Your own tea shop one day

Reaction score
One day I would like to have my own tea shop and sell my cakes, donuts, brownies, muffins, cookies and pies and serve tea, coffee and hot chocolate. I know lots of people have a dream to do this and I really would like to do it. I even have recipes ready and also a menu!

I would also make home made soup to go with the bread I bake. A chowder of the day!
It would be a place people could drop in any time of day and everything would be freshly baked...

Reaction score
Sounds yummy!!! My daughter and I love to read and have talked about opening a bookstore with comfy chairs, a faux fireplace and just a place you want to come and read! Of course we will want it next to a coffee shop so people can bring their coffee and enjoy a book - or tea!!! :)

Reaction score
I really like your idea. There are so many coffee shops around. But not enough tea places. Coffee shops tend to have a dark atmosphere and I always thought a tea shop would be a little more cozy, like country cozy. Any thoughts to your layout?

Reaction score
Not really - other than comfy. Chairs that you just want to curl up in - so to me it means like a conversation area but more conducive to reading. My daughter is only 15 but our ideal life would be to read. And then when we need a break - a TV - and coffee or tea. Lol

Reaction score
I would have sofas and also benches so people can pop in and read the paper while having a snack or work on the laptop. It's about space too and too many small tables take up room and limits who can come in. I would also have a panini press for toasted sandwiches with a choice of breads ( need to learn to bake those!) and morning popovers and savory pastries with cheese and mushrooms in them.

I'm a long way off, but would also do a loyalty scheme say they pay X amount for a cake, coffee and sandwich per week including take out.

Reaction score
That sounds lovely, OP. There aren't a lot of tea shops in the US where people can just go and relax. Your place a sounds a lot cozier than Starbucks. I hope you'll invite us to the grand opening.

Reaction score
I love the idea too. There is a tea shop near me, but it doesn't sound as welcoming as your idea. When I lived in San Francisco, I loved to eat soup and bread for lunch. Actually, it was soup in a bread bowl. I really miss it. Clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl was unbelievably delicious.

Reaction score
Thinking about it i am surrounded by a few coffee shops but not one tea shop and this is like so sad.I really like your idea @Mara as I would gladly go to a tea shop when i need to have myself some me time and just to breathe easy while sipping my favorite tea.;)

Reaction score
My ideal locations would be one on the East coast and one on the West coast, near the sea! As much as I like coffee, being British, tea time and elevenses is always important to me, when you stop for a cup of tea, coffee or chocolate with a light snack.

I know many places are eclipsed by the chains, but good freshly baked food is always more of a draw as long as the atmosphere and the prices are right. I was in one place in New England which was nice, but their menu was written on a black board and nothing was organized, so I stood there for ages trying to read it and just ordered coffee and their brownies were so expensive, nice, but not worth the extra it cost. When I see places like this, it encourages me to do something better.

Reaction score
Very nice. Sounds like you have thought through every angle and have a really good plan in place. I hope it works out for you to do this! I'll come visit too!! :) I'm more of a coffee drinker but your baked goods and sandwiches etc, sound yummy!

Reaction score
You should bring one to the Seattle area. We are over run by coffee shops and could use a nice tea cafe. I really like my morning coffer, but could use some afternoon tea too.

Reaction score
You had a very nice plan of putting a tea shop as your business. It is very interesting because all we had around are all coffee shops and your concepts are good and for a change of place to hang out, eat and relax. Well I am wishing you all the best and for your dream to come true. Good luck! :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your idea sounds wonderful, if we lived in the same are I'd surely go thee :) Maybe have lunch there with come colleagues ;) Would love to have a cup of coffee, buy a tasty muffin and after that maybe eat some of that soup! Would love to lunch like that every Friday! That is how people in most northern European countries lunch ;) They like some bread for lunch... I personally love soups.

Reaction score
My ideal locations would be one on the East coast and one on the West coast, near the sea! As much as I like coffee, being British, tea time and elevenses is always important to me, when you stop for a cup of tea, coffee or chocolate with a light snack.

I know many places are eclipsed by the chains, but good freshly baked food is always more of a draw as long as the atmosphere and the prices are right. I was in one place in New England which was nice, but their menu was written on a black board and nothing was organized, so I stood there for ages trying to read it and just ordered coffee and their brownies were so expensive, nice, but not worth the extra it cost. When I see places like this, it encourages me to do something better.

Ever thought of bring one to the Netherlands? I'm tired of coffee shops that are nothing but coffee shops, lol. I'd love to have a place like that here, so cozy and nice! The atmosphere is everything, I've came int o places that felt so cozy... loved the lighting, the decoration... some places have such a good vibe.

Reaction score
Even though I am in the UK, I'm thinking it will be in the US, attached to the spiritual retreat I am planning. I'm currently building up some recipes and hopefully put it into a book and then maybe get some crowdfunding to get it going.

Who knows, maybe the goods can be franchised later on, but as I am a vegetarian most items will be vegetarian or vegan. Chocolate of course is allowed!

Reaction score
This was a big dream of mine - I don't know that I would be able to achieve it at this point in life, but maybe at some point down the track! I wanted it to be like a used book store where people could just grab a book of the shelves and read it while they had home made baked goods and tea or coffee. I'd want the place to have a vintage warehousey type feel - quite rustic but homely!

Ask a Question