3 Ingredient Chocolate Cake

Reaction score
My sister recently gave me a recipe for a 3 ingredient chocolate cake. It is a loaf cake, so you actually bake it in loaf pans. I haven't made it myself just yet, but I did try a piece of the cake she made. It was very good! She said it was incredibly simple and easy to make.
Here's the recipe if you want to give it a try!
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups full fat chocolate ice cream
1 cup cake flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray two loaf pans with oil. (Loaf pans 6 x 2.5)
Heat your ice cream in the microwave for about 30 secounds. (Or leave it out until it is soft/almost fully melted.)
Pour the ice cream in a large mixing bowl. Add the flour and baking soda. Mix them really well so there are no flour clumps. You can either use a mixer or do it by hand.
Pour the mixture into each loaf pan.
Bake the loafs for about 25 minutes.
Enjoy!

Reaction score
I have spotted another "three ingredient" recipe and it looks like something that could work. I actually think the idea is "cool" ice cream and all. The ice cream must have the flavours going on already and all you need is the flour to thicken things up. It sound like a winner. Who else is with me on this?

Reaction score
This sounds very good! I might actually try it, but it might be kinda hard for me not to eat the ice cream instead, lol. but I think this cake can be a life savior if you know you will have visits later that day and you got no time to go buy something else.

Reaction score
It's not exactly 3 ingredients though is it? Ice-cream can contain many times that ingredients. Maybe 3 components cake....

I grabbed the ingredients list off a UK supermarket chocolate ice-cream

Double Cream (Milk) (34%), Whole Milk, Sugar, Chocolate (15%), Pasteurised Free Range Egg, Dried Skimmed Milk, Chocolate contains: Tanzanian Cocoa Mass, Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Vanilla Powder

So the ice-cream is providing the cream, milk, sugar, chocolate, eggs, some more milk, with the chocolate containing, cocoa fat, sugar, fat, vanilla and that is a quite healthy one!

If I take a cheaper version of chocolate ice-cream (and this is mean to be a triple chocolate ice-cream

Reconstituted Dried Skimmed Milk (Water, Dried Skimmed Milk), Sugar, Water, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Fat Reduced Cocoa Powder, Glucose Syrup, Milk Sugar, Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Plain Chocolate Pieces (1.5%), Condensed Milk, Milk Proteins, Tapioca Starch, Dried Whole Milk, Cocoa Butter, Emulsifiers (Mono- and Di-Glycerides of Fatty Acids, Soya Lecithins), Flavouring, Stabilisers (Guar Gum, Sodium Alginate, Xanthan Gum), Cocoa Mass, Dried Skimmed Milk, Plain Chocolate Pieces contains: Sugar, Cocoa Mass, Cocoa Butter, Emulsifiers (Soya Lecithins)

life gets more interesting. Milk, sugar, water, sugar, cocoa powder, sugar, milk, fat, fat, chocolate, condensed milk (which is sugar and milk), milk proteins, starch, milk, fat, emulsifiers (E numbers by name), flavourings, various gums, cocoa mass (fat) milk and chocolate.

What is wrong is making a cake from scratch? It is not exactly difficult, slow or time consuming and the ingredients are fat, sugar, milk, eggs, flour, baking powder and you control the flavour? 6 items if you count the baking powder, 7 if you want a flavour.

Reaction score
Personally, I'm a label reader so I don't think there's anything wrong with making a cake from scratch, but it does a little bit of more work and some people prefer the easiness of a dump and bake. I mean, this recipe isn't a dump and bake but you know what I mean. It's quicker too which some people prefer.:)

Reaction score
I have made ice cream cakes several times and have been very pleased with them. I have used chocolate, vanilla and strawberry ice creams. I also tried it using orange sherbet. All of the were devoured by my family accompanied by lots of compliments. And of course, serve them sprinkled with powdered sugar and a scoop of the ice cream you used in the cake.

Reaction score
This is an interesting kind of chocolate recipe with three ingredients only. I think the ice cream is the winner in the ingredients and for other cake variation I can also use other ice cream flavor. I will surely check and try this recipe. This is a good idea especially when there are unexpected visitors who will go the house and this is something a quick on the go to serve to them. Thanks for sharing. :)

Ask a Question