Sugar...

Reaction score
I've been trying to keep my sugar intake minimal for years. There have been lengthy amounts of time where I gave up and ate whatever though, but I keep trying again and when I do, I pretty much don't bake anything.

I do allow myself to eat honey if I can afford to buy it. I've been thinking about ways to bake with using only honey or perhaps bananas if they are flavor compatible as the sweetener. Anyone tried this?

Reaction score
I do use very ripe bananas in simple recipes (like banana oat cookies and, of course, banana bread and muffins).
I also use date paste to sweeten the treats I make for my paleo friends. I make date paste by soaking the dates in a bit of boiling water to soften and then I puree them into a paste. The dates lend a delicious caramel flavor which compliments most of what I bake.

Reaction score
I do like sugar, but in baking I try to limit because if there is a topping then the sugar content would sky rocket. I try to use a filling instead and a sprinkling of sugar and adapt the recipe and add a smaller quantity of sugar than listed in the recipe. I also use lemon to flavor to add sweetness instead.

Reaction score
I haven't tried that, but it is an interesting concept. I'm all for cutting back/limiting sugar intake, I've had a few stints of trying it out myself, but I don't know about limiting sugar THAT much. I think that could present a big challenge for baking, but that's ambitious of you...if you give it a try, it'd be awesome to hear some of the recipes you try and your success with them.

Reaction score
Limiting sugar is very hard to do in my house as we all love it so very much. I don't cut back much in my baking, but I do try to limit it in other ways...keeping out of my coffee and cereal for example

Reaction score
I worry a little about baking because of the sugar issue. My mom is diabetic and and I not too far behind so I get concern about getting too heavily into baking.

I am happy to see the suggestions of banana and honey. The way I try to deal with the overall sugar issue is to get the cake out of the house as soon as possible. That way the temptation to dig in won't be there as the cake won't be there.;)

Ask a Question