What Is Your Staple Bread?

Reaction score
Bread is one of the basic necessities in my kitchen that I never allow to run out. Loaf has been the staple bread of my family ever since I was a kid until now that I have my own family. Sometimes we also stock up on buns aside from loaf bread.

What type of bread is always on your dining table?

Reaction score
We always had whole wheat bread at home because it had lots of fiber and is a healthy kind of bread too. And I considered this as our staple bread at home. But sometimes we had white loaf bread and bread buns also for us to eat a variety of bread.

Reaction score
Right now at this point in my life I don't eat a ton of bread - I used to, but not so much anymore. We always have plain, white bread in the house though for sandwiches for my daughter. They're quick and easy to make for her lunches so it's definitely our go-to bread.

Reaction score
None honestly and God knows I miss it. When my husband goes out he buys a lot and I have hell trying to stay away. With all the talk about bread not being so good for you, I try to stay away but God knows when I see it I could eat it all day. Buns, salt bread, sliced bread, I could eat it all. I said elsewhere that I have a long weekend and I am dying to try a bread with yeast and having tried this one before with no great success I am a little timid or intimidated.

Reaction score
@Winterybella Long weekends can indeed be a good opportunity to do a little baking or cooking for the family. I remember when I was still studying and we would have a long vacation from school, I would usually do a little cooking with my mom and it also serves as our bonding time together after all the busy schedules we all have. I must admit to being a lousy cook but I'm always grateful that my mom always finds a way to magically fix my lousy cooking. :)

Reaction score
Our usual bread is either the pandesal or the sliced bread. As I had already posted in another thread, the pandesal bread is also called the morning bread because it is usually sold in the morning for breakfast. It is like a small elongated bagel that has a crispy crust on top. With the slice bread, that's what we use for buttered toast or any other continental or American breakfast. But ordinarily, it is the pandesal for us.

Reaction score
@Winterybella Long weekends can indeed be a good opportunity to do a little baking or cooking for the family. I remember when I was still studying and we would have a long vacation from school, I would usually do a little cooking with my mom and it also serves as our bonding time together after all the busy schedules we all have. I must admit to being a lousy cook but I'm always grateful that my mom always finds a way to magically fix my lousy cooking. :)
Sadly, I did no baking at all:(. My son spent the weekend out and my husband was in and out a lot. I did not feel inclined to bake with me being the one would constantly be picking at things. In the end I just cooked a dish my husband likes and just put off the baking. Now everyone is at home again I might do something this week.

Reaction score
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that your plan did not go as you wanted @Winterybella this weekend. But anyway, there's always next time. :) I'm cheering for you now in advance and I wish you success with your next baking plan.

Reaction score
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that your plan did not go as you wanted @Winterybella this weekend. But anyway, there's always next time. :) I'm cheering for you now in advance and I wish you success with your next baking plan.
I've been hit with one of my down moods and I am fighting to get out of it. Everyday since the holidays I have been saying I will bake and nothing happens besides telling my husband what ingredients to bring home. In the end I think I might just bake some scones or rock cakes - something quick and easy. I think if my mom had sent me some bananas I would have been forced to make a banana bread. Whenever she sends me bananas, I bake quickly so I would not have to toss or freeze them.

Reaction score
I love banana bread! :) We also get a lot of banana supply from my brother-in-law who has 2 banana trees in his backyard but sometimes some unfortunately go rotten before we could even consume all of them becaue they're just too plenty. I might as well try making some banana bread the next time I get my free supply.

Reaction score
I love banana bread! :) We also get a lot of banana supply from my brother-in-law who has 2 banana trees in his backyard but sometimes some unfortunately go rotten before we could even consume all of them becaue they're just too plenty. I might as well try making some banana bread the next time I get my free supply.
My mom probably has a lot more than two trees. My husband planted something and I thought it was a banana tree but when it started to produce they were figs instead. Do you know figs? It's like a banana but smaller and tougher. I just did some scones. It was a rush job. Nothing to show and not my best but I did something so I get some flour. :)I don't like a lot of sugar but I feel I should have added a bit more. I did a lot of improvising. Had no blueberries and used raisins.. Had no lemons or oranges and used lime juice. I am the great improviser!!!

Reaction score
Well I always love having dinner rolls at the table with most meals, and for those there is a little local bakery here that makes some really good whole wheat rolls. All you need is a little butter on them and they are great, and the best part is that they are pretty cheap too. You will always find some of those in my home.

Reaction score
My mom probably has a lot more than two trees. My husband planted something and I thought it was a banana tree but when it started to produce they were figs instead. Do you know figs? It's like a banana but smaller and tougher. I just did some scones. It was a rush job. Nothing to show and not my best but I did something so I get some flour. :)I don't like a lot of sugar but I feel I should have added a bit more. I did a lot of improvising. Had no blueberries and used raisins.. Had no lemons or oranges and used lime juice. I am the great improviser!!!

If I understood it right, is it the common fig which usually has a purple or brown color when ripe? I think you've innovated really well by creating scones out of figs. At least you were still able to make something out of another fruit. :)

Reaction score
If I understood it right, is it the common fig which usually has a purple or brown color when ripe? I think you've innovated really well by creating scones out of figs. At least you were still able to make something out of another fruit. :)
DSC_0312.jpg
This is what a fig looks like. It's like a miniature banana but much tougher. Last much longer than a banana. I have never used it in a bread but I got to thinking it should be able to work. It's just that it never gets as mushy as a banana.

Reaction score
@Winterybella Wow! I'm so amazed at how much it looks like banana. Thank you so much for sharing the picture for my further understanding. I was thinking of another kind of fig at first but now that I saw it from your picture, I confess that I could easily mistake it for a banana. :)

Reaction score
My favorite bread is any kind of rye. I enjoy Jewish Rye, Russian Rye, Marble Rye, Pumpernickel and whatever other kids I come across. I also really like French bread (baguettes) and Italian breads that are crispy on the outside and light and airy on the inside. Most of the ones I come across around here are thick and chewy inside, so I don't even bother buying them. Hopefully someday I will find a recipe that makes the inside nice and airy and then I'll try to make it more often.

Reaction score
figs.jpg
Were you thinking of this @gracer ? I think that's what they call figs elsewhere but not in my country. Here in Bim (Barbados) a fig is a miniature looking banana but like I said much tougher.

Reaction score
@Winterybella Yes, exactly! :) You totally got what was in my head. :D

It's actually my first time seeing the banana-looking fig you showed me so I never really thought there was a fig like that. It's really interesting and it got me curious on how it actually tastes like. This is another new information for me. Thank you so much for sharing. :)

Ask a Question