Recommended mold for 3D chocolate chanterelle cake

Reaction score
Hi,

I´m planning to make a cake with chocolate 3D mushrooms (more specifically chanterelle), and I therefore need some kind of mold. I would deeply appreciate if anyone can recommend a mold which is suitable for my purpose.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum :)

I don't think I've ever seen a chantarelle mould, but I have seen moulding gel which allows you to make your own moulds. You melt it, take a mould of what you want (you could use actual mushrooms for this), and when you're done you can melt it and use it again and again. I've got some on my Amazon wishlist at the moment!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00T33VG8A/ (bear in mind that's a big tub - you can get smaller ones)

I first saw it used on this video:

It would certainly make very life-like mushrooms, but might be quite fiddly. Maybe try and pick mushrooms that aren't too frilly if you decide to do this.

The cake sounds intriguing! Is it for a special occasion?

Reaction score
Dear Becky,

Thank you! I will consider the possibility of using moulding gel, but my first thought is that the mushrooms will be flat on one side. I want (most of) them to stand up straight, not lie on the cake. Perhaps I can put two halves together after the chocolate has stiffened, but I might risk getting a visible joint. But on the other hand, it´s chocolate so it will probably be easy to melt the joint away.

I did find this silicone mold, but the seller does not recommend the mold for food purposes.

The cake will be made in memory of a person who has taught me to like chanterelle. The plan is to make the cake look like a basket with lots of chanterelles.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dear Becky,

Thank you! I will consider the possibility of using moulding gel, but my first thought is that the mushrooms will be flat on one side. I want (most of) them to stand up straight, not lie on the cake. Perhaps I can put two halves together after the chocolate has stiffened, but I might risk getting a visible joint. But on the other hand, it´s chocolate so it will probably be easy to melt the joint away.

I did find this silicone mold, but the seller does not recommend the mold for food purposes.

The cake will be made in memory of a person who has taught me to like chanterelle. The plan is to make the cake look like a basket with lots of chanterelles.

To get rid of chocolate joints - wearing gloves use the warmth of your hands to smooth out the joins. You have to be fast but it can be done. Or have you thought about shaping the mushrooms out of marzipan, which could be dipped in chocolate?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
my first thought is that the mushrooms will be flat on one side

Not if you submerge the mushroom in the gel, then when it has set cut it in half (ie through the mushroom). Then you have two halves of a mould which you can fill with chocolate and join together.

It sounds like a lovely project. Re the soap mould, I can't in good faith recommend you use a product that isn't 'food safe'. I quite like the marzipan suggestion from @Leofric! Could be very effective :)

Ask a Question