What are the must have utensils and ingredients for pastry making.

Reaction score
I have never done any pastry from scratch. The closest I have come to that is making the crust for pizza several years ago. With anything that goes on in the kitchen there are some basics that must be adhered to.

If I decided I wanted to prepare some simple pastry recipes what must I have in terms of equipment and ingredients?

Reaction score
Definitely a roller, I can do fine without most appliances, yes, even without a mixer, but could never make it without a roller. The roller is something you will definitely need, I use it for quiches, pie crusts (apple, pecan pies crusts) and empanadas. A mixer is always nice, but not entirely necessary.

Reaction score
I have a mixer. Two actually. There is this one speed one I picked up many years ago.The other I use with my other cakes (box mostly). I can't remember if I have a roller. Was looking through some utensils and don't remember seeing it . I would really feel like I did something special if I actually did a pastry from scratch. Even more accomplished than making a cake.

It's something I always silently wanted to do. When I was a small child I remember my mom rolling stuff with a bottle.:) Not sure if she was being creative because I always remember her having a roller as well. Unlike her daughter she is quite good with the baking even in her old age.

Reaction score
Awesome :) So you can ask for advice to he if needed! I personally dislike rolling stuff, but I once tried making my own Phyllo dough... not an easy task! You can make your own pastries at home, but it's really worth it. Specially with this economy! Making that kind of pastry isn't that hard, all you need is roll and roll.... You need a lot patience :)

Reaction score
Awesome :) So you can ask for advice to he if needed! I personally dislike rolling stuff, but I once tried making my own Phyllo dough... not an easy task! You can make your own pastries at home, but it's really worth it. Specially with this economy! Making that kind of pastry isn't that hard, all you need is roll and roll.... You need a lot patience :)

:) If I am being honest , I have to admit that the effort required for pastries and baking from scratch must have been why I have stayed away from both for so long. I am to be renamed "quick fix" as I am always looking for an easy in and out of the kitchen especially on week days. I am seriously lacking in the patience department when it comes to most things in the kitchen. That's probably one of reasons I mostly like to work alone.

I am more patient with people and that's people outside of the kitchen.;) People in forums and the like.;)

Reaction score
Yeah, it can really be a hassle, but that's why when I decide to try this I never ever choose a week day. I really like to do this when I'm totally free, so I can relax while doing this. It can be fun once you gain experience and practice :)

Reaction score
Trellum, I am sure it can be lots of fun and when I am in my element in the kitchen there is no stopping me. I would like to take a weekday off from work and dedicate it to baking and pastries but I can't just yet. Every thing in time.

Reaction score
I just got my very first handheld pastry blender, one of those hand tools you use for cutting in butter with. I am going to try it next week when I make pies for Thanksgiving.

Reaction score
One advice I give is to have a lot of plastic wrap. I wrap my countertops with plastic wrap so it makes cleaning up easy afterwards. Also parchment paper for rolling. You can sandwich the pastry dough between two pieces of parchment paper and roll it to prevent sticking to the roller and counter.

Reaction score
That is a great idea Chefjon, I never thought of rolling dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper. I will be making pies next week, so I am going to give it a try. I just got a new rolling pin too so I am excited to get started.

Reaction score
What about bread cutters for separating and picking up dough? It seems very useful for splitting dough effortlessly without any of the stickiness.

I also wondered about pies. I once saw some sort of tool that looked like two blunt blades held together, and how they would be necessary to get the right kind of crust. I never really gave it a second thought back then, because I used corn flakes and a rolling pin, or some ready made pie crusts, but now I'm in Germany and I wanted to make sugar pies, meat pies, and cheese cake with a pie crust, and they don't sell ready made pie crust so I guess I have to learn to make my own. That means, I now must figure out: is this two blunt blades thing a must and do you guys even know what I'm talking about? :S

Reaction score
Definitely a roller, I can do fine without most appliances, yes, even without a mixer, but could never make it without a roller. The roller is something you will definitely need, I use it for quiches, pie crusts (apple, pecan pies crusts) and empanadas. A mixer is always nice, but not entirely necessary.

I've used wine bottles a lot for lack of a roller.
And I've used a fork where others have used mixers. But for making whipped cream or beating eggs into snow, this just does not cut it!

Reaction score
One advice I give is to have a lot of plastic wrap. I wrap my countertops with plastic wrap so it makes cleaning up easy afterwards. Also parchment paper for rolling. You can sandwich the pastry dough between two pieces of parchment paper and roll it to prevent sticking to the roller and counter.
I feel so stupid. I almost bought a silicone rolling mat a few months ago because I forgot that you can roll dough out on parchment. The kitchen supplies industry must make a lot of money off fools like me.

Reaction score
I've used wine bottles a lot for lack of a roller.
And I've used a fork where others have used mixers. But for making whipped cream or beating eggs into snow, this just does not cut it!

Lol, yeah, I hear ya! One needs to have a very gifted hand for managing to beat eggs into snow... hehehe! I have tried many times and have failed miserably :p Bohooo! I really wonder how other women can do it? As for the rollers, I have used glasses :O Sometimes we just have to use what we have in hand ;)

Reaction score
Trellum, I am sure it can be lots of fun and when I am in my element in the kitchen there is no stopping me. I would like to take a weekday off from work and dedicate it to baking and pastries but I can't just yet. Every thing in time.

Hehehe, talking about taking time to bake pastries... I don't think I will be doing that anytime soon. I have gained a couple of pounds :( Feeling too guilty to bake ;) Hehehe, ah... why do the most delicious things make us gain weight? Ah, no pastries for this girl for a while ;) I hope you can find some time to bake as many pastries as you want soon :D It's a lot of fun! Specially if you have little ones ;)

Reaction score
Hehehe, talking about taking time to bake pastries... I don't think I will be doing that anytime soon. I have gained a couple of pounds :( Feeling too guilty to bake ;) Hehehe, ah... why do the most delicious things make us gain weight? Ah, no pastries for this girl for a while ;) I hope you can find some time to bake as many pastries as you want soon :D It's a lot of fun! Specially if you have little ones ;)

Well it's 28th and still no pastries. And truth be told I had a bank holiday and none of my big plans came to fruition. I am concern about the weight thing as I lost my jockey weight about 25 years ago. All these pastries won't help me get back thcaere.

Still, I'll like to make some just so I can say I am capable. I am hoping for some major medal when I get cakes and pastries perfected from scratch.;)

Reaction score
I'm sure you will =D I know the feeling, I hate the fact I can't eat everything I want more often, because I need to drop a few extra pounds, hehehe! But you know what I do? I take one day off from my strict diet plan, yes, one day only and so far so good. You should try it! My day off is Saturday =D

Reaction score
I meant get back there."thcaere" was a mistake like some of my baking:D. Back on topic. Only recently I was going through some kitchen drawers and came upon my wooden rolling pin. The first thing that came to me is that I need to find a way to use this even if it's just to say I did. Maybe the pastries are not far off. Kudos for taking care of yourself. When it comes to having a day off I can't comment. My eating patterns are horrible:(. Sometimes I feel like I should be "beaten" with some of the same utensils.

Ask a Question