Squash cake anyone?

Reaction score
Anyone on board for some squash cake? I have a friend who considers himself quite good in the baking department. Recently he told me he made a squash cake. I've done a lot of things with squash, but never a cake. Has anyone tried it before. If so please share. I checked a few recipes online but would be happy to hear if any of you have tried it or likely would.

Reaction score
I have heard about squash bread, and have even tasted it, quite delicious if done right, but to be honest I have never tried to make it myself. I do like salty breads, but so far 've only focused on corn, I think I saw a wonderful recipe with a bit of squash in it, it was a salty bread me and my sister tried. Wasn't all squash tho, we have never made a squash cake.

Reaction score
I have heard about squash bread, and have even tasted it, quite delicious if done right, but to be honest I have never tried to make it myself. I do like salty breads, but so far 've only focused on corn, I think I saw a wonderful recipe with a bit of squash in it, it was a salty bread me and my sister tried. Wasn't all squash tho, we have never made a squash cake.

I am planning it for the this weekend. I don't know if my plans will go well as I have a full weekend. I just hope it goes well. I always get a little nervous when I am trying anything new.

Reaction score
Provided he is talking about the pumpkin squash concept and not the sweet sticky orange syrup squash concept, yes it sounds great. I would love to try one. I imagine it would be very moist and soft, but I could be wrong. I guess it depends on which squash is used. Straight pumpkin, butternut squash, acorn squash?

Reaction score
It sounds wonderful to me. I love anything pumpkin, and pumpkin is a type of squash. I also love pretty much every squash on the planet, so there is no reason why I would not also like a squash cake.

Reaction score
I am planning it for the this weekend. I don't know if my plans will go well as I have a full weekend. I just hope it goes well. I always get a little nervous when I am trying anything new.

How did it go? Did you try it in the end or not? :) Sad the weekened you were talking about is already gone, but a new one is getting really close ;) Maybe if you haven't tried it yet... you can try it this weekend?

Reaction score
How did it go? Did you try it in the end or not? :) Sad the weekened you were talking about is already gone, but a new one is getting really close ;) Maybe if you haven't tried it yet... you can try it this weekend?

Trellum,, I did not make it after all. I don't even want to say I am going to try this weekend. I am feeling a little under the weather. I did cook the squash but ended up using it in a squash pie. Instead of the squash I did some cookies that I ended up mostly feeding the dogs as I tried to get all the chocolate chips out. i started a thread about that sour cream chocolate cookie that left a sour taste in my mouth but I still recommend it for people who know their baking. I just had a bad day with baking
Provided he is talking about the pumpkin squash concept and not the sweet sticky orange syrup squash concept, yes it sounds great. I would love to try one. I imagine it would be very moist and soft, but I could be wrong. I guess it depends on which squash is used. Straight pumpkin, butternut squash, acorn squash?

He said he grated the squash. I cooked mine and was going to mash it.

Reaction score
Trellum,, I did not make it after all. I don't even want to say I am going to try this weekend. I am feeling a little under the weather. I did cook the squash but ended up using it in a squash pie. Instead of the squash I did some cookies that I ended up mostly feeding the dogs as I tried to get all the chocolate chips out. i started a thread about that sour cream chocolate cookie that left a sour taste in my mouth but I still recommend it for people who know their baking. I just had a bad day with baking

Sour cream chocolate chips cookies? Hehehe, sounds a bit daring! Sorry to hear all that :( I know how you feel, sometimes things just don't go according to plan, even with baking! I haven't had one of those bad days baking in a while, because well, I haven't been seriously baking for a while. But when you start getting more seriousv about baking you make mistakes ;) I will too once I start baking other things that are not pies, hehehe!

Reaction score
Sour cream chocolate chips cookies? Hehehe, sounds a bit daring! Sorry to hear all that :( I know how you feel, sometimes things just don't go according to plan, even with baking! I haven't had one of those bad days baking in a while, because well, I haven't been seriously baking for a while. But when you start getting more seriousv about baking you make mistakes ;) I will too once I start baking other things that are not pies, hehehe!

I think in my case I get a little mad at myself for what often appears to be a silly mistake. I am thinking it's definitely that spoonfuls of dough were too big and then I used one pan when I should have used two. What's worse is when I make something and it ends up being given to the dogs or thrown out. The taste of the cookie was fine but I should have cared for them as I would have cared for any other recipe. I turned my back on them once they did not come out the way I wanted and ended up wasting ingredients which is never a good thing. Chocolate chips and those types of things are so expensive here. Anyway, I will try this squash cake but naturally I am an a little apprehensive. I will let you know when I make the next plunge.

Reaction score
I think in my case I get a little mad at myself for what often appears to be a silly mistake. I am thinking it's definitely that spoonfuls of dough were too big and then I used one pan when I should have used two. What's worse is when I make something and it ends up being given to the dogs or thrown out. The taste of the cookie was fine but I should have cared for them as I would have cared for any other recipe. I turned my back on them once they did not come out the way I wanted and ended up wasting ingredients which is never a good thing. Chocolate chips and those types of things are so expensive here. Anyway, I will try this squash cake but naturally I am an a little apprehensive. I will let you know when I make the next plunge.

Oh Anne :( I get you, chocolate chips is expensive in my country as well, actually almost everything used for baking is expensive there, so I felt so bad for wasting ingredients as well! For europeans it's different though, in places like the Netherlands you can find super cheap baking supplies at stores like the action. I have found a lot cheap stuff there, incluiding baking supplies.

Reaction score
I have not been doing the major shopping in a bit but the other day my husband had a commitment and I went to the Supermarket. I stayed so long they had to call to check on me. I was taking up and putting back so many things. The prices are crazy. When I used to travel like every two or three months for my business, I would pack barrels of food would be expensive at home. Since I don't travel often anymore, I am forced to buy everything from here.

Fortunately my mom still plants some vegetables in the land and often I get gifts of vegetables or fruits from friends so that helps. The squash came from a friend of my husband's and I still have about three squash left to use. I am hoping I get to bake the cake still.

Reaction score
Interesting! How far did you have to travel for business before? I ask because the prices of food did also vary in my mother country, they tended to be lower far in the south, but we'd need to drive for maaaaaaany hours to get where the cheap stuff were. All the veggies and fruits over there are so cheap, but far in the north so expensive. Here in Europe everything if I compare it to my home country tho... but stores like the action do help a lot!

Reaction score
LA is the farthest I have gone. However most of my traveling was to Miami. Naturally no fresh fruit in the food barrel although I heard a joke about people putting things in barrels that could spoil. There was a time when many locals traveled just to pack barrels of food but overtime I guess they realised it did not make good sense. The duties and freight did not always make it worth it. In my case I had to travel anyway, so picking up things that were very expensive home made sense. Virgin Olive Oil was one such thing. It's very expensive here.

The I used to like to pick up the cherries with the stem. They are soooooooo expensive at home.

Reaction score
Ah!!! Yeah, I bet you bought a mostly processed foods then? In my home country olive oil is also expensive! Lately prices are crazy in my city, even the most basic things. When I was little eating fruits and veggies wasn't such a luxury, but now it apparently is. Funny, in most ads they used to say things like ''eat fruits and veggies'', now they replaced that with ''exercise at least 30 minutes daily''. Yup, that can be afforded by everyone. But in the Netheralnds is also expensive, food is not the most expensive thing of all tho... is the damn taxes.

Reaction score
This is something interesting using a squash for making a cake. The fact that it will turn out to be a healthy kind of cake that is ideal especially for the kids who do not eat squash. Maybe with the right ingredients and consistency and technique of baking this kind of cake will turn out to be delicious to everybody. I do hope also if someone can share their own tested recipe here..:)

Reaction score
This is something interesting using a squash for making a cake. The fact that it will turn out to be a healthy kind of cake that is ideal especially for the kids who do not eat squash. Maybe with the right ingredients and consistency and technique of baking this kind of cake will turn out to be delicious to everybody. I do hope also if someone can share their own tested recipe here..:)

I hope to be the tested and proven person. I am watching the squash disappear, but I promise I will try it. I usually don't like to introduce things I have not tried but I felt I was going to try this weeks ago. Have no fear, the results will soon be here.

Ask a Question