Tea parties!

Reaction score
My nieces are fond of hanging out with me because it usually means we get to do one awesome thing:
Throw a tea party!

This is a very long process but they're able to help with all of it. One is 5, one is 3. So if these two can help me, I'm sure your little kids can do something similar with you!

So here's what we do:
- Set the table with tea cups/saucers (plastic ones are best but if they're gentle, regular ones are okay)
- Bake brownies (they can fill measuring cups with some help - box mix is best for this)
- Make ice tea (those who don't like ice tea can have milk, juice or water!)
- Make "finger sandwiches" (obviously the adult cuts these but spoons can be used to spread pb, jelly, etc.)

Then we eat the sandwiches with "tea", chat, and have the brownies for dessert! It takes about two hours (including prep and tea time.)

Reaction score
Do you dress up for the occasion? My mother had a selection of costumes and vintage clothing to choose from.

Reaction score
Admittedly, the girls do tend to put on costume jewelry and fancy hats. I'm not quite feminine enough to want to wear dresses or furs. ;) But sometimes we will paint each other's fingernails after the tea party while we wind down from the food and sugar!

Reaction score
My nieces are fond of hanging out with me because it usually means we get to do one awesome thing:
Throw a tea party!

This is a very long process but they're able to help with all of it. One is 5, one is 3. So if these two can help me, I'm sure your little kids can do something similar with you!

So here's what we do:
- Set the table with tea cups/saucers (plastic ones are best but if they're gentle, regular ones are okay)
- Bake brownies (they can fill measuring cups with some help - box mix is best for this)
- Make ice tea (those who don't like ice tea can have milk, juice or water!)
- Make "finger sandwiches" (obviously the adult cuts these but spoons can be used to spread pb, jelly, etc.)

Then we eat the sandwiches with "tea", chat, and have the brownies for dessert! It takes about two hours (including prep and tea time.)

What a delightful idea! They will never forget those times with you! If either of my children were still young enough, I would try this. I will note this down for when or if any grandchildren arrive! I think even boys would love this. My daughter used to pretend to run a tea shop, and had wonderful fun with that idea too!

Reaction score
That is adorable. My daughter is too old for tea parties but I love the idea. Like passingcat, I'll mentally file the idea away in case I have grandkids someday.
Doing activities like this with kids can make their childhood magical.

Reaction score
Tea parties are amazing. I used to have them. You should try to slowly incorporate different and more unique food into it. Maybe even have cookie cutters for them. You're NEVER too old for a tea party. Just make it a bit more mature as you and your children get older.

Reaction score
Tea parties are amazing. I used to have them. You should try to slowly incorporate different and more unique food into it. Maybe even have cookie cutters for them. You're NEVER too old for a tea party. Just make it a bit more mature as you and your children get older.

Tea parties are every child's favourite! I used to find that even male friends of my children could not help but join in. Like you say, even adults love to indulge in a tea party, later on in life. It is so fun and relaxing and suits every age group!

Reaction score
There is a woman at a local organization I used to belong to who threw a yearly tea pary. She would have formal tea sitting with all the fixing. Her place was not huge so seating was limited if you wanted to go you had to resever a spot . Everyone was competing to get a spot at the table. Tea parties are not just for little girls.

Reaction score
I have never threw a tea parties with my children however i think it's an idea i could share with them but i do remember attending a few tea parties at my high school...such events were very special to me as i got the chance to dress formal , let my hair down and have a blast with my friends...those were definitely the good old days.

Ask a Question