What do you do when people don't want to eat what you have made?

Reaction score
This has only happened with my brother, once I made a cake and I was too impatient and it sank. It was his birthday cake so I baked another, but still didn't want to waste the other cake so made him eat some of it.

Another time I made a Toad in the hole and again, the batter hadn't quite risen ( impatience again!) and he said, "Do I have to eat that?" to which I replied," It's food." Then he said it tasted better than it looked, I was relieved, so it's worth eating still or trying!

Reaction score
I've never really had that happen for the most part...sometimes when my son was younger he'd turn his nose up at things, but he'd inevitably get curious with everyone else really enjoying it and give it a try, and 90% of the time he'd end up loving it as well.

Reaction score
Being single, I've not really had that problem. If I was a parent of was babysitting, I would just explain to the children that this is what will be served for this meal, their options are to eat it, or not, but there is not going to be an alternative offered for this meal. That's what my mom did when I and my sister were little and didn't want to try something new.

Reaction score
I NEVER push people to eat what I bake, because there could be many reasons for their refusal. I usually say, "You are welcome to take some home if you think you might want it later."
I am very particular about what I put in my body so I totally understand why people will and won't eat certain things. There is nothing worse than having a cook or hostess try to force food on me or try to guilt me into eating something.

Reaction score
I can understand people not wanting to be forced to eat anything but what does annoy me is when people are not willing to try something at least once.

I hosted a dinner party few months ago and made kits of nice food my uncle ate everything but didn't touch the raspberry tart. He asked me if there was cheese in it i said no not at all he still didn't even taste a tiny morsel. The tart was a hit it was all gone but I feel he missed out.

Reaction score
I just say OK, and let it go. my husband is a diabetic so 90% of the time he will turn down sweets and high carbohydrate foods. Because I have seen how people react when he politely declines, I would never push the issue.

Reaction score
I just say OK, and let it go. my husband is a diabetic so 90% of the time he will turn down sweets and high carbohydrate foods. Because I have seen how people react when he politely declines, I would never push the issue.
That is so unkind, people should never be offended when someone is making a dietary choice for the sake of their health. Even if someone declines just because they are choosing to limit their sugar or refined carb intake, that is their business and their choice should be respected. I know I have declined desserts at times if I felt like I had had enough sugar. Where I live health conscious diets are pretty common though, so I think people are a little more used to that.

Reaction score
I don't force anyone to eat what I make, especially if it turns out wrong. I'll eat it myself later or stick it in the freezer. Sometimes recipes turn out badly and people have a right not to eat a sunken cake or other baking mishap.

Reaction score
I can't say i've had such an experience as i always try as best as possible to prepare meals that my children and hubby enjoys...vegetable soup ids one of my favorite meal and i know they're not a big fan of it so whenever it's made there is always an option for them to have something different.

Reaction score
If people don't eat what I make, something must be wrong with them not my work;). I am only kidding. I honestly can't say I have had this experience.I am fortunate to be surrounded by hungry:), happy people who will devour everything I make good or bad.

On the odd occasion I have had guest with special diets and I prepared stuff specially for them.

Reaction score
This has happened to me a couple of times and I just don't push the issue. If they want it I am happy, and if not, it is just more for me. Some people just don't like some baked goods.

Reaction score
I have the pickiest of the pickiest when it comes to my children. My son won't eat anything that doesn't look and/or smell good to him. He turns alot of food away because he doesn't want it for either 1-2 reasons above. I get hateful remarks but I refuse to force a cake down my sons throat that he doesn't want.

Reaction score
I think when I answered this question I was thinking of my general cooking and not baking specifically. My son is my biggest concern here. He loves what he loves and when it's not up to his standards or what he wants sometimes he won't even taste it. This particularly true of BAKING goods. I am not happy when my work is not appreciated.

Reaction score
Maybe if that will happen to me when people don't want to eat what I cook or bake then I will not force them to eat and I will not get angry because in the first place it is not their fault and it's my failure for not doing the right thing for my cooking or baking.

Reaction score
ReadmeByAmy, you are wonderful. I honestly can't see myself saying it's my failure for not doing the right thing. I have to tell you even when I fail, I like to get a word of encouragement from the guys here. I can get a little upset if my efforts are not appreciated.

At the end of the day I still won't force anyone to do anything in connection with my baking.

Reaction score
This is not related to baking but I have had people turn up their noses at some of the ethnic dishes I make. I enjoy trying new and different recipes from all areas of the world and when I have a dinner party or a special occasion I try to choose a theme or type of food for it that is unique. Sometimes, well actually most of the time, people would rather just have what they are familiar with and know they enjoy. It's ok with me, I try to watch who doesn't try it at all and make some type of American dish that they are comfortable with the next time. I can always mix and match if needed but I'd prefer to make a it a culinary event when I can. Children can be especially picky so I always have appetizers that they can use as a dinner item if needed.

Reaction score
The only time this has happened to me is when I was with one particular person. He was very fussy, and of course, no one cooked as well as his mother did. I find the attitude very rude, personally. I limited what I cooked when we were together, and when I cooked things outside of what he'd eat, i'd bring them to the office, and they would promptly disappear.

Even if someone cooked something I didn't particularly care for, I would still eat a little of it. If there was an obvious problem, such as they used salt in the place of sugar, I'd tell them, but otherwise, I'd appreciate the effort they'd put forth.

Reaction score
Most people eat what I make. Usually there is nothing left of it.

Once in a while I have made something no one touches. And I just never make it again.

Reaction score
I usually find that when it comes to baked goods, most people will try it if it's something sweet. I've had times where I have been embarrassed to serve up cake or cupcakes that I've made because they didn't meet my fussy standards of perfection, but most of the time I would say people don't even mind! They're like "free food!!!" and love it!

Ask a Question