Sour Dough bread

Reaction score
I have some sour dough starter then I normally use for sour dough pancakes. Tomorrow I am going to try making sour dough bread for the first time. I love the slightly sour taste the bread has. My daughter bakes it and occasionally brings me a loaf. I like it so much that I finally decided to try making myself.

Reaction score
I have some sour dough starter then I normally use for sour dough pancakes. Tomorrow I am going to try making sour dough bread for the first time. I love the slightly sour taste the bread has. My daughter bakes it and occasionally brings me a loaf. I like it so much that I finally decided to try making myself.

I love sourdough bread! The flavor can't be beaten, and it's so much more digestible than regular bread.

We've exchanged messages on sourdough starters before, and I am trying again with a new starter which is looking good at the moment. :) Also, I've managed to get a small local bakery to give me little of their starter, which I'm hoping I can keep alive this time!

Let me know how your bread turns out.

Reaction score
My starter that I am using now came from my daughter, the baker. She got it from her paternal grandmother who got it from who knows where. From what I understand,though, the original starter is over 100 yrs old. It does make the best sourdough pancakes and waffles.

Reaction score
That sounds like one excellent starter you have, evelynmcgregor! I've heard about these really old starters, and how great they are - I'll be happy when I can get one going that lives for more than a few weeks!!

I have a couple on the go right now though; one I started myself from yet another bread baking book, and the one I got from local bakery.

Wish me luck! ;)

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever made a starter ontherir own.? How long did it take you to get to the point where it was ready to bake with? Are starters hard to keep alive. Thisis something I want to try but I don't want to mess it up.

Reaction score
I have made sour dough starter on my own simply by using a recipe for it online. It was about 2 days before I could actually use it. You just have to remember to feed it and then save enough out for the next time you want to use it. You have to plan in advance and feed the start the day before and let it sit over night. It is not hard to keep alive, most say to use it at least once a week, but I have let it sit in the refrigerator at least a month between times I used it. There are a lot of good recipes online that use sour dough starter.

Reaction score
My sourdough starter is still going strong! I've had a few failed attempts at getting a starter going in the past, but I was lucky enough to get it to work a couple of months ago, and I've been making bread 3-4 times a week now with the same starter.

Did you manage to get a starter going, NThomas?

Attachments

• sdoughbread.jpg
    sdoughbread.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 405

Ask a Question