Vegemite Scrolls

Reaction score
With an Australian background, I love vegemite - and I love these savory scrolls! They sell them at bakeries in Australia but not living there anymore I have to make my own. Here's a recipe:

http://australian.food.com/recipe/cheese-and-vegemite-scrolls-230926

I know a lot of people dislike Vegemite but in these cheesy scrolls it's delicious and gives the perfect savory pop to the bread!

If you're a Marmite fan over Vegemite that will work perfectly too!

Reaction score
I am sorry, but what is Vegemite? and marmite? This is the very first time i hear about those two! It seems everyday there is something new to learn.

Reaction score
I am sorry, but what is Vegemite? and marmite? This is the very first time i hear about those two! It seems everyday there is something new to learn.

Vegemite is a very famous Australian spread that most people put on bread or toast! It's vegetable based and very salty - a lot of people only like it if they have grown up with it! A bit of an acquired taste I think!

Reaction score
Vegemite is a very famous Australian spread that most people put on bread or toast! It's vegetable based and very salty - a lot of people only like it if they have grown up with it! A bit of an acquired taste I think!

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!! I see! Thanks a lot for the explnation, I was thinking it was some kind of weird algae or something like that. As for acquired taste... I have always thought that if it wasn't because I grew up eating ''callo de cadiz'' I'd not dare to try them now.

Reaction score
I have heard a lot about Vegemite over the years from surfing the web, but to date have never seen it in a store. If I ever visit a British or Ausie shop I'll be sure to get some for curiosity sake if nothing else.

Reaction score
I'm a Marmite baby! It's a yeast extract spread that you use on toast or as a stock in soups, stews and savory dishes. You can also it for baking and I used to marmite muffins.

It is an acquired taste, and is great as it is suitable for vegetarians. Cheese and marmite go hand in hand and I can imagine these baked scrolls as a good combination or good in a savory pie too.

Ask a Question