats you presented none of which I might be able to make. Maybe not but still.... I was scrolling up and down, up and down like a little girl trying to decide which if any I would be willing to try. The cherry cream cheese bars look like something I might attempt and I love the apple rose tart especially for presentation purposes. There are so beautiful to look at.

Reaction score
Of course I do like you girlie! But next year I might be feeling very adventurous :p I've a thirst to try something new and exciting, as well as tasty and pretty, but to be honest there are a few things in this list that might not turn out so well the first time, lol. Like for example the blueberry marble cake! I always get so nervous when it comes to cakes! That cake looks so beautiful and delicate, not sure I can get it right the first time...

What did you think of the 3 ingredient nutella croissants, @Winterybella ? I actually though of you when I first saw the recipe, because I do know that you like to try recipes with few ingredients =D I like that too!

Reaction score
Of course I do like you girlie! But next year I might be feeling very adventurous :p I've a thirst to try something new and exciting, as well as tasty and pretty, but to be honest there are a few things in this list that might not turn out so well the first time, lol. Like for example the blueberry marble cake! I always get so nervous when it comes to cakes! That cake looks so beautiful and delicate, not sure I can get it right the first time...

What did you think of the 3 ingredient nutella croissants, @Winterybella ? I actually though of you when I first saw the recipe, because I do know that you like to try recipes with few ingredients =D I like that too!
You really have me covered there:):):) about the quick and easy few ingredients thing. When I saw the three ingredients I got excited but then when I realised the nutella was in the middle, I was not as excited. Personally, I don't have a sweet tooth and it's a shame I am borderline diabetic. Sweets never trapped me unless it was a bread of some kind. I would replace the nutella with something else. I am graduating from the three ingredients: they don't get a great crowd response.

Anyway, I want you to try those seemingly challenging recipes. I have confidence in your ability.

Reaction score
Pancakes with maple syrup and bacon is a pretty average breakfast in the US.
Last fall, Betty Crocker did an autumn frosting which was maple flavored frosting that included a packet of bacon bits as sprinkles. After Thanksgiving, the frosting went on sale for 25 cents each.

The maple frosting is good but the bacon bits were low quality. I'll either use the maple frosting on its own or use actual crumbled bacon on top of the cupcakes.
If you've ever had candied bacon or spilled syrup on your bacon, you know that it's a good combination.

Oh yeah! I actually love pancakes with bacon!!! We have that from time to time, it's delicious! Thanks for the info, it was very interesting. Now I know what you meant! I must say it is really creative, that ought to be a really interesting cake! I'd also use real bacon bits if I were to make this! That maple icing must be delicious!

Reaction score
So... what about you girls? Is there something you'd really like to try this year or maybe the next? Something new and exciting? I honestly feel the next year will be about taking a lot risks and be adventurous... at least in the kitchen ;)

Why are you waiting until next year? Do you mean for the holidays? Either way, these all look delicious. The apple rose thing is just beautiful. I like making pretty food, so I might just have to try that or something with apple roses now. They all look yummy though. Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
There are SO many things I want to make this year! But I think first and foremost is definitely pies. My mother in law makes the BEST pies I've ever had and I'm dying to learn her secret!

Though I'm afraid I won't get the dough right :/

Reaction score
Oh yeah! I actually love pancakes with bacon!!! We have that from time to time, it's delicious! Thanks for the info, it was very interesting. Now I know what you meant! I must say it is really creative, that ought to be a really interesting cake! I'd also use real bacon bits if I were to make this! That maple icing must be delicious!

Trellum, with your pictures, what's the name of the cake after the the apple rose tart? It's beautiful, brown and cream or brown and white. I looked at it over and over again but the next mentioned name is the nutella croissant. It's not on my list of priorities but I am curious.

As it relates to the whole maple bacon thing, I am staying away from that. Sounds like too much calories for the "fatty".:)

Reaction score
oh, those pictures, I'm drooling! I am not sure if I have anything in mind to do this year. I would like to find a really good gluten free cake recipe that isn't too sweet, but still has a decent texture. At the moment that is on hold because we are watching our electric bill really carefully and not doing much baking.

Reaction score
Best of luck with that! I have heard that is not an easy task! But hopefully you will find one :) As for the electric bill... I totally get you! We are also being so careful over here with the electricity, or else it might go higher this month.

Reaction score
Trellum, with your pictures, what's the name of the cake after the the apple rose tart? It's beautiful, brown and cream or brown and white. I looked at it over and over again but the next mentioned name is the nutella croissant. It's not on my list of priorities but I am curious.

As it relates to the whole maple bacon thing, I am staying away from that. Sounds like too much calories for the "fatty".:)

Hi!!! It's an ice cream sandwich cake =D Very tasty and easy to make, but I think those cookies are kinda hard to find over here. I might give it a try in the future tho, I love ice cream cakes, hehehe! Very fatty, but perfect for a special occasion ;)

Reaction score
There are SO many things I want to make this year! But I think first and foremost is definitely pies. My mother in law makes the BEST pies I've ever had and I'm dying to learn her secret!

Though I'm afraid I won't get the dough right :/

What kind of pies would you like to try? The dought for pecan and apple pies isn't that hard to make :) The crust for cheese pie is super easy too! I actually have an excellent recipe for apple or pecan pies :) I might share it over here soon. It's so simple and nice!

Reaction score
Why are you waiting until next year? Do you mean for the holidays? Either way, these all look delicious. The apple rose thing is just beautiful. I like making pretty food, so I might just have to try that or something with apple roses now. They all look yummy though. Thanks for sharing.

Oh, waiting for the next year because right now I'm trying to lose the weight I gained last year, lol. Hehehe, so I'm trying to avoid things as much as possible, only ate cake for my birthday, but that's it :p Plus, right now I have no time or someone to bake something for, but next year I'll be in a new house =D I'll someone to bake nice things for ;)

Reaction score
You really have me covered there:):):) about the quick and easy few ingredients thing. When I saw the three ingredients I got excited but then when I realised the nutella was in the middle, I was not as excited. Personally, I don't have a sweet tooth and it's a shame I am borderline diabetic. Sweets never trapped me unless it was a bread of some kind. I would replace the nutella with something else. I am graduating from the three ingredients: they don't get a great crowd response.

Anyway, I want you to try those seemingly challenging recipes. I have confidence in your ability.

Oh no! Borderline diabetic? Do you suffer from insulin resistance as well? I do, but I'd not say I'm that close to being diabetic, fortunately. I totally understand you, it's hard to deny yourself from this kind of pleasures, but it's something we gotta do. Hence I don't bake so often anymore :) And if I do it's only for special occasions. I like to use Stevia sometimes, but you know what they say about sweeteners... they're so artificial and make you crave sweets even more.

Reaction score
Actually, I don't think I put up a hard enough fight to keep the diabetes away but I worry the baking doesn't help. I just have to exercise greater self control. There is no insulin involved in my case, it's that I was warned to be careful of what I eat and exercise as mom is diabetic. It just so happens I am inconsistent with both.

Recently I started using stevia as well but I honestly find it very sweet. I don't have much cravings for sweet things but when they are around I will pick at them and picking at things can be dangerous.

Reaction score
Be careful with sweeteners, I was using Stevia and I practically had no self control! They cause cravings, very bad sugar cravings. Some months ago I started having lunch with iced tea... BIG mistake! I was addicted to sugar again, but now I am fine.... I had a chocolate overload some weeks ago, hehe. I still like sweets, but at least the rest of the week I don't touch them.

I thought you already had insulin resistance issues :O Well, that is great news, because then you are still pretty much on time to keeping diabetes at bay :)

By the way, my insulin resistance is one of the reasons I no longer bake so often :p Buuut.... it's all good because baking so often wasn't good for my waist, lol.

Ask a Question