What is the first item a child should bake?

Reaction score
My children have always baked cornbread first. Then it was store bought cookies and cakes. I have one more child left to hit that mark, so should I start her off in the same direction?

Reaction score
I have no children on my own, but I have two godchildren to whom I was supervising to bake cup cakes.

I thought this was safer for them than baking cookies as the temptation to pick some while still hot could cause a little accident.

However I guess is all about how old children are to start baking.

Reaction score
I have no children on my own, but I have two godchildren to whom I was supervising to bake cup cakes.

I thought this was safer for them than baking cookies as the temptation to pick some while still hot could cause a little accident.

However I guess is all about how old children are to start baking.
I remember being young and making cookies. My mom went to the bathroom and I smelled the cookies burning, so I took them out by myself. Well I didn't have the pot holder all the way on the bottom of the pan and burned my knuckles. It hurt so bad that I would fear when teaching my kids to bake. I got them full hand style pot holders, LOL.

Reaction score
I think you can teach them to "bake" just about anything as long as you properly choose what they can help with and supervise them as to any hazards. Teaching them to wait till things cool is a good lesson for adults and children. So bottom line, I think the subject doesn't matter as much as how you can make it safe and enjoyable.

Reaction score
My kids have been baking with me from the get go, just like me with my family. They always enjoyed holding the blender in the bowl (and licking it afterwards, of course) and cracking the eggs (obviously went through more eggs than called for, but it was their favourite part.. worth it). Cookies, cakes, brownies.. doesn't matter.. there's always a job for little hands :)

Reaction score
Cookies are low work, high reward, quick and customizable. I'd start there.

Reaction score
My children have always baked cornbread first. Then it was store bought cookies and cakes. I have one more child left to hit that mark, so should I start her off in the same direction?
I would say something sweet would be the typical. I already have my toddler son up on a chair with me while I make dinners and I have him put my cut veggies (like potatoes) into the pot after I cut them. He loves it and I have him occupied while I'm cooking!

Reaction score
You mean actually doing almost the whole process on their own including the oven?

Hmm... I remember when I was young I think I was able/allowed to make cupcakes. It was a bit easier to measure out portions since we had a spoon or a small ice cream scoop. They were easy to remove from the pan as well. But I always had my mom's supervision for the first few times, of course.

Reaction score
I think children would enjoy making plain sugar cookies! If you have various colored icings and sprinkles not only would they have a blast baking the cookies but being able to decorate them would be good as well. Anything with kids should be fun! Keeps them entertained without the use of the TV!

Reaction score
I think cookies are the best food to teach children to bake first. They are easy and simple to do.

Another way to is through the use of the Easy Bake Oven. This toy is child-friendly and fun to use. They have them for boys now as well. Check it out . . .

Easy-Bake-Oven2-660x487.jpg

Reaction score
I think you can teach them to "bake" just about anything as long as you properly choose what they can help with and supervise them as to any hazards. Teaching them to wait till things cool is a good lesson for adults and children. So bottom line, I think the subject doesn't matter as much as how you can make it safe and enjoyable.
Thanks!

This is the best lesson to learn, and the first. This is where things could really go wrong. If a child is injured during cooking, it might make them not want to cook anymore.

Reaction score
Hello everybody. My kids started with wholewheat bread. They enjoy mixing, kneading, and forming the dough. The next was muffin, then cookies.

Reaction score
I started all my children with cookies. We made them from scratch. They enjoyed the mixing of the ingredients. I used the time to teach how to measure in a cup, and a spoon.
They enjoyed seeing what is involved in the production of a cookie from flour to finished product.

It was a very messy event, hard to clean up, but memorable and fun.

Reaction score
My daughter started with anything that I was baking or cooking at the time. She has always loved to be in the kitchen with me. When she was really small I would let her pour the ingredients into the bowl for me and as she has gotten older I've let her do more and more.

She is 11-years-old now and the only thing that I will not let her do is to put things into or take things out of the oven because I don't want her to accidentally burn herself. She does love to bake though.

Reaction score
The first item a child should bake is a muffin. My children started baking muffin by using the ready made cake mix that is much easier to use than staring from scratch with ingredient. They were excited when the batter was to be poured in the muffin tins. This takes 25 minutes to bake, when it was done you could see the excitement on their faces looking at the golden brown muffins on the cooling rack.

Reaction score
I can't remember what the first thing I baked as a child was - I have a picture of me posing with some scones I made when I was about three though, so possible them. I think cupcakes would be a good starting point for a child - the basic mix is very easy to make, and if they get bored making the actual cake, then decorating can lure them back in! Kids love to decorate cupcakes.

Reaction score
The easiest thing you can have your child cook for the first time is cookies. They are relatively easy to make and can be fun to form.

Reaction score
Let them choose. If you want your child to enjoy being in the kitchen and baking, they need to start out with something simple but something that was their idea as well. I gave my daughter a cake mix and frosting one year for her birthday and she made it all by herself and frosted it and even put the candles on it. She loved doing that and still remembers doing it.

Reaction score
I don’t remember baking with my mother or babysitter in the kitchen, although I am sure I did. I do remember that my mom bought me a cookbook for children and the first thing I made out of it was a cherry merengue pie. It was something I did all by myself, and I made several times. I remember teaching my little sister how to make boxed brownies and then I bought her a bunch of cookie kits sadly many years later they are still in the boxes.

Reaction score
I definitely think cookies are a great way to get started. They're easy and so delicious! And you can help them cut them into shapes or decorate them with frosting or pretty much anything.

Ask a Question