When you make coffee cake, do you use coffee extract, or actual coffee?

Reaction score
I use a particular brand of vanilla extract that's very pure, and really, really good. I've recently discovered in the stores that you can get a coffee extract made by the same brand. I usually use actual coffee in my coffee cake recipes, and for the buttercream icing too. I wouldn't mind giving coffee extract a shot, but I'd like to k now if anyone here has used it, and if so, was it any good? A part of me thinks that there is no substitute for using actual coffee, but I can't rule out an alternative either.

Reaction score
I have never used either when making coffee cake! This whole time I was under the impression that it was called that because people like to eat it with a cup of coffee.

Reaction score
This is new to me when I make coffe cake it is just a cake that is ment to be eaten with a cup of coffee , I never put any type of coffee in the batter. I do however add coffe to my browines it add a little something unexpected.

Reaction score
It must be a UK thing.....Coffee flavored cake is everywhere here, and as far as I'm concerned, any cake goes well with coffee! ;)

If you've never had coffee flavored cake, you should try it; its my all time favorite cake. I pretty much like anything coffee flavored anyway. :)

This is new to me when I make coffe cake it is just a cake that is ment to be eaten with a cup of coffee , I never put any type of coffee in the batter. I do however add coffe to my browines it add a little something unexpected.

I sometimes add a little coffee to chocolate bakes too - it does add a little more depth, definitely.

Reaction score
It must be a UK thing.....Coffee flavored cake is everywhere here, and as far as I'm concerned, any cake goes well with coffee! ;)

If you've never had coffee flavored cake, you should try it; its my all time favorite cake. I pretty much like anything coffee flavored anyway. :)

I sometimes add a little coffee to chocolate baThis reminds me of the new Dunkin Donuts it has a coffee cream filling made with real coffe. kes too - it does add a little more depth, definitely.

This reminds me of the new Dunkin Donuts it has a coffee cream filling made with real coffe.

Reaction score
If you are talking about coffee flavored cake, I make mine with real strong brewed coffee. I don't like to use extract if I can avoid it.

Reaction score
If you are talking about coffee flavored cake, I make mine with real strong brewed coffee. I don't like to use extract if I can avoid it.

I think I'm with you on that one, Tina Nord! I'm sure the extract is good in some things, particularly if you don't want to have to much moisture, but it would be real coffee for me every time.

Reaction score
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/8421/coffee-cake

I found this thread quite interesting as I have been thinking about making a cake with the actual coffee that I see my husband and mother-in-law drinking everyday. Never once did I think it was a cake you eat while having your coffee. I guess I have a lot to learn. Anyway, I found this recipe that looks kind of interesting. Maybe I will try at it some time in the future.

Reaction score
The coffee cake you eat whilst having your coffee is not something I came across before I joined this forum either, Winterybella. But I've always enjoyed coffee flavoured cakes in all their forms! This is the one that I make:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodandd...ary-Berrys-cappuccino-coffee-cake-recipe.html

It's a really light sponge, and the flavour of the coffee is just right. I'm thinking of making it into cupcakes at some point too.

Reaction score
I love the real thing :) Nothing beats coffee in my mind, after all the extract is just an extract! But the coffee is the real thing and it comes with all the antioxidants ;) I'll stick to coffee always :) By the way... what is the name of that vanilla extract?

Reaction score
The coffee cake you eat whilst having your coffee is not something I came across before I joined this forum either, Winterybella. But I've always enjoyed coffee flavoured cakes in all their forms! This is the one that I make:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodandd...ary-Berrys-cappuccino-coffee-cake-recipe.html

It's a really light sponge, and the flavour of the coffee is just right. I'm thinking of making it into cupcakes at some point too.

Thanks a lot for the recipe, I have bookmarked it :) I'm sure my SO will love it if I make this for him (he loves drinking coffee). I'll make this for him! Plus this cake only calls for very few ingredients!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CAN'T miss a recipe like that... I have all that at home already :p

Reaction score
When I make my black bean brownies, the recipe calls for 1 tsp of instant coffee granules, so that is what it gets. Instant coffee (UK Style). I wouldn't ever consider coffee essence because I don't have any, in the same way that filter coffee would not be considered because I don't have any.

Reaction score
I have only used actual coffee in place of water when I wanted to add coffee flavor to a cake or something like that. I did not know there was such a thing as coffee extract. I would not know how it compares to actual coffee, but I doubt it is that much better. Extracts are just really concentrated, and really pricey, so I think it's easier to just save some coffee for the recipe.

Reaction score
When I make my black bean brownies, the recipe calls for 1 tsp of instant coffee granules, so that is what it gets. Instant coffee (UK Style). I wouldn't ever consider coffee essence because I don't have any, in the same way that filter coffee would not be considered because I don't have any.

Same here, if I already have what I believe is the best option, I'll not go try to get what I believe is the second best option, lol. It would make no sense to me as well. So far happy with the real deal, I have never liked to use extracts, unless there is no better choice.

Reaction score
I've never made coffee cake, but I have made coffee flavored cheesecakes (making me hungry just thinking about them!) and the recipe calls for coffee extract. However, I've had times where I didn't have any coffee extract on hand, so I just got instant coffee and made a very, very concentrated liquid form of what was required. It worked just fine and you couldn't taste the difference from that to the times I've made it with the extract.

Reaction score
I had a recipe for brownies that was given to me by my friend and you have to put a teaspoon of instant coffee powder and not the extract type of coffee flavoring for a twist and it gave the brownies a different taste which is really delicious. But I haven't try making a Coffee Cake and maybe I will use also the actual coffee for an original taste of coffee for the cake.

Reaction score
Now that I am seeing this again I am thinking it's time for me to try my chocolate coffee cake again. I thought it was one of my better experiences in the baking department. Maybe I should try a brownie even but in the case of the cake I loved how moist it was. I think I might use a different coffee, I believe I might have mistakenly used some sort of diabetic coffee type thing but I can't be sure. I can be pretty wild in my baking/cooking at times.

Reaction score
I have used coffee in recipes, but not in coffee cake, since the type I've had is simply to accompany a cup (or pot) of coffee, and doesn't actually have coffee flavoring. I would probably enjoy the coffee flavored cake, since coffee ice cream is one of my ultimate treats, so I'll have to take a look at that recipe and some others, and add that to my list of things to make.

Reaction score
I've always just used Nescafe gold blend straight outta the jar! Quick and easy beautiful tasting Coffee! i would like to get a proper Coffee machine one day though! one with a timer so i can have a fresh Coffee waiting as soon as i get up! That is 1 win for technology! :cool:

Upon writing this i realise you mean Coffee cake.. haha! :rolleyes::oops:

Ask a Question