What's the First Thing You Remember Baking?

Reaction score
Growing up my family didn't have a lot of money so my parents always baked our bread and any snacks or treats we might have like muffins, doughnuts, and pies. I feel super lucky that I got to grow up being exposed to that because it meant when I started cooking and baking as an adult I already had a bit of a foundation to build upon.

The first thing I really remember baking by myself (ordering my poor mom out of the kitchen) was a batch of blueberry muffins. They did that thing where they all puffed up and then collapsed and ran together in a big purple greasy mess. So definitely a fail. At one point I also insisted that I wanted to make a banana cream pie all by myself. I made the classic mistake of swapping the salt and sugar, which my dad discovered when he took the first bite.

Even though I got off to a disastrous start I was addicted by that point and I've been baking and cooking ever since :)

How did you get your start baking?

Reaction score
We used to often make scones and serve them with jam and cream and they were the first thing I remember baking. They're still a favorite to this day! Apart from that it was mainly cupcakes that we would bake when I was small, often on my request!

Reaction score
When I was 16 I tried to bake my first cheese pie, sadly I forgot to add more sugar and ended up getting a salty cream cheese pie. I am so glad I gave it another try some weeks later :) Because the next time it was a real hit, I made sure to use a whole can of condensed milk, throw it right with the cream cheese in the blender and the egg and the other things. I felt so proud of myself :D

Reaction score
When I was 16 I tried to bake my first cheese pie, sadly I forgot to add more sugar and ended up getting a salty cream cheese pie. I am so glad I gave it another try some weeks later :) Because the next time it was a real hit, I made sure to use a whole can of condensed milk, throw it right with the cream cheese in the blender and the egg and the other things. I felt so proud of myself :D

I think that's one of the first things I remember about my initial baking experiences - that sense of pride! It was a real accomplishment and I guess as a kid I always thought about how cool it was to mix ingredients in a bowl and then have them turn into something delicious that you could enjoy. Well, I guess I still kind of think that way as an adult!

Reaction score
If it's from scratch it was a simple pound cake and the result was horrible. It turned my mind from baking as I don't like any failure in the kitchen. I feel like I probably made a couple more attempts and decided that baking was not for me. Then I embraced box cakes and never tried another cake from scratch until I joined the forum. Still get a little nervous sometimes but I am getting there.

Reaction score
I think that's one of the first things I remember about my initial baking experiences - that sense of pride! It was a real accomplishment and I guess as a kid I always thought about how cool it was to mix ingredients in a bowl and then have them turn into something delicious that you could enjoy. Well, I guess I still kind of think that way as an adult!

Hehehe, I know, right? Specially when you prepare something new and it turns out delightful!! I had that two years ago when I baked my first carrot cake ever, my mom loved it. So did I, it was my first carrot cake ever and it was delicious! I wasn't so sure about myself or the recipe at first, but it just feels so good when you succeed just like that :)

Reaction score
I love to make cookies of all flavor, my daughter really fond of butter and chocolate cookies so i use to make them generally at any occasion.

Reaction score
When I was 16 years old it is the first time I realized that I have an interest in cooking and baking. I am always in our kitchen watching my mom to all what she is doing. And in fact I always had a notebook and a pen with me and I am writing all her recipes which I had up to now. The first thing I remembered that I baked was a brownies. It was only an easy and simple baking but on my first try it is not that perfect but it had already had good taste. It's not bad at all my mom had said to me at that time.

Reaction score
Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies - in home ec class. They were GOOD! Hate that there are no home ec classes anymore! I learned a lot!

Reaction score
From a very early age, I had to be in the kitchen when my mother baked, and until my first few years of school, she baked EVERYTHING. She never bought Bread, Muffins, Pies, Cakes, Cookies or any other Sweets/Treats. I was on a stool at age 5 doing whatever my mother would let me help with. About the age of 8 I was baking Christmas Cookies... every year it was a production! I equate a lot of memories with the things my mother took out of her oven.

She was born at the beginning of the Depression so everything their family of 12 ate was Raised, Grown or Made from scratch making "Homemade" a part of who she was... store bought was not an option. What my grandmother allowed her to do/taught her to do at a really young age is what allowed me to have those same opportunities. I am fortunate to have grown up that way, it gave me the Passion for baking I wake up with every day.

Reaction score
I don’t come from a family of bakers or chefs, so the first thing I remember baking is boxed brownies. But the first thing I remember REALLY baking is chocolate chip cookies. They came out burnt and I was in a holy horror of salmonella, so i scrubbed the counters madly.

Ask a Question