son's Birthday cake advice....

Reaction score
Hope someone can help.

Ok here goes - I'm attempting to make a spider-man face cake for my 4yr old birthday.

I haven't really worked with fondant icing much so not completely confident.

party is on Sunday, so was going to make fondant on fri evening and let sit all night, then make cake on sat and decorate.

My question is, should I put sugar syrup on the cake to keep fresh and moist for sunday? Or will it be ok covered in fondant icing and buttercream?

Thanks

Laura

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Laura :)

If you're making the cake on Saturday and covering it with fondant, it should be absolutely fine on the Sunday. If you're not familiar with fondant it might be a good idea to buy it ready made, just in case!

Reaction score
@ChesterV, where are you? This is my way of saying come over here and help @Laura out. Of course @Becky helped out but me, I am came excited thinking it was advice on what kind of cake to make. I would have been able to make a meaningful contribution about that but not now. I have never worked with fondant and likely won't in any hurry. Welcome @Laura!

Reaction score
I agree with Becky.

I assume you are trying to make this
1270523_orig.jpg

Or this
Spiderman+face+2D.JPG

If that is the case, I would make the cake, put the cake together, and seal it up with buttercream.
Then I would stick it in the freezer for an hour. Then I would take it out and cover it with plastic wrap, right on the buttercream.

When time comes to cover it in fondant, just take it out of the freezer, remove the plastic, and start putting fondant.

"Sealing" a cake means you are putting enough frosting on the cake to make it nice and smooth.
Then you are lightly scraping it off until you get down to the cake. This way, the frosting has filled in all the holes, cracks, and whatever on the cake....so you have a nice, flat finish to lay out your fondant on.

Some people do like a layer of frosting under the fondant, as they like buttercream but hate fondant. So they can peel the fondant off and still have some frosting on the cake.

Also, it's much easier to work with a frozen cake. (trick of the trade)

Here are some other Spiderman fondant ideas.....
sp4.jpg

d23f6a840fbb033263c828cfad1b0f6c.jpg

spp1.jpg

spiderman-bust.jpg

Reaction score
Some of those Spiderman pictures were pretty elaborate with the fondant. I would suggest going for the simple face cake since this is your first time working with fondant and you would sincerely like your son to recognize who Spiderman is. We are usually not born with natural cake decorating talents. It takes practice. Start simple so that you do not become discouraged and tackle harder things as you get more familiar with decorating techniques.

Ask a Question