15cm/6in doesn't bake through

Reaction score
Can someone please advise... I have a 15cm/6in cake tin (7cm/3in deep) that I have tried baking a vanilla sponge and a chocolate mud cake in. They are my tried and trusted recipes that I usually bake in bigger pans but for some reason in this smaller pan it doesn't bake through. I have tried turning up the heat, turning down the heat but nothing seems to work. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

It's for the top tier of a wedding cake and I really don't have time to mess it up!

Reaction score
Can someone please advise... I have a 15cm/6in cake tin (7cm/3in deep) that I have tried baking a vanilla sponge and a chocolate mud cake in. They are my tried and trusted recipes that I usually bake in bigger pans but for some reason in this smaller pan it doesn't bake through. I have tried turning up the heat, turning down the heat but nothing seems to work. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

It's for the top tier of a wedding cake and I really don't have time to mess it up!

Anything deeper than 2” OR larger in diameter than 10” requires a heating core. Also if you bake a fragile cake like a chiffon in a regular pan instead of a tube pan.

heating cores are available in
Just over 3” & 4”. I have them in both lengths.

D0D1729C-7791-4B2A-82CA-DD06A5BE6022.jpeg

Place the core under the heating core under the parch
C5A6A75F-CE35-4C05-8B16-52C625988FF4.jpeg

Use a cloth baking strip to keep cake level and preven
AA132460-EF1D-4DF0-B1B6-6EDABA48C1ED.jpeg

Lower oven temperature—especially if you are using a anodized aluminum pan. Example of cakes baked in plain metal and anodized aluminum. Same batter, baked at same time in same oven. Only difference is top cake was baked in anodized aluminum. It conducts heat to intensely and over-bakes the batter. The cakes are dry, form a hard thick crust, and dome. It’s unappetizing and leaves an ugly dark crust line when the cake is sliced and plated.
4378EE46-E0F3-4EF6-A0F5-9544A2EFEDEA.jpeg

This is Fat Daddio brand, but Ateco also makes them.

edit: when baking a larger cake (12” or larger) you will need to put several heating cores in to disperse the heat evenly.

Reaction score
Anything deeper than 2” OR larger in diameter than 10” requires a heating core. Also if you bake a fragile cake like a chiffon in a regular pan instead of a tube pan.

heating cores are available in
Just over 3” & 4”. I have them in both lengths.

View attachment 4386

Place the core under the heating core under the parch
View attachment 4388

Use a cloth baking strip to keep cake level and preven
View attachment 4387

Lower oven temperature—especially if you are using a anodized aluminum pan. Example of cakes baked in plain metal and anodized aluminum. Same batter, baked at same time in same oven. Only difference is top cake was baked in anodized aluminum. It conducts heat to intensely and over-bakes the batter. The cakes are dry, form a hard thick crust, and dome. It’s unappetizing and leaves an ugly dark crust line when the cake is sliced and plated.
View attachment 4389

This is Fat Daddio brand, but Ateco also makes them.

edit: when baking a larger cake (12” or larger) you will need to put several heating cores in to disperse the heat evenly.

Wow, thank you so much for all that info! I wouldn't have thought of using a heating core for a smaller pan. I don't know what my pan is made of but I will look into it.

Reaction score
Can you post a photo?

Is the pan full before baking?
Thank you for the reply. The more I'm looking into it, the more I'm realising I should put less batter in the pan. It's just that it's so deep so I thought it could take a lot.

Reaction score

Moderate the temp when halfway baked.
I've baked thousands of cakes in molds up to 4 inches deep and never had a problem but you have to allow the time for heat to penetrate.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cheryl N.

Latest Threads