What do you grease the pan with?

Reaction score
Personally, I love using the butter wrapper from the butter I likely just put into the cookies. It adds a nice little brown crisp to the bottom of most cookies.

What do you use? Cooking spray? Margarine? Something else?

Reaction score
Lately I've been using parchment paper occasionally; I like how the bottoms come out even.

Reaction score
I normaly use non stick cooking spray.Lately I have been brushing bacon dripping on to the pan for my savory bakes. this makes for an extra bit a flavor.

Reaction score
Depending on how much butter/fat is in the item I am cooking, sometimes none at all - such as the case with cookies. Because that bit of tension from the pan helps the cookie retain it's shape, whereas if I would have greased the pan, they would have spread out more.

For stuff like breads, I prefer Baker's Joy since it works well and is more convenient than trying to grease and flour the pan myself.

Reaction score
It depends a lot on what I am making. I use the paper from the butter when I'm making chocolate chip cookies. I use silpat sheets a lot, but if I need oil I usually use olive oil or avocado oil.

I got away from canola oil when I found out most of the rapeseed oil they use to make it is GMO. :mad:

Reaction score
I really depends on what kind of cookie I'm making. If it's a chocolate chip cookie, I don't butter the tray. Other types, like sugar cookies, I very very lightly grease it with canola spray oil. Though, I recently started to use olive spray oil, but I don't really like it as much as the canola. It's too heavy.

Reaction score
I use olive oil cooking spray. Cooking spray coats the pan nicely and I don't have to worry about the mess that is created when you wipe down a pan with a paper towel loaded with butter or something like that.

Reaction score
I use real butter to grease pans. I hate the way Pam smells ,so I don't use it anymore. In a pinch, I have used butter flavored Crisco to grease a pan if that was all I had handy.

Reaction score
I agree that PAM smells nasty, can't abide the stuff. I avoid other sprays for similar reasons, they contain propellants, artificial sounding additives, and other stuff I don't really want in my food.

What I use depends on what I'm cooking. Butter for sweets, usually. Bacon grease now and them for savory biscuits and the like. Olive oil for most everything else. I have been thinking about getting one of those olive oil sprayer bottles, but using a brush isn't particularly onerous so I haven't gotten around yet.

Reaction score
I really do dislike sprays.. not fond of chemicals. I do have a mister but it really doesn't spray as nice as I'd like, so I take them time to brush on oil or butter a pan, but if I'm making quick bread, I always dust the pans with sugar, not flour, and if it's bread or pizza, it gets a dusting of cornmeal.

Reaction score
It depends on what I'm doing. If it's on a cookie sheet I use parchment paper. Anything else I use cooking spray.

Dusting with sugar is a wonderful idea. I may just have to try that.

Reaction score
I really do dislike sprays.. not fond of chemicals. I do have a mister but it really doesn't spray as nice as I'd like, so I take them time to brush on oil or butter a pan, but if I'm making quick bread, I always dust the pans with sugar, not flour, and if it's bread or pizza, it gets a dusting of cornmeal.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I haven't gotten a mister yet... lots of the reviews suggest they don't work quite as well as advertised.

Dusting with cornmeal is a great idea, though, gonna remember that.

Reaction score
I too use the butter wrapper. I like experimenting but never though of cooking oil. Will try it next time. Hope it comes out good. Also, dusting with cornmeal seems interesting.

Reaction score
I either use real butter or pam- I agree that it doesn't smell the best but it doesn't really affect the taste much. I might try olive oil for non-sweets recipes, though.

Reaction score
I normally use butter. I've also tried olive oil once, but I don't really like how greasy it makes everything. Or maybe I'm just really good at making a mess?

Ask a Question