Tips for Perfect Yorkshire Pudding

Reaction score
OK, so it is not quite baking as such, but it is close. It is a batter that goes into the oven and is expected to rise. It is savoury and almost a normal batter, but sort of a breadish type situation...

The recipe is simple.

100g plain flour (I usually use a 50:50 mixture of strong to plain flour)
2 eggs
275ml milk (milk alternative in my case)
pinch of salt

you pretty much mix all of it together, let it stand for an hour and then pour into a metal tin where the oil is sizzling hot and bung in the oven (425F) until it has risen, and is really brown and crispy. Roughly 40 minutes. You do NOT under any circumstances open the oven door, that is a catastrophic mistake to make with it.

So as you can see, it is a simply batter and pretty much a baking situation just a savoury cake.

The problem is that my husband can not for the life of him get it to rise and I have no idea why. I can't easily make it my self (due to my current mobility issues relating to a bad back) and I have been trying to get him to follow instructions.

Usually the batter will rise about 3 inches or more around the edges and they should turn dark brown. the insides should not rise, but should cook. It's a skill. The oil that you put into the baking tin and heat up prior to the batter being added, should be very very hot. seriously hot. And you must get it into the oven immediately.

So does anyone have any ideas on what he is doing wrong please, because all we get are flat 'pancake' like batters cooked (usually) but not always all the way through. They taste correct, they just don't look correct.

They should look like these. we are aiming for the larger version, less oil and calories involved ...

Yorkies_in_cast_iron_frypan.JPG Yorkshire_Pudding.jpg
(from wiki)

So please, what is he doing wrong. It has always worked for me. that recipe has been in the family for years.... literally decades.... and I have run out of ideas, not to mention eaten too many failures of recent - some not edible as well! I'm at a loss.

Yorkshire Pudding Batter.jpg

Reaction score
I don't know what is going wrong, but I tend to use a mixture of water and milk. I find if the batter is too heavy it won't rise as well when I make a toad in the hole, sometimes it doesn't rise because I haven't whisked the batter enough.

Try whisking and having no lumps and a very fine liquid and that may help?

Ask a Question