5 Steps To Making The Best Artisan Bread

Reaction score
Have you ever heard of artisan bread? Well, just in case you didn't, I "Googled it", lol, and found this definition:

"An artisan baker is a craftsperson who is trained to the highest ability to mix, ferment, shape and bake a hand crafted loaf of bread. They understand the science behind the chemical reactions of the ingredients and know how to provide the best environment for the bread to develop."

So, think you've basically gotten the picture now? Okay, then let's get you on your way to making that perfect artisan bread!

Step 1: Read Thoroughly

Yup, it's just like you're studying for a test: you can't expect to pass with an "A" grade unless you've actually taken the time to read and know the material well. So, it's no different when it comes on to making that artisan bread that you've always looked at in admiration, and wanted to bring home to your table without having to travel to some European country to get it, or pay up to your eyeballs in some big-chain grocery store!
But that doesn't mean you have to read "every bread book you've ever encountered". Pick one reliable bread book and read it from start to finish. This should give you the right idea on techniques and tools to make the perfect artisan bread.

Step 2: Use The Best Ingredients
This tip may seem more obvious or even unnecessary than not, but, I urge you, if you're serious about making the best homemade artisan breads
, then you should invest in the following ingredients:

artisan breads.jpg

Organic Flour, Pure Water, Salt With No Additives (eg. Kosher Salt), Fresh Yeast, or Instant Yeast that you've frozen.

Step 3: Sprinkle In Flour And Mix Vigorously

Yup, you've got to "put your back into it"! Expert bakers urge that you sprinkle in a little bit of flour at a time, and then get to mixing...vigorously! This allows the dough to become "whipped" and works in all the gluten. It's best if you exercise this technique, in a wide, shallow bowl. Make sure that you save back one cup of the flour, to be added when you start kneading the dough on a floured surface.

Step 4: Let it Rest
Everything needs a "break", right? Lol, well that principle applies to the dough for your artisan bread too! This "nap time" for your dough takes place during the kneading process, and actually allows you to shave down your kneading time considerably! Put a little water on the dough during this break-time, because this will allow the dough to rest and absorb it, and become more pliable and able to be molded into shape when you're ready again. Add the salt after the dough has rested, because this stiffens the dough again, getting it ready for the baking process.

Step 5: Allow Your Dough To Rise
You've probably heard this fact before, but I'll say it again: the longer your dough gets to rise, the better the bread will be when it's baked! So, allow even hours for you dough to rise, and you're well on your way to creating the perfect artisan bread!

Do you have any other tips that you'd like to share that'll help us make better artisan breads?!

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this, it was interesting to read. I love artisan bread but I have always been too afraid to make it on my own as it looks like a complicated process. This makes it look easy.

Reaction score
I've been getting into making sourdough breads recently; I find it's more satisfying than regular bread making, plus it's much easier to digest. That said, I love all types of bread making and couldn't envisage ever buying bread again - in fact I haven't bought bread for years!

My favorite type of bread to bake (at the moment) is sweet breads - I love all of these, but ask me next week and it'll probably be something different. ;)

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this, it was interesting to read. I love artisan bread but I have always been too afraid to make it on my own as it looks like a complicated process. This makes it look easy.

It was my pleasure to share! I'm glad you love artisan bread as much as I do! And I'm even more glad, that you've grasped the understanding that even the seemingly "most complex" baking process, can be narrowed down to a few, simple steps, that, if applied in the appropriate manner, and with the care and patience that is accorded to this craft, will yield the desired results, with half the stress!
Note though, that there are other steps that you'll need to incorporate in making this type of bread, and I've just highlighted what I consider to be "the main points". The bottomline and main objective that you should focus on accomplishing, is researching, and seeking the counsel of experienced artisan bread chefs, or even friends or acquaintances of yours, who you may not have even realized, are "artisan-bread-baking-PROS!"

All the best!

Reaction score
I opened a health food store up In my area. I have a kitchen and I have wondered if I could pull this off. I want to bake gluten free breads for the public. anyone have any suggestions on getting this up and running. can I hire you for a bit to get me going? lol
I have in my plan : gluten free soups , salads and homemade breads. another phase is a raw smoothie bar.
I was wondering if I could get this mastered. I was wondering if there was a place in the usa that would have the dough ready for baking. pretty sure I have to figure this out on my own. need some recipes that work. because the ones I have tried and tried just don't seem to work out. then maybe I should try one more time.

Reaction score
I can not help you with regards to your dough question, but I think your gluten free idea is a good one.I would eat at a cafe like this, no problem. Gluten free eating is become very popular even for those with no diet restrictions.

Ask a Question