A baking slump

Reaction score
Who of you has experience this when it comes to your baking. It's been weeks now since I did anything in the baking department and whenever I say I will, I just can get myself going. When I first joined the forum, I was running out and buying stuff and trying all kinds of new things from scratch.

Then life happened and I got so caught up with things, my baking fell by the wayside for maybe a month or more. Granted, I am also watching what I eat, but how can I get my enthusiasm back?

Reaction score
That has happened to me too, many a time. Usually I treat myself to a new baking book, or some new food dyes or different decorations, a new piping bag tip or things like that. Something that will get me excited about it again always draws me back in and helps me get my mojo back!

Reaction score
i always get my enthusiasm back by checking new recipes on Pinterest. I don't plan to be baking so often, but I still like to be checking out for new recipes, because next year I plan to be baking more for my new family :) I might start separating my recipes by categories.

Reaction score
It's like writer's block; it comes and goes. When you get past that fact, you'll start to experiment and broaden your horizons again. If not, look at things like Trellum said - Pinterest and other social media sites to see what people are doing these days, and if they look any good. If you see something you like, just Google it and research it up.

Enthusiasm has to come from within or it's pointless - you can't have someone else pin their likes on you and expect to do good, you have to cook for yourself!

I had slumps too, or weeks where I don't even feel like touching a stove - but we live long lives, why rush every recipe. Try new things a bit at a time and try to re-develop your love for things baked, perhaps? Also, since you're watching weight, perhaps some healthier recipes(that are still tasty?) may apply.

Reaction score
i always get my enthusiasm back by checking new recipes on Pinterest. I don't plan to be baking so often, but I still like to be checking out for new recipes, because next year I plan to be baking more for my new family :) I might start separating my recipes by categories.

Ahh yes, Pinterest works for me too. There's always something that looks so delicious, or inspiring (or sometimes even overwhelming - but it sets me a challenge!)

The internet is a bit of a never-ending source of inspiration. I can usually always find something that interests me enough to get me back into the kitchen. The biggest thing that gets me in a slump is just lack of time. Other things tend to come first before baking, which ends up falling down the priority list a little.

Reaction score
It's true, that the internet has inspired me to go above and beyond my normal comfort zones in order to try new things, but I don't think this is a bad thing at all.

Reaction score
Ahh yes, Pinterest works for me too. There's always something that looks so delicious, or inspiring (or sometimes even overwhelming - but it sets me a challenge!)

The internet is a bit of a never-ending source of inspiration. I can usually always find something that interests me enough to get me back into the kitchen. The biggest thing that gets me in a slump is just lack of time. Other things tend to come first before baking, which ends up falling down the priority list a little.

That is right! You know what I loved the most about Pinterest'?? It's the fact you can find recipes from all over the internet in one single place, then you can pin it in your board and have all those recipes in one place. It's so much easier to keep track of recipes that way.

Reaction score
Just wait till winter. I pretty much take the summer off entirely because the oven heats up the house so much it's just not worth it. It's bad enough we have to pay for the air conditioning we do have, which isn't doing a very good job, but to add heat to it would just make it not able to keep up at all, plus cost more.

Baking is something that is much more enjoyable in colder weather. I think your enthusiasm will come back with the changing seasons.

Reaction score
All the posts were quite encouraging and guess what? I baked yesterday!!!! To some it might not feel like much but I baked FOUR scones. It was a first and I realized I did not have a lot of white flour so I adjusted the recipe and made me some scones. I did not add the amount of sugar called for and I believe I added too much liquid but I fought a little with it and improvised a little and to me it was half decent for my first attempt at coming out of my slump.

So sometimes talking about it can help as well. Thanks a mill. I will look into the healthy aspect of baking some more. I love Pinterest but it's most for cooking.

Reaction score
All the posts were quite encouraging and guess what? I baked yesterday!!!! To some it might not feel like much but I baked FOUR scones. It was a first and I realized I did not have a lot of white flour so I adjusted the recipe and made me some scones. I did not add the amount of sugar called for and I believe I added too much liquid but I fought a little with it and improvised a little and to me it was half decent for my first attempt at coming out of my slump.

So sometimes talking about it can help as well. Thanks a mill. I will look into the healthy aspect of baking some more. I love Pinterest but it's most for cooking.

That's awesome! And yes, sometimes just talking about going through a slump (in whatever aspect of life) makes us own up to it and take control of it! Virtual high five to you for breaking out of the slump and getting back into it! ;)

Reaction score

This works for me, as well. All it takes is a really yummy looking recipe, and I'm itching to bake again, and Pinterest always gives me plenty of ideas I'd like to try. Sometimes it's good to take a break, and try something else, though, and you never know, that might inspire you to try something new when you do return to baking.

Reaction score
This works for me, as well. All it takes is a really yummy looking recipe, and I'm itching to bake again, and Pinterest always gives me plenty of ideas I'd like to try. Sometimes it's good to take a break, and try something else, though, and you never know, that might inspire you to try something new when you do return to baking.

I just baked a batch of fudgy brownies yesterday XD So yes, Pinterest did it again!! I love Pinterest, my fiance just told me yesterday he wants deserts for dinner too, not store bought but made at home D: So I will have to look for more dessert ideas on Pinterest ;) Nothing inspires me more than doing that.

Reaction score
I just baked a batch of fudgy brownies yesterday XD So yes, Pinterest did it again!! I love Pinterest, my fiance just told me yesterday he wants deserts for dinner too, not store bought but made at home D: So I will have to look for more dessert ideas on Pinterest ;) Nothing inspires me more than doing that.

Great that you are satisfying the needs of your fiancé with 'desserts'. They say the way to a man's heart is through his mouth, so feed him all the 'desserts' he calls for;).

I was seeing the recipes intermittently but I was not feeling it at all and then my sister-in-law died and another person close to me died and that did not help at all. I even wanted to bake sometime around the time to share but I was just not feeling it.

Anyway, I made my scones and that made me want to go back soon.

Reaction score
Great that you are satisfying the needs of your fiancé with 'desserts'. They say the way to a man's heart is through his mouth, so feed him all the 'desserts' he calls for;).

I was seeing the recipes intermittently but I was not feeling it at all and then my sister-in-law died and another person close to me died and that did not help at all. I even wanted to bake sometime around the time to share but I was just not feeling it.

Oh, I am so sorry about your loss. You mentioned a funeral recently, right? It was your step sister? or someone close to you has recently died in the last few days? If so, I'm very sorry for your loss. It's always hard to lose someone you lose, I lost my beloved aunt (the wife of my biological uncle, but I always liked her best) just last year. I will miss her calls.

Reaction score

I'm so sorry for your losses. It's particularly difficult when they come in a row like that. There was a point in my family where we lost 5 in 18 months. I'm not sure we've ever truly recovered from that. Be sure to get outside and take some walks, smell the flowers, whatever helps you to feel better. Sometimes being by the ocean helps me, especially when I'm feeling overwhelmed, because it reminds me of how small I am in the scope of things, and that others feel the same way at times. Nature tends to distract me, but for others, it might be spending time with friends, going to a show, reading, etc. Whatever it takes to make you feel better, I hope you're doing it. You'll get back to baking when you feel better. I'm glad you made the scones, hope they were delicious!

Reaction score
I'm so sorry for your losses. It's particularly difficult when they come in a row like that. There was a point in my family where we lost 5 in 18 months. I'm not sure we've ever truly recovered from that. Be sure to get outside and take some walks, smell the flowers, whatever helps you to feel better. Sometimes being by the ocean helps me, especially when I'm feeling overwhelmed, because it reminds me of how small I am in the scope of things, and that others feel the same way at times. Nature tends to distract me, but for others, it might be spending time with friends, going to a show, reading, etc. Whatever it takes to make you feel better, I hope you're doing it. You'll get back to baking when you feel better. I'm glad you made the scones, hope they were delicious!
Thank you so much for your kind words and your suggestion to get out. I have been doing that and it does make a difference. 5 in 18 months is a lot of loss. I send my best regards. I always remind myself that when it appears difficult for me, someone is having it worse.

In happier news, the scones were not great but they were good enough. I just think they were too heavy to be really called scones but they were eaten and enjoyed. My son never got any and did not seem to mind. As for my husband he could have eaten them all in one go.I wanted to tackle them yesterday but I was so tired after long week and cooking in the morning. I will be back at them again. I am so proud of myself and the progress I have made since my 'baking from the box only' days,

Reaction score
This happens to me all the time during the summer because it is just way to hot to even think about baking. I go through slumps and do not have any will power to bake again until fall hits. There is something about the crisp fall air and the smell of fresh baked apple pie that gets me motivated again.

Reaction score
This happens to me all the time during the summer because it is just way to hot to even think about baking. I go through slumps and do not have any will power to bake again until fall hits. There is something about the crisp fall air and the smell of fresh baked apple pie that gets me motivated again.

The thing is that I only have summers so that would never be my reason. Granted some months might be wet and cold but summer is pretty much all I get. Talking about it brought me out somewhat but I still have to be careful and I still don't have the full fever yet.

Ask a Question